House Votes Today 4/20/09

These bills are on the agenda for House votes today at 4:00 p.m. (Nashville Time)

1. *HB1778 by *Casada. (SB1992 by *Johnson, *Ketron.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, prohibits confiscations of lawfully possessed firearms and ammunition during periods of martial rule; clarifies firearm and ammunition restriction prohibitions during any state of emergency, major disaster, or natural disaster. - Amends TCA Title 58, Chapter 1, Part 1 and Title 58, Chapter 2, Part 1.

8. *HB0716 by *Niceley, *Fincher, *Watson, *Johnson C, *Dean, *Rich, *Cobb J, *Evans. (SB0976 by *Burchett, *Faulk.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows any resident who has a valid handgun carry permit to possess a handgun while within the boundaries of any state park. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 and Title 70.

11. *HB0960 by *Tindell, *McCord, *Todd, *Jones U, *Evans, *Fincher, *Watson, *Weaver, *Dennis, *Halford, *Shipley, *Rich, *Hensley, *Hawk. (SB1518 by *Beavers, *Burchett, *Jackson.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, authorizes person with handgun carry permit to possess firearm in local, state, or federal parks. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 and Title 70.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. *HB1778 by *Casada. (SB1992 by *Johnson, *Ketron.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, prohibits confiscations of lawfully possessed firearms and ammunition during periods of martial rule; clarifies firearm and ammunition restriction prohibitions during any state of emergency, major disaster, or natural disaster. - Amends TCA Title 58, Chapter 1, Part 1 and Title 58, Chapter 2, Part 1.

Passed 88-4

8. *HB0716 by *Niceley, *Fincher, *Watson, *Johnson C, *Dean, *Rich, *Cobb J, *Evans. (SB0976 by *Burchett, *Faulk.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows any resident who has a valid handgun carry permit to possess a handgun while within the boundaries of any state park. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 and Title 70.

PASSED 71-22

11. *HB0960 by *Tindell, *McCord, *Todd, *Jones U, *Evans, *Fincher, *Watson, *Weaver, *Dennis, *Halford, *Shipley, *Rich, *Hensley, *Hawk. (SB1518 by *Beavers, *Burchett, *Jackson.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, authorizes person with handgun carry permit to possess firearm in local, state, or federal parks. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 and Title 70.

PASSED 77-14 with amendment allowing local parks to opt in if they choose.

Guest bkelm18
So, if I understand this, once this passes Senate we can carry in state and federal parks period and Local unless they are posted?

Fill me in because all this got really confusing over the past couple weeks.

Well once it passes the Senate and gets signed/not signed by the Governor then we can carry in State Parks. Still a no-go for federal parks, since that's up to the federal government. Local parks, as I understand it, is up to each locality once the law passes, the default being no carry in local parks, the locality must decide to allow it.

Well once it passes the Senate and gets signed/not signed by the Governor then we can carry in State Parks. Still a no-go for federal parks, since that's up to the federal government. Local parks, as I understand it, is up to each locality once the law passes, the default being no carry in local parks, the locality must decide to allow it.

Allright that's kinda what I thought, but wasn't sure. I really just want to be able to carry when camping since I can't carry in MS parks either.

Guest JavaGuy

Don't forget that each bill has an effective date. For the purposes of argument, say that the Governor signs Bill A on 5/30/2009. It will go into the books but will not be effective until whatever date is on the bottom of the bill. So Bill A might be signed on 5/30/2009 and become effective on 6/1/2009, a wait of a couple of days. It might become effective on 7/1.. a wait of roughly one month.

I'm adding that qualification simply because I've seen some people post things like, "It passed the Senate.. we can carry now...", and that's simply not the case. Until it gets through ALL of the steps in the process, including waiting until the effective date of the legislation arrives, it isn't the law of the land.

Guest crotalus01

So just for clarification - local parks must specifically allow carry, otherwise it is presumed a prohibited location? <sigh>

Guess it really doesnt matter since I am in the liberal stronghold of Memphis, but that sucks if thats the way it is - it pretty effectively makes that bill a waste of time. No city is going to vote to allow local park carry unless something crazy happens.

Guest SomeGuy

The restriction on federal lands is important though. We don't need it to be a state crime as well. The fewer restrictions, the better.

Plus, as I understand it, Forests (not Parks, this is a different agency) have no prohibitions on carry. It is a purely state level restriction.

