My new addiction! FINALLY

Guest canynracer

Guest canynracer

I am sooo excited... Remington 700 30-06. Couldnt resist the deal...and WOW it kicks like a mule!! lots of fun, and my new addiction.

img00102n.jpg

img00103s.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice.

I have always been told that the 700 is the most accurate, out of the box, rifle on the market. I do not know if that is supported by anything, but that is what everyone says before they start telling how inferior my 7400 is to any bolt action on the market.

Guest canynracer

Thanks guys...I will find out what type of optics it has..LOL...I have read it 3000 times, but I forget the name an hour later...

the groups were great considering it is my first rifle...

I need to get a bi-pod...anyone have any suggestions?

Guest canynracer
Very nice, looks like a m-24. What optics are you using and how were your groups ?

It came with a Redfield Tracker SE 4x-9x...I can already tell I am gonna spend lots of money on optics..lol

I dont know crap about optics...the groups were good,

img00105e.jpg

the ones in the red and closest to it are at 50yds...the upper left is at 100yds...the flyer off to the top left was my first shot the kick suprised me..lol

there are some 22 in there too, I got the 22 at the same time as the 30-06..winchester 290.

img00104h.jpg

not bad for the first time I guess..I will get better...lol

Edited by canynracer
Guest Mugster

Thats pretty good shootin, imo.

Redfield, defunct for a few years, used to make a pretty good scope for the time. Somebody bought the redfield name and started started selling scopes under it. I know nothing about the new ones. I have an old redfiled 5 star 4-12 that I still shoot. Against modern coated optics it comes up short, but it has good glass in it.

Canyn,

no need to unload lots of $$ on a scope just yet--that Tracker will do well for a while. I bought one of these back in the mid-90s, and I think I paid ~$150 for it new. I wasn't overly impressed with it, but it served me well. It was extremely durable, but the glass could have been better--it wasn't the brighest scope I'd ever used. My dad ended up with one, and his seemed brighter, though. Now, my deer rifle has a Redfield Low Profile Widefield 3-9, and it's on par with a Leupold VX-II series. If you do upgrade, I'd look at Leupold before anything else.

Guest canynracer

Thanks, I am not really hot on fire looking right now, as you stated, this is serving me well for now...

but I DO want a bipod. The new glass will come, I need to master this first...I am sure I wont know the difference for a while.

But yeah, need the bipod.

Guest Mugster

Rather than a bipod, I recommend a good front rest and a rear bag. Bipods are more for field shooting prone. With high grass or in a forrest, a bipod is essentially worthless, and its not as steady as even a semi-decent rest setup. And its heavy. Bipods are generally for machineguns, not rifles.

A decent, bang for the buck, rest setup. You can spend more, but you won't shoot any better. You can spend less and not shoot as well, imo.

Front rest (high enough to work with an ar and a 20 rounder):

MidwayUSA - Caldwell Rock Jr. Rifle Front Shooting Rest

Rear:

MidwayUSA - Caldwell Universal Deluxe Rear Shooting Rest Bag Nylon and Leather Unfilled