Restaurant Carry HB0962 To Be Voted On Today 04/06/09

Guest Seminole
Why in the world is Todd so against a clean bill?!?
Given the overall support for the legislation, I can only come up with two options at this point: 1) He really believe that the time limits will make a difference 2) He believes that it won't get past Gov B without the limit I don't know what it takes to make this a law if it's vetoed though.

There is a third option, and it is to take Rep. Todd at his word. As I posted on another thread, he has actually stated why he is against a clean bill. He really and actually wants the restrictions. He doesn't believe that you or I are responsible enough to carry a weapon without his restrictions. If you doubt this, take a look at what he said in the Chattanooga Times:

You can’t leave it wide open out there in my opinion and be responsible, to let them just carry it anywhere they want to carry it,†Rep. Todd, a former policeman, said. “I can’t let them carry it into a bar. And I know what a bar is.
It's not often that a politician tells us honestly what he thinks of us. To give Todd credit, he was honest. He believes that he, being better than us, should be able to tell us where we can and can't carry our weapons. He is insisting on the restrictions because they delineate where he doesn't want us to carry.

Take the guy at his word--there is no political purpose here; it's not that he believes the restrictions will win any votes from Reps who would otherwise vote against the bill. He himself doesn't think we should carry after 11:00 in places that serve alcohol. He himself doesn't think we ought to be able to carry in places that have age requirements.

I believe Rep. Todd is an anti-lite. To put it another way, he believes in only a little bit of freedom. Sure, it's a little more than we have now, but it is still to be limited by what he, as an enlightened one, thinks is best.

Just as there are some Democrats who honestly believe in our Second Ammendment rights, there are some Republicans who honestly believe they are our betters and we ought to shut up and be grateful for the little scraps of liberty they throw our way. Not me. I refuse to acknowledge that he has the right to dole out only as much freedom as he thinks is good for me. I will not curry favor with him like a dog does to the owner that abuses him. I will not reflexively believe that he is acting in my best interest. In short, I believe him when he says that he thinks he knows better than me and I will do what I can to see that he is replaced by someone who has proper respect for the citizens of this state.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seminole you're probably right.

I just hope Mike Bell is right as well in that there are enough votes to support the Senate version even over the objection of the sponor of the bill, Rep Todd

Edited by Fallguy
Guest SomeGuy

Fallguy,

Seminole IS right. We have an update over at the TFA forums, Todd is opposed to the new Senate version. He genuinely thinks we should only have so much freedom, this is why I am always wary of former cops elected to office.

I read this thread though, for those of you who would accept a flawed bill, why? We CAN get a clean one through. Accepting less is pointless. Write, call, contact your legislators and ask for a clean bill. Make your position clear, no additional amendments.

And two last things. Fallguy, Mike is a great Rep, you are lucky to have him. I met him before he was elected, and have sat in his Nashville office, Mike is a friend of ours.

To override a veto, we need a simple majority. Yes, it is that simple.

Guest bkelm18

I read this thread though, for those of you who would accept a flawed bill, why? We CAN get a clean one through. Accepting less is pointless.

You THINK we can get one through. Its far from a certainty. While it is currently looking good, our luck can change rather quickly. So I join the group that says to hurry up and get this thing through before it enjoys a slow agonizing demise. You know as well as I do the anti's are going to do everything they can to keep this off the Governor's desk and tying it up in committees and deliberations is how they will do it.

Guest SomeGuy

Well aware of that elm. Which is why we must all write our legislators (and maybe other ones, apply pressure!). We can do this, but only if we stand and push together.

This is an old artical I found while searching age restrictions in bars in Tennessee. I like what my state rep had to say, Phillip Johnson. I have written him before and recieved a personal, not generic response. I'll have to write him again and thank him. I also like some of the readers comments at the bottom.

Tennessee House passes bill to allow guns where alcohol is served - Kingsport Times-News Online

But Rep. Phillip Johnson, R-Pegram, said critics of the bill were losing sight of the possibility that criminals could already be carrying their weapons in bars and restaurants regardless of current laws.

“The folks that are breaking the law are there,” said Johnson. “The only people abiding to the law are the gun carry permit holders.”

Guest Seminole
But Rep. Phillip Johnson, R-Pegram, said critics of the bill were losing sight of the possibility that criminals could already be carrying their weapons in bars and restaurants regardless of current laws.

“The folks that are breaking the law are there,†said Johnson. “The only people abiding to the law are the gun carry permit holders.â€

Yes, that's the irony regarding gun bans of any kind. They only affect the law-abiding--that is, those whose possession of weapons shouldn't be threatening to anyone. Laws don't stop criminals.

Guest Seminole
Todd is opposed to the new Senate version. He genuinely thinks we should only have so much freedom. . . .

Part of what makes this so disgusting is that Rep. Todd has in the past actually been one of the sponsors of clean bills, unfettered by these restrictions. If what he says now is true, he was apparently just playing politics then--trying to gain votes by appearing to support our rights, but knowing all the while that Naifeh would kill the bills so that we wouldn't actually be able to carry in places Todd doesn't think we should.

Blech!

Here is the message I just received from Mike Bell

Todd is going to support the senate bill. We might vote to "concur" with the senate or we might go to a "conference committee". Either way I think we will end up with the senate version.

Mike

:P

You know.....

I guess I hadn't really read the Senate amendment that close before.

For some reason I was thinking that with the age-restriction and curfew parts removed, it would pretty much allow carry ANYWHERE alcohol is served. But it still has "restaurant" in it and the definition of if would still prevent carry in a lot of places like a theater or any place that doesn't serve meals.

But anyway......not really a big problem I guess, just pointing out something I was slow to notice...lol

Guest SomeGuy

Fallguy,

True, it is imperfect, however, unlike age and curfews, the restaurant definition is at least easier to deal with as opposed to suddenly having to leave a restaurant to disarm, or checking for age restricted.

It will also be easier to remove next session I think.

Guest db99wj
You know.....

I guess I hadn't really read the Senate amendment that close before.

For some reason I was thinking that with the age-restriction and curfew parts removed, it would pretty much allow carry ANYWHERE alcohol is served. But it still has "restaurant" in it and the definition of if would still prevent carry in a lot of places like a theater or any place that doesn't serve meals.

But anyway......not really a big problem I guess, just pointing out something I was slow to notice...lol

Theaters serve popcorn and drinks, I will fight to the death on the issue of is popcorn and coke dinner...because in fact, it is!:rolleyes:

Our theater serves hot dogs too. ;)