Must watch movie/television recommendations & interesting shows

Links2k

12 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Speaking of super hero movies, I caught this one on Amazon Prime last night. " Samaritan" starring Sylvester Stallone. Been out a couple of years, but still on Prime. 

13 year old inner city kid suspects that his aging, quiet neighbor is actually a super hero who was thought to have died years ago. Vicious bad guys and lots of action. Its worth a watch. 😉

Sly lost me when he came out publicly as an anti-gunner during an interview for his new movie "bullet to the head".

• Like 1
12 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

Sly lost me when he came out publicly as an anti-gunner during an interview for his new movie "bullet to the head".

I was just bragging about Stallone taking a stance against hollywood's wokeness and now he's on my butthurt list too.

I know it makes me a hypocrite, but Reynolds and Jackman are anti-gunners too, but I just handed over my hard-earned money to watch their movie. There's a few actors who've lost me forever (DeNiro, Jim Carrey, Will Smith to name a few), but that makes me a hypocrite too. They likely don't share any views most of hollywood don't also share.

There's no winning this. I either give up all forms of entertainment or quit keeping score about what side they are on. I wish I didn't know what I already know. Ignorance would be bliss.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I saw Aliens: Romulus today. I didn't expect much, given everything beyond part 3 has been awful.

Bottom line up front: I was an Alien/ Aliens super fan. I read the books And comics when I was young. Heck I still have some of the models and toys. Alien 3 (though good) was a departure from the source IMHO. All the AvP stuff and Prometheus movies deserve to be wiped from existence.

I have to admit, I liked Romulus quite a bit. It felt like it was set in the universe. The sets looked awesome. Yeah it had all the aliens tropes, but it felt good. Riiiiight up until the last act. They blew it in my opinion. I won't say how or why to avoid spoilers, but if you read what I hate about the genre, you'll know when you get to the part.

There wasn't any woke or political crap either. The protagonist is a female, as per usual. The aliens series is an allegory for motherhood Anyway. Alien Impregnation, the eggs, female leads. Even the computer is MU/TH/UR. The lead actress did a good job and so did the rest of the cast.

It's worth it, even if the last of it sucked.

I just wish we could get more colonial Marines. Why is that so hard?

On 8/18/2024 at 2:54 AM, NoBanStan said:

It's worth it, even if the last of it sucked.

Agreed. I saw it last Thursday. An enjoyable ride but left something to be desired in the last act.

I liked the not-so-subtle Easter egg of the Science Officer android's name. 🙂

• Like 1
On 8/23/2024 at 5:48 PM, Links2k said:

I’m just finishing up the six part series “Wyatt Earp and The Cowboy War” on Netflix narrated by Ed Harris. I enjoyed it more than expected. 

Thanks for the head's up. I watched this over the past few days and it's pretty decent. Interesting take on the subject(s).

My local cable/internet carrier just added Paramount+ at no additional charge (they charge enough already!). I've been watching 1923. Being a Yellowstone fan I am thoroughly enjoying it. Well made with good characters thus far. Taylor Sheridan does good work.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Thanks for the head's up. I watched this over the past few days and it's pretty decent. Interesting take on the subject(s).

My local cable/internet carrier just added Paramount+ at no additional charge (they charge enough already!). I've been watching 1923. Being a Yellowstone fan I am thoroughly enjoying it. Well made with good characters thus far. Taylor Sheridan does good work.

1923 was great!

• Like 2
On 8/23/2024 at 4:48 PM, Links2k said:

I’m just finishing up the six part series “Wyatt Earp and The Cowboy War” on Netflix narrated by Ed Harris. I enjoyed it more than expected. 

My wife and I just started watching, and the first two episodes are good. I'm learning something, but enjoying it anyway. 

• Like 2

Not sure if anybody mentioned Shogun on Hulu I think?  I finally finished it (takes me a long time to watch a show, much less a season).  I thought it was well done.  I read the book maybe 25 years ago and got it back out.  I hear a season 2 is in the works.  I hope so.  