So just for clarification - local parks must specifically allow carry, otherwise it is presumed a prohibited location? <sigh>

Correct. Also they are not required to post unless they allow carry in part of the park, but other parts.

Guess it really doesnt matter since I am in the liberal stronghold of Memphis, but that sucks if thats the way it is - it pretty effectively makes that bill a waste of time. No city is going to vote to allow local park carry unless something crazy happens.

Actually I work with a county commissioner of the county I used to live in. He is a HCP holder and said he would vote to allow carry in his counties parks if it ever comes up.

It may be a good idea to go to your city council and/or county commission meetings. Get to know the people. Talk with the head of the parks department. Just in general first. Then at some point bring up this issue. Granted in some places it may not make a difference, but it is worth a shot. Remember the bill gives them practically full discretion. They can prohibit carry at the little league ball fields (if they want) but still allow it on the walking tracks, camping areas, etc....

The restriction on federal lands is important though. We don't need it to be a state crime as well. The fewer restrictions, the better.

Plus, as I understand it, Forests (not Parks, this is a different agency) have no prohibitions on carry. It is a purely state level restriction.

Don't know the bill number right now, but I believe there is a bill to allow carry in National Forrest in TN. Not sure of the status...

I don't know if you are allowed to carry in national forests, but I do know that they have a shooting range INSIDE the Cherokee National Forest in Unicoi County. I've been there many times. I would think that carry is okay in national forests within Tennessee, but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't gotten my HCP yet, but plan to soon, so I haven't checked the regs.

Cliff

Guest bkelm18
Don't forget that each bill has an effective date. For the purposes of argument, say that the Governor signs Bill A on 5/30/2009. It will go into the books but will not be effective until whatever date is on the bottom of the bill. So Bill A might be signed on 5/30/2009 and become effective on 6/1/2009, a wait of a couple of days. It might become effective on 7/1.. a wait of roughly one month.

I'm adding that qualification simply because I've seen some people post things like, "It passed the Senate.. we can carry now...", and that's simply not the case. Until it gets through ALL of the steps in the process, including waiting until the effective date of the legislation arrives, it isn't the law of the land.

Well I was just over simplifying. Punisher seems like a pretty smart guy. :P

There are lot of places that you can hunt, but not otherwise have a firearm, especially a handgun.

There are also shooting ranges in state parks, where carry is prohibited, for now anyway.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure about carry in National Forrest in TN either. I have talked with the guy at handgunlaw.us about it. Neither of us can find a TN code against it, but he says if ever post it is legal, he gets countless e-mails saying it is illegal.

Plus it wouldn't be the first bill introduced to make something specifically legal, that is general accepted as legal already.

There are lot of places that you can hunt, but not otherwise have a firearm, especially a handgun.

There are also shooting ranges in state parks, where carry is prohibited, for now anyway.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure about carry in National Forrest in TN either. I have talked with the guy at handgunlaw.us about it. Neither of us can find a TN code against it, but he says if ever post it is legal, he gets countless e-mails saying it is illegal.

Plus it wouldn't be the first bill introduced to make something specifically legal, that is general accepted as legal already.

Thanks Fallguy. That clears things up.(sorta?:rofl:) I wasn't even aware that there were state parks in TN that had shooting ranges. The best news for me in HB0716, if I'm reading it right, is that now every state park will have a shooting range. The nearest free range for me was about 30 miles one way. Now(well sometime in the future anyway, assuming the bill passes the Senate and is signed by the Governor) I'll have one within 10 miles round trip.:lol:

Cliff

Ummm....well not every state park has a firing range. I just know for sure that Natchez Trace state park close to me does.

It looks like the Amendment that would have created firing ranges in state parks was tabled, therefore did not pass as part of the bill.

Something else I just noticed....it appears this bill would only allow TN residents to carry in state parks and not those from other states. Anyone know why?

Ummm....well not every state park has a firing range. I just know for sure that Natchez Trace state park close to me does.

It looks like the Amendment that would have created firing ranges in state parks was tabled, therefore did not pass as part of the bill.

Something else I just noticed....it appears this bill would only allow TN residents to carry in state parks and not those from other states. Anyone know why?

Dang. I didn't realize Amendment 2 got tabled.:rofl: I don't know why it would be TN residents only. If we trust other states programs enough to have reciprocity agreements with them, why not live up to those agreements fully?