BATF up to their old tricks!

I am not sure what you are saying. I have not suggested that you give up any rights. I am stating as a fact that you do not have an individual right to bear arms that comes from the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> amendment.

Ok, so what good is the 2a of the constitution? Was this only in Illinois?

<O:p</O:p

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so what good is the 2a of the constitution?

It prevents what happened in England. It prevents the federal government from disarming the Tennessee National Guard, THP, or Metro. I am not saying that is all it was meant to do; I am saying that is what it clearly does with no argument from anyone (that I know of…. Yet). Almost all Federal districts have ruled it is a protection for the state; not an individual right. The SCOTUS has not ruled specifically ruled on that issue; they have left it up to the Federal Districts.

Please keep in mind here that I am not saying that I believe the 2nd amendment was not intended to protect an individual’s right to bear arms. I am simply saying that I personally have been shown very clearly that I do not have a right to bear arms. There is absolutely no doubt where the 7th Federal District Court (or most others) stand on that.

Was this only in Illinois?

Was what only in Illinois?

Tennessee does not recognize the 2nd as an individual right either. The difference is that you have pro-gun legislators in Tennessee. And they will be very quick to tell your carry permits are a privilege given to you by the state, just like a driver’s license. If you are carrying a firearm in Tennessee it is the discretion of the Police Officer of whether or not you are cuffed up and hauled off to jail.

But it doesn’t matter. If one state (and we have many) does not recognize it; it is not a right.

Now we can all mad about that, threaten to call our Senators, Congressmen, Attorneys, or our Mom. We can yell at the top of our lungs that we support the 2nd amendment and even have it on cool shirts and bumper stickers; but it will not change the facts or the laws.

Fight the 2nd amendment fight! But please quit slowing down legislation that could allow us the ability to kill thugs that threaten us on the streets by making it a 2nd amendment issue. (That isn’t directed at you personally)

<O:p</O:p

Fight the 2nd amendment fight! But please quit slowing down legislation that could allow us the ability to kill thugs that threaten us on the streets by making it a 2nd amendment issue. (That isn’t directed at you personally)

which particular legislation is that?

Eventually, that ruling will have to be challenged...and when it does there's going to be LOTS of folks that don't like the outcome.

DaveTN, I agree with you, I think. The second recognizes a pre-existing right, it does not grant it.

I think of it as a tripwire.

Agreed, the first two amendments to the constitution were there to state rights that were not from government but were to be protected from government.