I *think* I did the right thing.

Guest Fenris

Guest Fenris

A neighbor friend called me and asked me to go down the street and check on his wife. She was home alone and said she heard someone messing with their door knocker. They picked it up, let it fall and that's all she heard.

*I* was home alone with my daughter. My wife took the van with the car seat. None of my next door neighbors were home.

I buckled my daughter in the back seat and slowly drove to my neighbors, phone in hand in case I saw anyone in the yard. My plan was to keep driving by and call the police. There was no one in sight. I put my daughter in the neighbor's house, borrowed a flashlight and cleared their storage shed and walked around the property. I saw no one. I strongly suggested that she call the non emergency police number and report a prowler so she could get an extra patrol.

It wasn't the best response, I know, and to tell the truth, I'm shaking a little, but I couldn't sit at home 10 houses down knowing a good friend could have been in danger.

I offered to take my friend to the range and teach him how to handle a gun and to recommend a good carry course.

I'm thinking through this and getting this out at a place I know I can vent and reflect....

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

You did the right thing. I worry when my wife is home alone, even though we live in a safe neighborhood.

While it could have just been some kids, you never know, so telling her to call the non-911 was a good idea.

Guest Fenris

Believe me, I was looking at all my close neighbors to see if there was anywhere I could put her for a few, but there were no lights on. I just started praying for safety.

Guest Pistorius

You did the best you could. I know that I would have appreciated it. Just the other night I left work early because my wife had a similar experience last week. She and my son had just come in from the grocery store when she saw three guys on our back deck. They kept motioning for her to open the door and talk to them, but she just told them to leave and then got my XD. She was very freaked out, and I was too. Our neighborhood seems to be pretty safe. We have a cop, a sheriff's deputy and a state trooper just down the street, but you never know.

Guest JavaGuy
she saw three guys on our back deck. They kept motioning for her to open the door and talk to them, but she just told them to leave and then got my XD.

Sounds to me like this was a robbery or worse waiting to happen. Glad she handled it the way she did, but I believe I would have gone ahead and called the law too. After all, if they didn't get her to let them in and undoubtedly went on to other houses to try their luck there.

Guest JavaGuy

Fenris, you did all that you could do under the circumstances. I know that I would have appreciated your effort. Good job.

Edited by JavaGuy
fix something
A neighbor friend called me and asked me to go down the street and check on his wife. She was home alone and said she heard someone messing with their door knocker. They picked it up, let it fall and that's all she heard.

*I* was home alone with my daughter. My wife took the van with the car seat. None of my next door neighbors were home.

I buckled my daughter in the back seat and slowly drove to my neighbors, phone in hand in case I saw anyone in the yard. My plan was to keep driving by and call the police. There was no one in sight. I put my daughter in the neighbor's house, borrowed a flashlight and cleared their storage shed and walked around the property. I saw no one. I strongly suggested that she call the non emergency police number and report a prowler so she could get an extra patrol.

It wasn't the best response, I know, and to tell the truth, I'm shaking a little, but I couldn't sit at home 10 houses down knowing a good friend could have been in danger.

I offered to take my friend to the range and teach him how to handle a gun and to recommend a good carry course.

I'm thinking through this and getting this out at a place I know I can vent and reflect....

I don't see where you were armed so I have to assume you weren't. With that in mind, your first plan was sound and neighborly.

The change in plan wasn't as good as the first. Everyone was put in more danger.

It seems to me that a call to 911, explaining the situation, asking for a patrol would have been preferable. Caveat for the 911 naysayers: In my area the 911 operators are trained for this. There is NOT a nonemergency number for this; you go through the 911 operators; that is part of their function.

That being said, glad everything went well. Stay safe.

It seems to me that a call to 911, explaining the situation, asking for a patrol would have been preferable. Caveat for the 911 naysayers: In my area the 911 operators are trained for this. There is NOT a nonemergency number for this; you go through the 911 operators; that is part of their function.

You would know better about your area than I would, but are you sure?

Where I used to work as a 911 operator/dispatcher we answered the 911 lines plus the non-emergency numbers for 3 different LE agencies (small county). Yes...no matter what numbered you dialed you were going to get the same person/dispatcher but if you dialed the 7 digit non-emergency number it would leave the 911 lines open for true emergencies.

I just figure there has to be a 7 digit number to reach the appropriate dispatcher...even if it is the same person you would get by dialing 911

You would know better about your area than I would, but are you sure?

Where I used to work as a 911 operator/dispatcher we answered the 911 lines plus the non-emergency numbers for 3 different LE agencies (small county). Yes...no matter what numbered you dialed you were going to get the same person/dispatcher but if you dialed the 7 digit non-emergency number it would leave the 911 lines open for true emergencies.

I just figure there has to be a 7 digit number to reach the appropriate dispatcher...even if it is the same person you would get by dialing 911

For example, in Johnson City, there are two numbers for the police department; 911 and another number. If you dial the other number, there is a recording that says if it is (a) and emergency, OR, (:) if you want an officer sent to your location, "hang up and call 911."

For example, in Johnson City, there are two numbers for the police department; 911 and another number. If you dial the other number, there is a recording that says if it is (a) and emergency, OR, (:) if you want an officer sent to your location, "hang up and call 911."

LOL...well I can believe that. LE and 911 district officials can be worse than the general public when it comes to the proper use of 911.

Metro Nashville has the best PR campaign that I've seen of the proper use of 911 and giving out their 7 digit number.

Guest Fenris
I don't see where you were armed so I have to assume you weren't. With that in mind, your first plan was sound and neighborly.

I was armed.

Guest TEBISH

When you say armed do you mean pistol with 1 mag or battle rifle with 210rds + pistol with 50rds? JK - but seriously - you did a great thing. Between myself and a few of my neighbors we're all close enough that we let each other know if we'll be out of town and we watch out for each other in similar fashion. If only more folks had that attitude..

I was having a conversation with other neighbors about how crime might get worse with the economy in the hole. I was unsurprised to find that a neighbor who claimed to own zero firearms let us all know she would depend on us if things went south. Offering to help train a person with no firearms training is a noble gesture - reminds me of the "give a man a fish and he'll be hungry tomorrow, teach a man to fish and he'll never hunger again" (Yeah I'm sure those aren't the exact words but the point gets across).

Guest Fenris

Later on I was talking to this same neighbor (and friend from church) and he started telling me about a gun his dad had that "wasn't even registered". I let him no there was no gun registration and it was perfectly legal for him to own a gun and keep it in his house. I even offered to let him borrow a revolver I have.

I hope to get to take him to the range.

On another note my wife was talking to a friend from church who is planning on taking the HCP class and I think I've got my wife talked into going through the class with her girlfriend.

Guest FroggyOne2

Now that is something truly positive. Enlightenment is the best medicine. Your actions have, I hope, opened their eyes a little wider.