Newbie - Carry in Office

Guest Frazsteve

Guest Frazsteve

I am waiting for my permit to come back, sent everything in the first week in March. While I and waiting, I am starting to think though all the day to day situations so that I can decide on holster and when and how to carry.

I have a Glock 19 and a Kel Tek P11. I plan to start with the P11 as my carry and think a pocket holster will be better than tuckable IWB. My daily dress code is business casual and with warm weather coming up, there won't be much cover. I have looked through our employee manual, and of course did not see any rule that would prohibit carry and know for a fact 2 or 3 in the office have permit, but I don't think they carry. Just kinda afraid that if I ask, that will make them aware and draw attention to the fact I may be carrying. Anyone else have experience or advice for carrying in an office envirorment.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tiny G

I would say that if there is no office policy about it don't be the one that makes them institute one. Find a conceal carry method that works well, get comfortable with it and then don't tell anyone.;)

Guest JHatmaker

You're quite fortunate, as the majority of companies have strict policies against handguns in their parking lots, let along the building.

As long as you're sure there's no policy regarding carrying a firearm, I'd say all is clear. Just don't go announcing it, even to the guys you know have permits. All it takes is one person to say something, and next thing you know, a new rule is added to the policy....

Guest pws_smokeyjones

it 100% depends on your workplace environment. Your office might not have a policy about it, but if a anti-gun coworker found out you were carrying they could pitch a fit and cause them to institute one. If you are going to carry to work make darn sure it stays concealed and DO NOT talk about it. I have worked in non gun friendly offices before and I know how people can be. I personally keep my handgun in my backpack by my desk while in the office and openly transfer it to a holster when leaving, but I work in a very gun friendly company so I am one of the lucky few. when I say gun friendly, to give an example - myself and two coworkers built our AR's in the break room and we do not work at a gun store.

Guest TackleberryTom

One of my previous jobs entailed working in a very gun friendly enviroment. We had a company outing to take the HCP course, paid for by the company. Owner often OC'd and others were allowed to as well.

if no policy is in writing, don't ask don't tell. if you can't comfortably conceal, keep it in a computer case or possibly an ankle holster. both my boss's know i keep two with me at all times. friends don't let friends walk around unarmed....

Guest Bluemax

The first thing I would do is look at my companies employee hand book if available. In my particular situation, no mention is made of firearms in the workplace but as I am in outside sales, often call on customers who do not allow firearms on their property. I do my best to respect their rules by leaving my handgun locked in the glovebox while on their property and ABSOLUTELY do not mention it to anyone who works there

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Frazsteve

Here are a couple of additional thoughts. You should have a couple of backup plans for places to keep your firearm while at the office. These would be used in the event that something happens and it is impractical, uncomfortable or otherwise too difficult to keep it on your person. I keep a small luggage lock on my backpack and when we have visitors or unknown persons in the office I lock it. obviously those can be defeated quite easily but it is there merely as a deterrent to keep people from snooping through my stuff if I am away from my desk. A locking desk drawer would serve the same function.

Guest Frazsteve
Frazsteve

Here are a couple of additional thoughts. You should have a couple of backup plans for places to keep your firearm while at the office. These would be used in the event that something happens and it is impractical, uncomfortable or otherwise too difficult to keep it on your person. I keep a small luggage lock on my backpack and when we have visitors or unknown persons in the office I lock it. obviously those can be defeated quite easily but it is there merely as a deterrent to keep people from snooping through my stuff if I am away from my desk. A locking desk drawer would serve the same function.

Thanks for all the replies.

I had over looked the simple idea of pocket carry from car to my office and then just keeping it in desk drawer while at work.

While you never know, where I work now is not as bad as a few years ago when I was a dispatcher for a major trucking company. I was working there after the 1st Gulf War and we were hiring a lot of vets returning from the war because the military was down sizing then. Had some interesting times when drivers got pissed off and reminded me they had just returned from war and I better be careful.