Prof. carry bill killed.

The bill that would have allowed college teachers to carry didn't even make it to past sub-committee.

http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=10112490

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A House subcommittee has killed a proposal to allow faculty and staff at public Tennessee colleges to carry handguns on campus.

The proposal sponsored by Rep. Stacey Campfield, a Knoxville Republican, died for lack of a second to a motion to consider the bill in the House Criminal Practice Subcommittee on Wednesday.

Campfield said his proposal would have allowed colleges to opt out if they publicly guaranteed students' safety.

College campuses are currently covered under a general ban on guns on school grounds. Only law enforcement officers or members of the military can come onto a campus armed.

The panel also rejected another Campfield proposal to allow retired members of military and ROTC cadets to carry handguns on campus.

Read HB0798 and HB0823 at: http://www.capitol.tn.gov

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guitarsnguns

Same old same old... Our leaders don't want us to be able to take care of ourselves...What the heck would we need them for if that happened?:clap:

What gets me is it dying for lack of second. This happened to another bill I was interested in, but since it is not firearms related I won't bring it up.

But my point is....are these people so afraid of a topic they can't even make a second for it to be heard? If everyone is that against it...what is the harm in it at least being debated. Then if the members truly feel they are against it (whether I agree or not) they can vote it down. I can tolerate someone voting their conviction....but to not even be willing to discuss it?.....well..anyway...

Guest EasilyObsessed

So much for being able to carry on the 1/4mi walk from the parking garage to the hospital every morning and afternoon...

What gets me is it dying for lack of second. This happened to another bill I was interested in, but since it is not firearms related I won't bring it up.

But my point is....are these people so afraid of a topic they can't even make a second for it to be heard? If everyone is that against it...what is the harm in it at least being debated. Then if the members truly feel they are against it (whether I agree or not) they can vote it down. I can tolerate someone voting their conviction....but to not even be willing to discuss it?.....well..anyway...

*pats your back* I know buddy. I hear ya. :clap:

I assume that Mr. Campfield is a pro 2nd Amendment guy and that he has a good record for standing up for our rights. However, in watching this proceeding today I was less than impressed with Mr. Campfields presentation of his bills. He hadn't provided the members of the panel with copies of some of the legislation he was proposing, he had trouble answering some of the questions by pro gun reps on the panel, and I thought he just made a bad impression for the cause he was trying to defend.

Maybe I am being too critical, but for heaven's sake, when its your turn to stand before the committee that is going to pass judgement on your bill, BE PREPARED!