• Like 1

Shogun, The Gentleman(Netflix series, not the movie), Jack Ryan, and Ted Lasso are probably my favorite recent series. I liked the Terminal List but Jack Carr has started to get on my nerves a little bit, his books are just an advertisement for bro-vet products. I would like to check out The Old Man.  

Movie wise, bullet train was cool. I’m really bad about just watching the same movies over and over. My favorites are skyfall, the gentleman(film), John wick and matrix films. 

Edited by steveo50
8 minutes ago, steveo50 said:

Shogun, The Gentleman(Netflix series, not the movie), Jack Ryan, and Ted Lasso are probably my favorite recent series. I liked the Terminal List but Jack Carr has started to get on my nerves a little bit, his books are just an advertisement for bro-vet products. I would like to check out The Old Man.  

Movie wise, bullet train was cool. I’m really bad about just watching the same movies over and over. My favorites are skyfall, the gentleman(film), John wick and matrix films. 

I've tried the Old Man 2-3 times. I just can't finish it and I'm not sure why. It started off strong and then got boring with the flashbacks.

Shogun on Hulu was amazing.

Jack Ryan was good for a season or two and then it jumped the shark. The last season i didn't like at all. It fell to the same issue as homeland. They killed off the bad guy and needed a new plot when they should have just ended it.

If you like Clancy stuff, be sure to avoid Without Remorse and the upcoming Rainbow Six (Michael Pena as Ding Chavez? Come on). Without Remorse simply takes a dump on the IP in true Hollywood fashion.

Terminal list was tough as well. I wanted to like it more, but I just don't take Pratt seriously as a hardcore operator. It's just the funny man snarling the whole show. I shoot first and don't ask questions later. I'm a loaner Dotty, a rebel.

Bullet train. I thought I would hate this movie. Color me impressed because its great. My son and I have watched it a few times. We like to call idiots a diesel when we see them in public.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Links2k said:

These two franchises plus Braveheart are almost on a loop for me. 

Check out legendary wall art, they have some sweet prints of jw, the matrix, and bravehart. I want to grab a few for my office. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

I've tried the Old Man 2-3 times. I just can't finish it and I'm not sure why. It started off strong and then got boring with the flashbacks.

Shogun on Hulu was amazing.

Jack Ryan was good for a season or two and then it jumped the shark. The last season i didn't like at all. It fell to the same issue as homeland. They killed off the bad guy and needed a new plot when they should have just ended it.

If you like Clancy stuff, be sure to avoid Without Remorse and the upcoming Rainbow Six (Michael Pena as Ding Chavez? Come on). Without Remorse simply takes a dump on the IP in true Hollywood fashion.

Terminal list was tough as well. I wanted to like it more, but I just don't take Pratt seriously as a hardcore operator. It's just the funny man snarling the whole show. I shoot first and don't ask questions later. I'm a loaner Dotty, a rebel.

Bullet train. I thought I would hate this movie. Color me impressed because its great. My son and I have watched it a few times. We like to call idiots a diesel when we see them in public.

Yea Ryan kind of lost me as well, I finished it, but it’s like he just became a badass out of nowhere. Then Pena’s character in last season wasn’t great. 

Same thoughts on Pratt, I will never not see him as Andy from Parks and Rec. 

Edited by steveo50
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, steveo50 said:

Same thoughts on Pratt, I will never not see him as Andy from Parks and Rec. 

That's so ironic, Pratt was uber-famous by the time I knew Parks and Rec existed. So, when I tried to watch the show, I had the opposite reaction.

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is hilarious. Easily as funny as the first one, maybe even more so.

I'm trying to find in my schedule to watch Reagan, but no luck so far. Maybe tomorrow. Looking forward to Speak No Evil, also. James McAvoy can definitely play an unnerving psycho.

Edited by monkeylizard