Pocket Guns

Guest robert83

Guest meyerbj81

If you are dead set on 9mm s&w makes the model 940. Perfect compromise of a j frame revolver in 9mm with 5 shots (I believe). They can be found, with a good search, for around 600 something....check gunbroker, they show up there from time to time

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dizzielizzie

I have the Kahr MK9 and can conceal it just fine. I don't care much for the feel of a polymer frame gun, and there's only an 8 oz. difference. But I passed my handgun safety class with it...!

Picked mine up for $525 as "used but new" because the shop I bought it from bought out another shop and had to sell it as used. They were asking $575 but it came with one 6 round magazine and no box, and I called them out on it. But I know I got a good deal, been seeing kahrs for around $700 new, and was told it's worth 600 used (?)

Found magazines at the Franklin Gun Shop, but all they had was one 6 rnd and two 7 rnd mags (bought all 3.) Saw a 6rnd at the Outpost off of hwy 24 (have you been there yet? wish I had a couple grand and a full-sized pickup, just load me up a skid of 9mm please!)

Edited by dizzielizzie
If you are dead set on 9mm s&w makes the model 940. Perfect compromise of a j frame revolver in 9mm with 5 shots (I believe). They can be found, with a good search, for around 600 something....check gunbroker, they show up there from time to time

The only problem with the 9mm revolvers is the blasted moon clips and the fact the cases tend to get a little stuck in the chamber. I have shot the S&W and I own the Taurus 905.

I happen the enjoy shooting the taurus at the range but I don't think I would ever use it as a CCW becasue reloading can be a task sometimes.

Charter is suppose to come out with rimless revolvers in 9mm, 40, and 45 but they have been delayed from what I hear. They have supposedly masterd the rimless and don't use moon clips. Guess we'll see....

As long as you're open to a .380, I'd look at the Sig P232. I didn't see that suggested yet, and it's really a well made gun that points well and feels terrific in your hand (be sure to hold it with a magazine in place, as the lip at the bottom helps with the grip). If you're in the area and want to shoot mine, I'll be glad to meet you at the range. I can also loan you a box of .380 indefinitely, as I have plenty.

Guest wordsworth

I used to like my Bersa, but it's starting to feel bulkier & heavier than I want. I might need to move to the PM9.

The only problem with the 9mm revolvers is the blasted moon clips and the fact the cases tend to get a little stuck in the chamber. I have shot the S&W and I own the Taurus 905.

I happen the enjoy shooting the taurus at the range but I don't think I would ever use it as a CCW becasue reloading can be a task sometimes.

Charter is suppose to come out with rimless revolvers in 9mm, 40, and 45 but they have been delayed from what I hear. They have supposedly masterd the rimless and don't use moon clips. Guess we'll see....

I think these are on the market now. I saw one recently but am not sure where it was. I THINK it was a Charter Arms at Guns for America on Powell Ave.

• 1 month later...
....Charter is suppose to come out with rimless revolvers in 9mm, 40, and 45 but they have been delayed from what I hear. They have supposedly masterd the rimless and don't use moon clips. Guess we'll see....

Well, they've obviously not mastered them yet! :drama:

After some pretty big hoopla on their site, they aren't even mentioned now!

- OS

I have the Kahr MK9 and can conceal it just fine. I don't care much for the feel of a polymer frame gun, and there's only an 8 oz. difference...

Half a pound is a significant consideration for any kind of carry.

For pocket carry, half a pound is huge!

- OS

A comparison of:

Walther PPS, Kahr PM9, KT PF9

PPSPM9KTPF9.jpg

DSC02416.jpg

Again, Walther, Kahr, KT.

Keltec in my view is too large for the pocket. Walther too Heavy and ergonomically the Walther didn't work for me.

Here is a comparison of a Rohrbaugh R9S and a Kahr MK40, same size as a PM9.

R9s-MK40.jpg

I don't particularly care for the Euro mag drop. Very slow and inconvenient.

I don't think the R9 has a slide lock on the last round. The Kahr has both conventional mag release and locks back on the last round.

