Restaurant Carry HB0962 To Be Voted On Today 04/06/09

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest crotalus01

Can someone clarify? This is just for "Restaurants", correct? So that means we will still have to disarm at other venues that serve alcohol for on-site consumption regardless of an age restriction? I am thinking bowling alleys, movie theaters, golf course clubhouses etc.

Guest bkelm18
movie theaters serve the sauce? or were you referring to those as age restricted lol

I haven't seen any in TN, but there are theaters that serve food and beer to you at your seat.

Can someone clarify? This is just for "Restaurants", correct? So that means we will still have to disarm at other venues that serve alcohol for on-site consumption regardless of an age restriction? I am thinking bowling alleys, movie theaters, golf course clubhouses etc.

All the bowli9ng alleys and golf clubs I've been to serve food as well as beer. That should make them a restaurant.

No....

It is being called carry in Restaurants mainly so as not to associate it with carry in a night club or bar. Since a night club, bar and the like are defined in T.C.A. that is why there have been restrictions added to the house version restricting carry after 11:00pm and in age restricted venues.

If the Senate version becomes law you could carry anywhere alcohol is served at anytime.

If the House version becomes law you could not carry in places that serve alcohol between 11:00pm - 5:00am but you could carry anywhere that is not age restricted regardless of what type of establishment it is. If it is age restricted you could not carry, regardless of what type of establishment it is.

Guest db99wj
movie theaters serve the sauce? or were you referring to those as age restricted lol

There is a movie theater that serves wine here in Memphis, a little wine bar if you will. I believe that it is a separate entity (separate ownership rents the space), has it's own entrance from the "public area" of the building, kinda like in a mall if you will. I could be wrong, but that is "my understanding":D

Guest bkelm18

I wish we had more of those around here. They were called Cinema Cafes (thats the name of the chain) in VA. I remember getting tanked while watching Pirates of the Caribbean 3 with a group of guys from my ship. Ah memories. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

Guest crotalus01

A few Malco theaters here in Memphis serve wine and beer (Studio on the Square for sure and I think the Paradiso as well).

Anyways, so you guys are saying we will be good to go at bowling alleys etc? It sucks that there will be no carrying in restaurants that allow smoking under the House bill.

Edit to ask exactly what is the definition of age restricted? Some places (thinking the New Daisy on Beale Street, Young Avenue Deli or the Hi Tone) that have concerts have all ages shows, 18 and up shows and 21 and up shows.

I know the House bill is intended to restrict carry in bars and titty clubs, but the wording could potentially be construed in many ways...

Edited by crotalus01
Guest SouthernSaltine

I haven't heard anything yet, Has this been signed off on? Meaning ,signed into law yet? When can I carry and eat my steak at the same time?

I haven't heard anything yet, Has this been signed off on? Meaning ,signed into law yet? When can I carry and eat my steak at the same time?

Can't remember at the moment when it is to be head in the Senate, but right now the bill in the Senate has been changed from the House version. So it if passes like that the difference are going to have to be worked out.

But no matter what happens, the earliest it would go into effect is July 1st.

Can't remember at the moment when it is to be head in the Senate, but right now the bill in the Senate has been changed from the House version. So it if passes like that the difference are going to have to be worked out.

But no matter what happens, the earliest it would go into effect is July 1st.

On the senate version it actually says "effective June 1, 2009 the public welfare requiring it" or something to that effect. I've been trying to find out when it is on the calendar but am having no luck.:hat:

On the senate version it actually says "effective June 1, 2009 the public welfare requiring it" or something to that effect. I've been trying to find out when it is on the calendar but am having no luck.:rolleyes:

So it does. But I'd almost bet dollars to donuts it's a typo. But I won't tell if you don't. :)

According to the info on www.capitol.tn.gov, SB1127 is on the Senate calendar for April 16. They didn't have the detailed agenda for Thursday posted earlier today but the session starts at 9:00am.

Yep...the 16th.

On the senate version it actually says "effective June 1, 2009 the public welfare requiring it" or something to that effect. I've been trying to find out when it is on the calendar but am having no luck.:cry:

It is probably July 1st. All new laws start July 1 or Jan 1 of the following year. So as it stands it would start at the earliest possible date. All bills state, as public welfare requiring it ... or a derivation thereof.

Senate votes today - right? Anybody know what time?

Tennessee General Assembly Legislation

Actions Taken on SB1127Action DatePlaced on Sen. Regular Calendar (1) cal. for 04/16/200904/14/2009

The Schedule page said 9:00pm but I believe it was 9:00am because they are in session now.

Tennessee General Assembly::Streaming Video

There are on item 5 of the calendar and the bill is item 12