Old address= no gun

Guest Revelator

Guest Revelator

Anyone ever been told they couldn't buy a gun because the address on their license wasn't their current address? This happened to me Saturday. I haven't lived at the address on my license in almost two years and in that time I've bought numerous guns. The store where I was at on Saturday (and where I bought a handgun back in January) explained that the ATF had been up their ass lately about it, and had been in the store like two times.

Gun store owners--have you heard anything about this? What's your policy?

BTW, I went on the DOS website today and updated my address and printed out the confirmation page. If I show that to the store I should be good to go. My license actually expires in June so I should go ahead and just renew it.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever been told they couldn't buy a gun because the address on their license wasn't their current address? This happened to me Saturday. I haven't lived at the address on my license in almost two years and in that time I've bought numerous guns. The store where I was at on Saturday (and where I bought a handgun back in January) explained that the ATF had been up their ass lately about it, and had been in the store like two times.

Gun store owners--have you heard anything about this? What's your policy?

BTW, I went on the DOS website today and updated my address and printed out the confirmation page. If I show that to the store I should be good to go. My license actually expires in June so I should go ahead and just renew it.

Dang,

You being a Lawyer should know you have 30 days fromt he time of your move to update the DOS. Failure to do so could mean they send you something that you need to reply to and don't so they cancel your license.:D

I'm raggin on ya but you should have done this long before now.

Guest bhoneycutt

When I had this happen to me a couple of years ago. I went home changed it on the website printed the paper and was fine to purchase my firearm. Also on the website it told me that if I wanted to I could send them some money and they would send me a new license with the updated address or I could just keep the paper with me and it would be the same until I needed to renew. I choose the free version and kept the paper until I had to renew :D

All they really need is a photo ID and something state or federal issued that has your current address on it. So you can use you DL and vehicle registration if you want to, as lo9ng as they get a copy of something with your current address on it.