Here is a Seecamp LWS 32/380 vs R9

R9s-LWS.jpg

And a Seecamp vs Walther PPK

PPK-LWS.jpg

Edited by DAdams
text
Guest Phantom6

We are a Seecamp dealer and I not only love Larry's work but carry a LWS32 every day. It's my American Express piece. I simply don't leave home without it. Currently the wait time on the LWS380 is 23 months and a dealer can not have more than three (3) of them on order at a time. Ugh!

There is hope however, as a Sig dealer as well, we're excited to note that Sig Sauer has just released their new P238 (and we've got 'em). This pistol is simply phenomenal. Many compare it to the Colt Mustang but it is head and shoulders above the Mustang. It is made to compete with the Ruger LCP and the Kel-Tec P3AT but it leaves them in the dust. This pistol is built on an anodized alloy beavertail style frame with the undercut trigger guard for comfort and has a stainless steel slide featuring the the Sig slide serrations. It will shoot right along with the Sig's big guns.

Frame Material: Aluminum

Frame Finish: Black Hard Coat Anodize

Slide Material: Stainless Steel

Slide Finish: Nitron or Natural Stainless

Grips: Fluted aluminum or Rosewood

Length Overall: 5.5â€

Height Overall: 3.9â€

Width Overall: 1.1â€

Barrel Length: 2.7â€

Sights: Post & Dot Contrast, SIGLIGHT Night Sights

Sight Radius: 3.8â€

Weight w/out mag: 15.2 oz.

Mag capacity: 6 rounds.

Guest Muttling

I can carry my M&P 340 .357 in the pocket of a bathing suit (it only weighs 11 ounces empty). I love it for concealed carry, but it kicks like country mule.

P2120038.jpg

That's debatable. I can draw from my pocket much faster than I can from my belt. The only reason I don't pocket carry 100% of the time is because I prefer 13 shots on my belt vs. 5 shots in my pocket.

Unless you are talking about starting with your hand on the gun in your pocket, you seriously need to work on your belt holster draw.

Guest jimdigriz
I have a Kel Tec PF 9 in 9mm but the recoil is horrible. The smaller PPS in 9mm is so smooth. If you can find one, get the PPS.

I've got a PPS, and I agree with your evaluation of it. I don't really see it as a pocket gun though; it's just a little too large for that.

Guest 3pugguy
Boy, do I feel like odd man out.

Colt 1903M .32 (X2)

Colt 1907

Guess I'm behind the times... :devil:

Nice guns you got there!

I have a Kel-tec P32 BUG, with the mag extension (10 +1). I am accurate with it at the range I would anticipate use (7 yds and in).

I know some folks don't like them, but I have a Kel-Tec P11 that I pocket carry. I wear fairly baggy jeans, so I can fit it in the strong side front pocket with no problem. I have an after market magazine that allows me to carry 12rds of 9mm. Not to shabby, in my opinion.

TK47

Cool comparison pics! Thanks.

Edited by TK47
Addendum
Guest JHatmaker
I don't think the R9 has a slide lock on the last round. The Kahr has both conventional mag release and locks back on the last round.

You are correct about the R9s, the slide does not lock back on the last shot. That's the one thing I would change about the gun. I love everything else about it, and always have it in my back pocket.

Great comparison shots, very informative.

Guest JHatmaker
As long as you're open to a .380, I'd look at the Sig P232. I didn't see that suggested yet, and it's really a well made gun that points well and feels terrific in your hand (be sure to hold it with a magazine in place, as the lip at the bottom helps with the grip). If you're in the area and want to shoot mine, I'll be glad to meet you at the range. I can also loan you a box of .380 indefinitely, as I have plenty.

I owned a P232, and it was an awesome gun, but as far as a pocket gun, it was just too big. Also, you can get smaller guns in a 9mm, so I kinda thought, what's the point of having it. Is was smooth as silk to shoot, but it's not like I'm going to go to the range and pop off 200 rounds of hard to find .380. That, and the anticipation of the P238, are why I sold it.

I'll probably get another one some day, just b/c I loved the look and feel in my hand. But as far as a pocket gun, I would not recommend it. I ended up getting a P238 and it's starting to push the Rohrbaugh back into the safe; it's just so light and small, I forget it's there.

Edited by JHatmaker
Guest MERRILL

I own a Keltec PF9 and cannot recommend it. Trigger too stiff, unless you fully release the trigger after each shot it will not fire the next round. As far as recoil is concerned I don't find it bad at all.