Has anybody fired the 6.8 round? What do you think, pros/cons? I was thinking about picking one up but don't know much about the caliber. I've never been fond of the 5.56/.223 round because it's such a light round and I'm trying to decide whether to pick up something in 7.62 or some other caliber, 6.8.

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody fired the 6.8 round? What do you think, pros/cons? I was thinking about picking one up but don't know much about the caliber. I've never been fond of the 5.56/.223 round because it's such a light round and I'm trying to decide whether to pick up something in 7.62 or some other caliber, 6.8.

Thanks.

Haven't shot one. Info from an article I read...I'm going to summarize since I don't have it in electronic form.

Since the short barrel M4 is gaining wide use, the 5.56 is even less effective. The 5.56 bullet must be traveling over 2,700 fps to disrupt tissue, and that disruption happens after 5 inches of penetration.

However the military has proven that the 6.8 SPC bullets disrupt tissue within the first 1 to 2 inches of contacting the target. It causes massive tissue damage at any velocity higher than 2,100 fps. Basically, it offers twice the energy at longer ranges when compared to the 5.56

IMO, it depends on what you need the rifle to do. It far out performs the 5.56, so if that's what you're looking for, go for it.

Edited by Trekbike

from what i have read the 6.8 outperforms the 5.56 in every aspect except for mag capacity in same size magazine, 20 vs. 30 in standard hi cap mag.

also the 6.8 packs more punch ballistically than the 5.56 at every range from muzzle to max effective range

Had a Kotonics 6.8 (now Cardinal Arms) and it was a great shooter. You won't notice much of a difference over the 5.56 shooting wise but it does pack a better punch on the end. Lots of heartfelt discussion about this round vs 6.5 Grendel over on ARFCOM.

Run over to a friend of mines site, 68forums.com for the low down from people that know all there is to know about the round.

from what i have read the 6.8 outperforms the 5.56 in every aspect except for mag capacity in same size magazine, 20 vs. 30 in standard hi cap mag.

also the 6.8 packs more punch ballistically than the 5.56 at every range from muzzle to max effective range

25 to 30 mag difference, but you don't need as many extra shots to take down your target. :rolleyes:

I had Cardinal/Ko-tonics upper a couple years ago and sold it (shouldn't have). Just picked up a new Stag upper. The 6.8 is far superior to the 5.56 in every way except at extreme range, but at distance the 5.56 doesn't do anything anyway. Here are some of the links i use for info.

http://68forums.com/forums.php

6.8SPC FAQ