What is the wierdest thing you have ever shot at?

Guest c.a.s.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Julez
I know, I read that she used the M1A. I'm not gonna ask what that took.

Well, I'm not exactly sure.... but I'm thinking less than two magazines. It was a rather small tree. After that, we decided it would prolly be better to stick to targets. :yuck:

There are dozens of computer shooting videos on youtube. I'm sure there is meaning in that.

A friend of mine used to shoot roaches with an airgun in his Oak Ridge apartment.

Years ago, I bought a copy of Barberella staring that darling of the Vietnam generation Hanoi Jane. I intended to use it for shooting practice but have never gotten around to blasting it. Maybe at the next TGO shoot....

Guest Phantom6

I'm pretty sure that it was about a mid seventies Dodge pick-up. It was moving pretty fast and there was a lot of dust from the road. I just shoot plates now. :D

I bought a copy of Barberella staring that darling

In spite of Hanoi Jane you can't shoot that movie, I have a few fond memories of taking and old high school sweetheart to the Ferguson Drive In :popcorn:to see it, well it was playing but I am not sure we saw much of it. :usa: I have been told that it was a aweful movie, but just the same:shrug:...

Guest Phantom6
nate.... "umGOWA!":D

and Phantom, shooting the license plate is the same as shooting the truck!!

PAPER plates. I just shoot paper plates now unless some ne'er-do-well or miscreant type should threaten me with imminent serious bodily harm or death and cause me to be in fear for my life.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snakeater

tannerite!!!! or if you don't have any, use black powder at about 50 yrds and shoot tracers at it until it ignites. Also balloons filled with oxy/acetylene, don't put to much in them (dang).....we place them out on the range out to 700 and shoot them with rifles. Tons of fun for an afternoon.

Guest ETS_Inc

Hmmmm......let's see.......

I've shot melons, apples, pumpkins, posters of small kittens, computers, TV's, an old sofa bed, old cars, an M113 Armored Personnel Carrier (with an AT4), old tanks (with 105mm HE and other assorted artillery rounds), tannerite (that's a story best told when there are no ladies or children around), and many other sundry targets of opportunity. But, the most exciting targethad to be one which jcoyle6 was a witness to.

We had been out at Owl Hollow Gun Club, shooting. Well, I had to leave, and go to another friend's house, which meant going down a road with which I was unfamiliar. I was going a little too fast and missed a turn, going into the ditch. I called Justin (jcoyle6) and he came to see if he could help. I then called the guy whose house I was headed to, in order to get him to bring his truck and pull me out of the ditch. While he was en route, I figured I'd better free my car from the old barbed-wire fence in which it was entangled. (Before anyone has a fit, the fence was broken intermittently, was in obvious disrepair, and was not used to restrain any livestock or other items, it was a leftover of a bygone era.)

Well, I remembered that the Kel-Tec PLR-16 in the trunk was wearing a YHM Phantom flashhider, which has cut-outs on the end, which I had been told were designed for the express purpose of cutting wire. So, I decided to test that theory. I loaded the gun, placed the flashhider against a strand of wire, and fired. Viola! The wire was cut. I went around the car, cutting the several strands which kept my car captive. Then we began the wait for Darryl to arrive.

While we were waiting, Justin has the clarity to mention that we should check to ensure there is nothing under the car which might damage the underside when we pull it out. So, I look underneath, and, sure enough, the fence post (think picket) had been pushed down, but had popped back up behind the rear axle. Had we pulled the car straight back, we would have ripped the picket into the underside of my car. What are we to do, in the middle of nowhere, to free my car? That's when I remembered another tool in the trunk.

I had one of the Remington 870 AOW's I build, which were originally designed and intended to be sold to law enforcement agencies as breaching guns. As such, I had 20 rounds of breaching ammo in with the gun. Hmmm, they'll blow a door off its hinges, and pop a lock, will they cut fence pickets? Only one way to find out, right?

Justin placed a huge rock between the spot I was going to shoot and the car, then I made him step back 20-30 feet. If any shrapnel came back, I didn't want to hurt anyone else. So, I rack a round into the gun, place the muzzle against the picket, and get as much of my body as possible behind the car, before pulling the trigger. Boom! There's a nice little hole in the picket, but it's not cut in half. Three more rounds, and the picket was cut, and we were free to pull my car from the ditch.

• Administrator

Fun / weird things I've shot before...

• Old Crown Vic police car sourced from a junk yard
  • Old Ford LTD sourced from a junk yard
  • Computer monitors
  • Computer hard drives
  • Computer cases
  • Billiard balls
  • Cans of soda
  • Mason jars of gasoline (with .30-06 tracer rounds!)
  • Coyotes
  • Groundhogs

Interesting things I learned along the way...

An old Seagate RLL or MFM 30MB hard drive will stop a 9mm bullet

Billiard balls make spectacular explosions when hit by a .357 magnum

Hiding behind a car door in a firefight isn't good protection

Hiding behind a car, period, when being shot at by a 50BMG isn't good protection either.
:)

Coyotes do dumb things like run headfirst into .30-06 rounds

Groundhogs pop like water balloons when hit by a .223

Everyone should shoot tracer rounds at least once in their life

Everyone should shoot tracer rounds at least once in their life

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. :(

I thought tracer rounds were not legal for civilians? This leads to the next logical question. If they are legal, where can I get my hands on some?

Guest c.a.s.
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. :(

I thought tracer rounds were not legal for civilians? This leads to the next logical question. If they are legal, where can I get my hands on some?

I thought they were only illegal in California. You can buy a few different kinds at sportsmansguide.com .

Guest ETS_Inc

You can not legally purchase U.S. milsurp tracers. However, there is an easy loophole around that issue. Reloading companies buy the tracer-tipped bullets, and reload them into military brass. You end up with the same components, they've just had a couple of steps to go through before they got to you (disassembly into their separate components and then reassembly).