Rant with questions for LEO's

Shug

I know most Radar has to be turned on for a moment, but a topnotch detector like mine will go off, even though it's to late.

As far as the dog goes, there is no way in hell he could have smelled anything in or on my vehicle, despite what the handler said.

I dont know, but would guess, that once a K-9 unit is called, the ratio of a search would be 95% or more, even if illegal!

I did find out later, there was a bolo for a car, similar to mine, being sought

due to being seen at a murder scene!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long story short, last yr. i was stopped for speeding doing 69 in a 50.

2 min. after i stopped there were 2 more plain cars boxing me in on all sides.

which took about 2 hrs,

This whole thing with the illegal search, did and still has me pissed,

i would have taken a Lawyer and paid his $2000. + fee to fight the ticket in court, but didnt have the time.

Had no problem with getting a ticket besides the SOB lying about a non-detectable Radar, and the illegal search!

Highly pissed!:shrug:

You probably would have spent $2K and still been convicted of speeding. The traffic ticket had nothing to do with the search.

If I tied up at least 4 Officers and a dog for two hours on a speeding ticket I would have been explaining to a Command Officer why.

Did you make a complaint? No, you said you didn’t have the time. So quite frankly it’s not important to you; it’s not important to anyone else. The Command Officers can’t fix what they don’t know about.

Both of these cases is some "want to be" officer looking for a score. ASS CLOWNS like this is what give good police officers a bad name....

No, stories like this are why you are pizzed off. You have one side of the story. If you want the other side of the story, go to the PD (don’t call) and ask to speak to the Officer that stopped your son. If you don’t know his name, tell them the date, time and location where he was stopped and they will know who stopped him. Then you can hear his side of what happened and possibly see the video. I’ve seen some parents pretty embarrassed when they came in to make complaints.

Maybe for you venting by calling cops names on an internet forum makes you feel better. But I would want to hear the other side before I was made to look like a fool. And I certainly mean no disrespect to you, that is just from someone that has seen this happen many times. You don’t have to be making a citizens complaint to talk to the Officer and see what happened; I was always happy to talk to concerned parents.

Guest Matchguy

Yes, and this is one time in a parent's life when it is decidedly in his favor to be an impartial judge before acting on his child's complaint.....In 21 years as a Sergeant charged with investigating this sort of thing, I never once saw a case where the child didn't go home and misrepresent events in his favor to save his butt. Invariably, rather than focus on why he was doing 70 in a 35, obviously because Dad will have his tail for it, he will tell Dad that he got stopped by an overbearing cop who hardnosed him, and Dad will go down to the station and mortally embarrass himself. So Mr. Shug, before you go complain about the cop, take your kid somewhere private, get your pointing finger going about an inch off the end of his nose, and tell him if he hasn't told you the absolute truth you will make him wish a mountain had fallen on him. Only if his story holds at this time should you file a complaint.

It would be in your very best interests to ask the officer's supervisor what happened and listen to the officer's side before going off on him......that way, when you find out the boy had four sixteen year old kids in the car with him drinking that he accidentally forgot to tell you about, you won't be so embarrassed.

DaveTN has given excellent advice here.

MG

Guest JLowe
I know most Radar has to be turned on for a moment, but a topnotch detector like mine will go off, even though it's to late.

But of course, but probably not. I stop people all the time who wonder why their detector did not warn them. Also, was the officer stationary or moving, because there is a thing called pacing. Oh yeah, the Lidar is a focused beam that can be pointed at any part of the car, not the windshield (where you detector is located) and get a accurate speed reading.

As far as the dog goes, there is no way in hell he could have smelled anything in or on my vehicle, despite what the handler said.

You don't know who may have touched your car with "narcotics odor" on their hands. It can come from a number of places like money for example. It only takes one millionth of a micro gram for a dog to detect an odor.

I dont know, but would guess, that once a K-9 unit is called, the ratio of a search would be 95% or more, even if illegal!

Not true.

I did find out later, there was a bolo for a car, similar to mine, being sought

due to being seen at a murder scene!

Oh, so there might have been a reason for them to get a few other cars there? You could have included that in the original story instead of try to get a negative response towards LE with your partial story. Thats seems to be a big problem on the internet, people only want to tell their negative points of view about LEOs and never the entire truth of the whole story.

Guest Matchguy
........You could have included that in the original story instead of try to get a negative response towards LE with your partial story. Thats seems to be a big problem on the internet, people only want to tell their negative points of view about LEOs and never the entire truth of the whole story.

