Tennessee Tax Day Tea Party

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU
A lot of really big things start small, like, let's dress up like Indians and throw their tea in the ocean. There is a lot of simmering discontent.

Glenn

The guys who dressed up like Indians and threw tea in the ocean would today be branded as militia type redneck domestic terrorists. Whenever you hear people talk of American arrogance, in my mind, this is where it comes from, not because of technical superiority today. Americans were rough around the edges, big as life, rowdy as hell. If these guys who threw tea in the ocean lived next door to you today, you'd probably be telling them to turn off the damn radio. I hope tomorrow's tea party has more people like that, than people milling around aimlessly talking about the Orange and White game this weekend. It is a GREAT thing that people actually organized something, though.

Wow I suck at protesting. had everything planned out to be downtown by 1030 this morning...except I forgot to tell my clients. Spent the morning delivering/picking up PCs from people. Had to trun some fradulent money orders into USPS, get some gas and some lunch, pickup some supplies for another job this week and then I'm downtown bound. Thought I had PLENTY of time...until it was noon and I was still in the Donelson/Hermitage area.

Made the run downtown and it was PACKED. It took 20 minutes to get to the plaza on Charlotte from the interstate. Forget parking anywhere in the same ZIP code as the plaza. I drove around wearing out my horn, waving and shooting a tiny bit of video which I'm uploading to YouTube right now. Not too much to see on mine, just the crowd on street side.

It looked like a very good turnout. From the courthouse side of Charlotte you could see up to the plaza and it was PACKED with people hooping and hollering.

Guest crystalm

Made the run downtown and it was PACKED. It took 20 minutes to get to the plaza on Charlotte from the interstate. Forget parking anywhere in the same ZIP code as the plaza. I drove around wearing out my horn, waving and shooting a tiny bit of video which I'm uploading to YouTube right now. Not too much to see on mine, just the crowd on street side.

It looked like a very good turnout. From the courthouse side of Charlotte you could see up to the plaza and it was PACKED with people hooping and hollering.

I made it there about 20 after, parked at the library and pushed my way to the thick of it all just before Marsha Blackburn :up: spoke.

There was a GREAT turnout. I was really suprised. Took lots of photos :up:

I got there about 11:20 and could not get close enough to hear or see. There should have been speakers lining the plaza so that more could hear. If you were behind the stage you couldn't hear because of the cars blowing their horns. I saw all four local TV station news crews there. I guess we'll see how they spin their coverage tonight.

it was still worth it to do my part to support the cause with my attendance.

I made it there about 20 after, parked at the library and pushed my way to the thick of it all just before Marsha Blackburn :cry: spoke.

What's the problem with Blackburn? I think she does a great job representing us.

Guest crystalm
What's the problem with Blackburn? I think she does a great job representing us.

Voted against:

*forcing employers to prove differences in pay is due only to job preformance, repeatedly

*coporate accountability and executive over-compensation

*auto industry resturcturing act - which I am sure isn't popular in TN anyhow, but does affect me and my family in a huge way.

*credit card holder bill of rights

*minimizing college tuition and cost increases

*additional taxes on executive bonuses from companies under the TARP program.

She doesn't seem very middle class friendly to me...

Guest dkirby

img016.jpg

One of my favorite signs. Great turnout, just wish the speakers were bit louder. I heard the last two speakers, once I worked my way over to the magnolia trees to the right of the stage.

Just got back from the Tax Day Tea Party here in Memphis - the turn out was better than I expected. It was nice to see so many folks gathered to voice their disgust and it was NOT about party affiliation.

Approaching, you can see the news coverage was there:

TDTP1.JPG

TDTP2.JPG

The outskirts of the crowd (yellow registration tent on left):

TDTP3.JPG

The crowd around the registration tent (most were off to the side at the stage):

TDTP4.JPG

And a few crowd shots from where we stood, just off stage right:

TDTP5.JPG

TDTP6.JPG

TDTP7.JPG

I was really proud so many folks showed up to show the folks we elected that we find their spending immoral. Hopefully, this is just the beginning of we, the people, taking back our country.

Voted against:

*forcing employers to prove differences in pay is due only to job preformance, repeatedly Maybe the government should step in, but IDK

*coporate accountability and executive over-compensationYes it sucks that these guys are over payed, but so are pro athletes. And the government has no business here. A bigger government is part of the problem.

*auto industry resturcturing act - which I am sure isn't popular in TN anyhow, but does affect me and my family in a huge way. Again, none of the governments business. If they go bankrupt, oh well. If new cars cost to much buy used, they run just as good as a knew one. My truck has 240k miles on it and I wouldn't be afraid to go anywhere in it.

*credit card holder bill of rightsAgain, none of the governments business. Don't like how you are treated. Get out of debt and quit using plastic. Live below your means, not above it.

*minimizing college tuition and cost increases Again, really not any of the governments business, for private schools anyway

*additional taxes on executive bonuses from companies under the TARP program.These companies shouldn't have got this money in the first place. They knew what they were going to do with it, they should have set terms for use before they gave it to them. The government has no right to target individuals with special taxes, but they do it all the time and we let them.

She doesn't seem very middle class friendly to me...