OK, WTH is this bill about?

Guest canynracer

Guest canynracer

Tennessee General Assembly Legislation

*HB 1778 by *Casada ( SB 1992 by *Johnson)

Show Co-Prime Sponsors

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, prohibits confiscations of lawfully possessed firearms and ammunition during periods of martial rule; clarifies firearm and ammunition restriction prohibitions during any state of emergency, major disaster, or natural disaster. - Amends TCA Title 58, Chapter 1, Part 1 and Title 58, Chapter 2, Part 1.

I thought they already had this in place where they cant take guns...im lost

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

whew...

OK

what about this one?

3. HB1225 by *Harwell, *Sontany, *Pruitt, *Gilmore, *Jones S, *Maggart, *Richardson, *Camper. (*SB0314 by *Black.)

Domestic Violence - As introduced, requires person subject to order of protection to surrender all firearms the person owns or possesses to the sheriff of county of residence and creates Class A misdemeanor of person subject to an order of protection possessing a firearm. - Amends TCA Title 36, Chapter 3, Part 6; Title 39, Chapter 13, Part 1 and Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB1225

Looks like it takes it a step further by actually applying it to 'martial law' not just states of emergency.

I believe that is right. Current law "state of emergency" bill would also include times of "martial law"

whew...

OK

what about this one?

3. HB1225 by *Harwell, *Sontany, *Pruitt, *Gilmore, *Jones S, *Maggart, *Richardson, *Camper. (*SB0314 by *Black.)

Domestic Violence - As introduced, requires person subject to order of protection to surrender all firearms the person owns or possesses to the sheriff of county of residence and creates Class A misdemeanor of person subject to an order of protection possessing a firearm. - Amends TCA Title 36, Chapter 3, Part 6; Title 39, Chapter 13, Part 1 and Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB1225

Pretty much what it says...if you are the subject of an order of protection, you must turn over any all firearms you have to LE within 24 hours. Even on ex parte order. If you don't, it would be a crime.

If ex parte orders weren't so easy to get, it wouldn't be as big a problem. But the bill also says the LE agency can charge you a reasonable fee for storage of the firearms. Considering a hearing on ex parte order can take up to 10 days....who knows what that could add up to.

Also it seems some standard advice from some divorce lawyers is for a party to seek an order of protection, even if it is not really warranted. But that wouldn't matter.

When the Order of Protection expires...you don't just get your guns back either...you have to file for another hearing.

whew...

OK

what about this one?

Summary for HB1225

Yowch - that one seems to say that if you get an order of protection taken out against you, you must surrender all your firearms to the sheriff.

Not a fan of that one at all.

Guest db99wj
Yowch - that one seems to say that if you get an order of protection taken out against you, you must surrender all your firearms to the sheriff.

Not a fan of that one at all.

That one is tough. The argument will be about a couple, the wife/gf gets beat up by the husband/bf and she is in fear of her life, do you want him to continue to have in his possession a firearm, then a statistic of domestic violence cases where a firearm is used.... I can see that as being a good thing.

However, what about the case of the same couple, husband/bf cheats, or leaves the wife/gf, wife/gf is pissed and says I will show him and puts out a restraining order against him. They take his guns and she is the pshyco. That would not be a good thing.

Disclaimer: You can interchange the husband/bf/wife/gf and have the same results, in otherwords, the pshyco could be either one.:koolaid:

That one is tough. The argument will be about a couple, the wife/gf gets beat up by the husband/bf and she is in fear of her life, do you want him to continue to have in his possession a firearm, then a statistic of domestic violence cases where a firearm is used.... I can see that as being a good thing.

Agree

However, what about the case of the same couple, husband/bf cheats, or leaves the wife/gf, wife/gf is pissed and says I will show him and puts out a restraining order against him. They take his guns and she is the pshyco. That would not be a good thing.

The bill doesn't apply to Restraining Orders, those and Orders of Protection are two different things. But you sentiment is right in that it could be done vindictively as well.

Guest db99wj
Agree

The bill doesn't apply to Restraining Orders, those and Orders of Protection are two different things. But you sentiment is right in that it could be done vindictively as well.

Shut up. I knew that.;);):drama::P:D:blah:

:koolaid:

:lol:

However, what about the case of the same couple, husband/bf cheats, or leaves the wife/gf, wife/gf is pissed and says I will show him and puts out a restraining order against him. They take his guns and she is the pshyco.

Thats what happened to me last year by my vindictive wife with no fault whatsoever by me, exept it was an Order of protection. It said I couldn't have any weapons at all. I gave them to my dad to hold till it got dismissed. BTW, the divorce may finally be finalized this month.

Guest crotalus01

Wonder how that law would work with Title 2 weapons?? My understanding is it would be illegal for the Sheriff to take possession of a Title 2 weapon that was not transfered to him. Or am I missing something?