Attention LEO's... What ammo are you guys carrying?

Guest CK1

first off, thanks for doing what you guys do... your service is appreciated.

so after reading quite a bit about what ammo is the best choice for carry, seems there is a general common sense consensus that carrying something identical or as close as possible to what is issued/carried by your local law enforcement is generally a wise choice (based on departments doing the homework/performance research for us, as well as the possible courtroom advantages in, god forbid, the event of having to use one's weapon and having to mount a legal defense).

hoping you guys could post what you're issued/carrying as per your TN department (caliber, brand, grains, P+ or +P+, etc)? thanks.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Todd@CIS

FYI

Metro Nashville has issued Winchester 165gr Ranger-T for 10+ years. Starting next year they will be going to the Speer 165gr Gold Dot.

Since it isn't a performance issue (the 165gr Ranger-T has worked extremely well in officer involved shootings), I suspect it's a money thing. Gold Dots are ALOT cheaper for LE than Ranger-Ts.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest Todd@CIS
We are issued the Ranger 40 s&w. I think it is +p+, not sure as we fill our mags and leave the boxes at the dept.

It's not. No such animal as Ranger +P+ in .40. :P

FYI

Metro Nashville has issued Winchester 165gr Ranger-T for 10+ years. Starting next year they will be going to the Speer 165gr Gold Dot.

Since it isn't a performance issue (the 165gr Ranger-T has worked extremely well in officer involved shootings), I suspect it's a money thing. Gold Dots are ALOT cheaper for LE than Ranger-Ts.

:cool: Just proof the politicians care more about the bottom line than performance. GD are very outdated.:D

Guest Todd@CIS
:drunk: Just proof the politicians care more about the bottom line than performance. GD are very outdated.:stare:

?

I don't neccessarily disagree with your first statement, but you second is flat wrong. The Gold Dot offers excellent terminal ballistic performance.

Also, if you have two rounds that pass all testing, but one is 20% cheaper than the other, I don't see a problem with going with the less expensive.

It's fiscally smart when you're buying for a 1300-1400 officer Department.

?

I don't neccessarily disagree with your first statement, but you second is flat wrong. The Gold Dot offers excellent terminal ballistic performance.

Also, if you have two rounds that pass all testing, but one is 20% cheaper than the other, I don't see a problem with going with the less expensive.

It's fiscally smart when you're buying for a 1300-1400 officer Department.

Gold Dots do poorly in every test I have seen ( in comparison to newer offerings) and tend to "clog" pretty significantly.

BTW - I should add this is in 9mm. Other calibers may fair better.

Edited by Smith
Gold Dots do poorly in every test I have seen ( in comparison to newer offerings) and tend to "clog" pretty significantly.

A 9mm GD might expand, but a 45 GD won't contract.

Guest Todd@CIS

While any bullet can fail, the only Gold Dots that offer consistant sub-par performance are these...

.380ACP 90gr (this goes for EVERY .380 JHP that I've seen)

.38SPEC 125gr +P (but still pretty equal to other 125gr loadings)

9mm 115gr +p+

.40 165gr medium velocity (discontinued, current 165gr is full power)

Wealth of info here...

Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads - M4Carbine.net Forums

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

http://le.atk.com/general/irl/woundballistics.aspx

The best Gold Dot offerings are these and they offer superior performance...

.38SPEC 135gr +P

9mm 124gr +P

.40 155gr, 165gr, and 180gr

.45ACP 230gr

Admittedly, I don't pay much attention to .357SIG

Edited by Todd@CIS
While any bullet can fail, the only Gold Dots that offer consistant sub-par performance are these...

.380ACP 90gr (this goes for EVERY .380 JHP that I've seen)

.38SPEC 125gr +P (but still pretty equal to other 125gr loadings)

9mm 115gr +p+

.40 165gr medium velocity (discontinued, current 165gr is full power)

.45ACP 200gr +P

Wealth of info here...

Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads - M4Carbine.net Forums

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

LE - Wound Ballistics

The best Gold Dot offerings are these and they offer superior performance...

.38SPEC 135gr +P

9mm 124gr +P

.40 155gr, 165gr, and 180gr

.45ACP 230gr

Admittedly, I don't pay much attention to .357SIG

You are correct. I was mixing my Hydrashok data with the Gold Dot. Hydrashoks ARE very outdated. Gold dot's not so much. I still think however there are much better options. Ranger-T's are priced well and perform better.

Aw come on man... you're a TGO'er and an Officer. It's your sworn TGO duty to not be "that cop" that never shoots much and doesn't know what he carries. It's in the bylaws. :up:

LOL. I do shoot regularly, but I don't get real concerned about equipment!