P89 New ruger owner

Guest Moss88hunter

Guest Moss88hunter

About a month ago my cousin passed away and this was one of the guns he left behind. I bought it from his sister for $300. He bought it about five years ago and paid $359 plus tax. He had a box of ammo for it and it had 95 rounds left in it. I am sure that he bought it for self defense took it home fired five shots to make sure it worked and put it into the safe. It is the two toned limited edition and came with a ten and a fifteen round magazine. I have put probably 250 rounds through it and has had zero problems. It is a very well built firearm. I have bought hogue grips for it and a galco holster that fits like a glove. What do the rest of you think of p89s?

Evan

modify_inline.gif

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never had a P89 but I do have a P345. I believe Ruger makes a fine pistol. I have never had any trouble with mine. Keep it clean and well lubed and it should last a long time.

The P89 is an excellent pistol, but they are kind of klunky. They are however very dependable. I have a friend of mine that has had a Sig 9mm for 20 years and swears that the old Ruger P89 he keeps under the seat in his truck will out shoot the Sig. He has also never had it fail to fire no matter where the 9mm ammo came from. He can't say the same for the Sig.

Built like a tank--weight and all. That's a gun that will last forever.

Generally much heavier than most would like for a carry weapon, but not impossible.

I used my P-Series for the HCP class. It's always functioned perfectly.

Plus, $300 is a pretty good deal on one of the condition you described.

Guest Bluemax

Ruger doesn't make a bad gun as far as I know but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It sounds like you got a good deal as long as you are happy with it

Guest Moss88hunter

I am very happy with it and it is built like a tank. I have just shot target loads out of it so far but what are some self defense rounds that have worked well with your p89's? Thanks for the help!

Evan

I bought one brand new in 2005. I have shot thousands of 9mm through it. It is a GREAT pistol! I have a blued one with the Houge finger grips I put on. I also have a Ruger P90TH. It to is a GREAT pistol. I bought it new in 2001. Now I need to buy a Ruger P94. It is a .40 S&W caliber. gearyr

I've got the P94 in a 9mm. I pulled it out the other day at the range. I forgot how well it shoots. The great thing about a Ruger is you can shoot any type of ammo out of it. Look for some +P or +P+ ammo for self defense. Golden Sabers are really nice.

Guest Traumaslave

My Dad bought my brother and I P89s just prior to the ban because he thought that would be the end of the high caps. I too have far too many rounds to count and never a problem. In fact, I just used it today in a 3 gun match. I used to carry it as my CCW, until I got my HK. I kept Hydrashocks in it.

Guest Tn.Mitch
About a month ago my cousin passed away and this was one of the guns he left behind. I bought it from his sister for $300. He bought it about five years ago and paid $359 plus tax. He had a box of ammo for it and it had 95 rounds left in it. I am sure that he bought it for self defense took it home fired five shots to make sure it worked and put it into the safe. It is the two toned limited edition and came with a ten and a fifteen round magazine. I have put probably 250 rounds through it and has had zero problems. It is a very well built firearm. I have bought hogue grips for it and a galco holster that fits like a glove. What do the rest of you think of p89s?

Evan

modify_inline.gif

Ermey-1.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Moss88hunter

I finally got around to signing up on photobucket and learning how to post pics, so here are the pics that I promised...

0214092006.jpg

After I did some shopping and bought the Hogue grips and a 35 round magazine. Don't have any need for the magazine to be that big, but it was the same price as the 15 rounders so I figured why not get it while I still can.

0318092101.jpg

Evan