Century Arms AK-47 ?

Rambo

Hi guys,

I wanted to build my own AK47 from a kit. I've been looking around and trying to find a good deal on a kit. It seems when I started looking they were going for $250ish without the receiver. Now it seems they are going for $350+. By the time I buy a good receiver for $100ish that puts me at $450. My time + getting the receiver blue'd = $100 or so (guessing). Plus I would change the wood stock/grips/handle with composite so that would cost a good deal as well.

Anyway, to get to my point. I went to a gun shop today and was looking at a Century Arms AK-47. The price was "decent". Not anywhere near as cheap as I wanted to go, but still nice. So, I decided to come home and do some research. I started looking up this brand, and back 2 years ago, the reviews were horrible. These guns were the "highpoints of ak-47's". They were like $250 then (complete) and the reviews were bad. I haven't been able to find any reviews other than old reviews on them. I don't want to make a mistake, and want to learn about all the different AK's available. I'd still rather build my own, but I'm willing to look into other options. I like the black synthetic look much better than the wood look.

So what's the good/bad/ugly of this brand? Also what do you guys think about a noobie building his own gun? I have good basic hand tools/power tools skills. I do a lot of work with my hands and can get around well.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Todd@CIS

I've seen and heard too many horror stories about Century Arms's AKs to ever consider one.

Occasionally they might get it right, but not often enough.

Edited by Todd@CIS

I own two of them. A converted WASR-10 (started life as a single-stack with 10 round limit to get past import restrictions, converted to take standard AK mags after a rebuild by Century) and a SAR-1 (basically the same rifle, but imported before the restrictions and took standard mags from day 1). I've never had a bit of trouble out of either of them. I make no guarantees about one you buy.

Guest Astra900

It's truly sad. Third world, uneducated countries have been beating out reliable AK's on a rock for decades and a fully tooled american manufacturer can't get it right. Century brings the same quality and craftsmanship to the gun world as Yugo and Daewoo brought to the automotive industry. Actually, I hate to insult Yugo and Daewoo with that comment.

I have one Century weapon left ( Because I had it tweaked)

I have owned a few Century products and will NEVER, NEVER buy one again. If

it is cheap enough you can fix it. Century has the worst customer service known to man. They deny anything is wrong until massive complaints start and you might go through two or three to get get one somewhat right.

They are OK for ammo and C&R, just don't get anything they build.

Guest Astra900

I only have one Century build. My Galil. I had to send the first one back and the second wasn't much better. I had to do some extensive massaging to work the kinks out of it. If it weren't for the fact that it was a Galil, and I wanted one very much, I would never had messed with it. Thankfully it has proven to be trustworthy now.

I wish a Century representative could read this thread. I'd post a picture of my butt so they'd know what to kiss. Then they could post a pic of their butt and I'd have a better idea of where I'd like them to shove their products.

Century rifles need to be hand picked and you need to know what to look for. Check the receiver make, straightness of the gas block and sights, etc......I have a Yugo under folder that I hand picked and it has been good to go.

Not all Century AKs are the same. My Yugos built on a DCI 1.6mm receivers are excellent. Even the WASRs usually work but many have canted sights.

I've built Romanian kits on NoDac Spud receivers that are great. Hard to find good kits now for $300 or less. If you can find a good kit, get a NDS receiver. You can do a "screw build" very easily - no special tools, just drill and tap.

I believe the Saiga is the best deal out there if you can find them for $400 or so. Another $100 in parts, a little work and you have a Russian made AK

Guest Bluemax

I have a Norinco Mac-90 Sporter and have looked at a couple of CA's AK variants quite honestly theres no comparison. The CA's are cheaply made and I would look elsewhere if I desired a reliable firearm

Edited by Bluemax
Got away from me

I have three Century WASR 10's that all work just fine. I did have a feed problem with one of them, and Classic Arms promptly replaced it. I got them when the prices were under $300.....I wouldn't pay today's prices for them. See if you can find a Saiga and convert it.

Guest Guitarsnguns
I've seen and heard too many horror stories about Century Arms's AKs to ever consider one.

Occasionally they might get it right, but not often enough.

+1 Try to find an Arsenal milled receiver (Bulgarian).