LCR or 642?

nolo

I just sold a S&W 642 a couple months ago. I'm having seller's remorse. So I'd like to pick up another revolver. I really liked the feel and concept of the LCR that I held the other day. I know how good the 642 is, but I've already had one. Do you think the LCR is worth a look? They are both the same price. And both are rated for +P.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty tempting to try it out. Ruger has a pretty good reputation when it comes to revolvers. So my gut tells me that it will be a great gun. I talked to a State Trooper that traded his 642 after shooting the LCR. He carries his as a backup everyday.

The 642/442 definitely look better.

The lcr has a sweet trigger. I don't like the oversized grip it comes with. It makes it seem big. Hopefully hogue or someone will come out with a boot grip if they haven't already. The overall profile was more like a centennial The one I looked at had a little rattling sound to it that irked me. Could have been just that one but I doubt it. If I had to choose today I'd go 642. A year from now could be different.

I forgot about the rattle. The one I held had a rattle too. The shop said they could not figure out where the rattle was coming from. It only rattled when it was empty. So that should not be a problem.

Go for the LCR. If it turns out that you just hate it you should be able to sell it really quick.

Wow, good point! I personally think the LCR is one butt-ugly piece that doesn't present any real advantages over the 642, IMO. (Like my opinion actually matters! :up:) But, given that you probably could turn around and break even, give or take a few bucks, on the deal... I'd probably buy the LCR just to try it out some.

Being the Smith junkie I am, I'd probably find something not to like about, sell it, and then buy another 642! :up:

I do like some ruger guns, and want another GP100 bad right now... but a composite revolver is just not on my wish list.

the 642 has a proven reputation.

the LCR may be the greatest gun ever made, but we really don't know yet.

+1

Buy the 442 this time. It is the same as 642 other than color and it'll be different for you. Give the LCR time to prove itself before you jump on the bandwagon.

Guest NotDylan

Lot of the gun writers really like the LCR. Mas Ayoob is a big fan of it but I've yet to even see one in person to form a first hand opinion.

It's definitely a gun I'm interested in, the trigger and and the tame recoil (compared to the j frames I hear) are selling points for me.

Guest Todd@CIS
the 642 has a proven reputation.

the LCR may be the greatest gun ever made, but we really don't know yet.

+1

One is proven...one is not.

Guest Grout

The LCR may end up being a great gun,but it is so ugly I'll never own one.I vote for the 642 or even a 442 or 638 to change things up a bit like somebody said.

I have some super Ruger .22s (Bearcat, MK II and 10/22) so I know the company makes some really good guns, but I find it hard to like a gun that looks like it should in a kid's hand shooting roll caps! It just doesn't look real!

Guest Grout
I really like the looks of the 442. Is there a difference between that and the 642 as far as performance goes? My 642 scratched pretty easily, but its only cosmetic.

No difference in the trigger,yes the clearcoat does scratch but hey it's a tool,not a safe queen.