It's called cop bashing, which is a staple for most internet gun forums. Guys will rant forever about the one-sided, liberal, unfair, biased media, but when the media prints something bad about a cop, then these same guys elevate the media to the status of the holy grail. And they adopt the same distorted standard to their own reporting about their experiences with cops. I have permanently departed from several sites over it.

MG

Guest Old goat

You know, I must be one lucky sumbeach. In 50 years I have never been treated anything but respectfully by any LEO, especially if I was in the wrong. Go figure,guess its my bad attitude coming out.

Guest m&pc9
You know, I must be one lucky sumbeach. In 50 years I have never been treated anything but respectfully by any LEO, especially if I was in the wrong. Go figure,guess its my bad attitude coming out.

+ 1 here but Im only 40.:lol:

Guest JLowe
It's called cop bashing, which is a staple for most internet gun forums. Guys will rant forever about the one-sided, liberal, unfair, biased media, but when the media prints something bad about a cop, then these same guys elevate the media to the status of the holy grail. And they adopt the same distorted standard to their own reporting about their experiences with cops. I have permanently departed from several sites over it.

MG

I know and completely agree with you. I just like to point it out to people.

Yeah, me too. I've been driving 54 years and have had a LEO at my car window one time only. About the time he had started to give me a faulty equipment ticket for having a headlight out it started pouring rain. He said ":censored: unlock your passenger side door" and he came around the car and sat inside writing me a faulty equipment ticket. The rain lasted past the time required to write the ticket but we had a friendly conversation for probably 15-20 minutes. Of course I was not carrying at the time but the question never surfaced. Guess I did not appear as a threat to him as I was clean cut, dressed in shirt and tie and had a late model well kept automobile. And this was quite a few years ago, different times.

oldogy

Guest Matchguy

Yep, different times and different people. I've paid for quite a bit of gas for destitute people stranded out on the road, bought some food as well, as has just about any highway patrolman of my generation. You just can't leave little kids hungry or stranded in the middle of nowhere, so you do the only thing a decent man can do and help them out.

But there was payback. On at least three Christmas's I had dinner in the only restaurant in the county that was open and when I got to the cash register I was told that my dinner had been paid for by an unidentified family who had left a half hour earlier.

Once I got into a really great conversation with a trucker in a little cafe after giving him driving times to his destination. By the time I knew he had bought my dinner he was half way to Los Angeles. Truckers and highway cops ain't spozedta get along, they say. So yes, different times and different people. I miss them.

MG

Edited by Matchguy
Guest mustangdave

My interaction with LEO has been spotty...I did some "time" TAD to Base Security a number of times in the Navy...so we did a lot of interaction work wise...had an incident a number of years back....had just been discharged had all my earthly possessions in a sea bag and duffle bags, my mt.bike strapped to a roof rack on the car...blazing down SR58 in Virginia headed for Tennessee. I'm doing 70+ in a 55...crest the hill and the LEO had me dead to rights...I just pulled over...trooper comes to my window...asked for the usual stuff...asked me why I was in such a "hurry"...I told the guy...I just got discharged from the Navy and I'm in a hurry to leave the state and get home. He asked for my Mil ID...I gave it to him...he asked you're RETIRED?...I responded 20 years. He told me get outa here..and drive SAFE. I said thank you officer...have a GREAT day.

Guest gunslinger707

Afew year's ago my youngest son got a ticket officer wrote him up for doing 60 on an off ramp.Son came home said i met your friend Mr.****** he gave me a speeding i asked were you ? He said yep I said good go pay your ticket! A few month's later i met my friend at a Lic.check and thanked him.I mentioned the Loc.and he remembered the ticket.He told me he had to write the boy up said he had clocked him at 90 on the off ramp!I said i'm not complaining you did me a favor you MIGHT have saved his LIFE! Clocked him at 90 wrote him for 60 to avoid reckless driving !

Guest Matchguy

I once had the mother of a teen aged boy come up to me in church giving me blazes because one of my guys had written her infallible son a ticket for 75 in a 35 and she had to go with him to see the Juvie Judge. She ranted for a long time and when she finally quit and walked away, her husband mosied over to me and whispered: "Best thing that ever happened to him. He's gonna kill somebody if he doesn't slow down," then winked and left. Sometimes we get one right. :D

MG