Restaurant Carry HB0962 To Be Voted On Today 04/06/09

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TEBISH
Didn't realize how much time I was committing myself to when I started watching...lol

No doubt - I was amazed at the BS talking they went thru while watching HB0962. That was my first time watching them and I think my jaw was on the ground the entire time.

It goes back to the House.

There only question is whether to accept the changes made by the Senate or not.

If they accept the changes, it goes to the Governor.

If they do not accept the changes it goes back to the Senate and the Senate has a choice to remove their changes or keep them.

If the Senate removes it changes the House version goes to the Governor.

If the Senate does not remove it's changes, it will go to conference committee made up of members of both chambers to try and work out the differences.

My hope is that even though they didn't want to remove the restrictions in the House themselves....that there is enough of a majority in the House to accept the Senate version.

Guest JavaGuy

Since the bill passed in both chambers, but in different form, it will return to the House. If the House accepts the Senate changes, the next step will be to send it to the Governor. If the House doesn't accept the Senate changes, it will be sent back to the Senate (offering the Senate the opportunity to remove their changes).

If both chambers prefer their own version of the bill and won't change, then the bill will go to a conference committee made up of members from the two chambers.

If a conference committee works out a compromise, then both chambers are given the report and will vote on the compromise solution. If that passes in both chambers, it becomes the version that will go to the governor.

The possibility does exist that the compromise worked out by the conference committee wouldn't be accepted by one or both chambers. In that case, the bill dies.

And that, fellows, is the current parliamentary situation.

Guest JavaGuy

Fallguy, looks like we were both punching out our summary of the situation at the same time and you're a little quicker on the trigger. Grin..

LOL...yeah, I need to get a life. :x:

Just glad we both said the same thing....and you did go on further to say there is a chance the bill could die if the difference aren't worked out...I just didn't want to think about that....

Since the bill passed in both chambers, but in different form, it will return to the House. If the House accepts the Senate changes, the next step will be to send it to the Governor. If the House doesn't accept the Senate changes, it will be sent back to the Senate (offering the Senate the opportunity to remove their changes).

If both chambers prefer their own version of the bill and won't change, then the bill will go to a conference committee made up of members from the two chambers.

If a conference committee works out a compromise, then both chambers are given the report and will vote on the compromise solution. If that passes in both chambers, it becomes the version that will go to the governor.

The possibility does exist that the compromise worked out by the conference committee wouldn't be accepted by one or both chambers. In that case, the bill dies.

And that, fellows, is the current parliamentary situation.

Um....wow....no wonder nothing ever gets done and folks get frustrated with the processes...let me know when its all over!

Guest HexHead

Maybe they'll work out a compromise like leave in the age restriction and take out the curfew? Give both sides something they want and get it done quick.

Guest Seminole

The thing to do right now is to contact your Rep. and urge him or her to vote to adopt the Senate version as it stands. That would have the effect of sending the bill to the Governor immediately, without the age or time restrictions.

Guest JavaGuy
The thing to do right now is to contact your Rep. and urge him or her to vote to adopt the Senate version as it stands. That would have the effect of sending the bill to the Governor immediately, without the age or time restrictions.

Nice point.. As a general rule, when the modified bill is brought back up by the sponsor, he/she will state that it was passed by the other chamber in a different form. The sponsor will tell the body what the differences are and will then recommend a course of action.

If the sponsor likes the change, he/she will recommend that they accept the changes. If the sponsor does not like the change, the recommendation will be that they don't accept the changes. Many times, the body will follow the recommendations of the sponsor of the bill.

So to modify your proposal, contact your representative and urge him/her to ask the sponsor to accept the changes.