and they ask why it is better to not just have Concealed Carry

Honolulu Police Chief Encourages Citizens to Report Legal Guns Not Concealed

Another situation reinforcing why it is better to not live in a state restricted to concealed carry.  From GunsAmerica Digest.

“Obviously, concealed carry and the definition of ‘conceal’ means that you can’t see it or it is unrecognizable to the average person,” said Logan (Honolulu Police Chief). “If it is noticed and you can see it, I would ask you to call 911.” 

Another situation reinforcing why it is better to not live in a state restricted to concealed carry.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/honolulu-police-chief-encourages-citizens-to-report-legal-guns-not-concealed/

• Wow 1
  • Angry 2
  • 1 year later...

I am all for carrying anywhere and everywhere. I also believe I shouldn't have to pay for a permit to exercise my rights. However, I am not a fan of open carry. The one who open carries is the first one shot. The one who open carries may have his/her weapon taken from them from behind. The most likely though is to have some liberal call 911 to report a man with a gun.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Dylan1911 said:

I am all for carrying anywhere and everywhere. I also believe I shouldn't have to pay for a permit to exercise my rights. However, I am not a fan of open carry. The one who open carries is the first one shot. The one who open carries may have his/her weapon taken from them from behind. The most likely though is to have some liberal call 911 to report a man with a gun.

The first one shot has not been proven-

• Like 1

I'm glad we have open carry for this reason, but most of the OCers I see are Fudd-types or wannabes who could probably be disarmed by my daughter.  A crap holster and no situational awareness make a lousy combination.  

• Like 2

To each his own, but I never thought the open carry thing wuz a good idea unless ya were goin hunting, working on the farm or woods, or goin to a shooting event. 

To me, it's a relic of times passed and it opens the door to lotsa potential problems; not the least of which is panic calls from the " less reasonable and informed " to police that an armed madman is on the loose.

I would much prefer that my pistola(s) be much like my sainted mom's petticoat slip n bloomers; very demure and out of sight of prying eyes...

leroy... 

• Like 3
On 7/6/2024 at 7:18 PM, krunchnik said:

The first one shot has not been proven-

Has been proven to happen many times. Plenty of cops have been shot before they knew about there was a robbery going on. 

More often though, open carriers get their guns stolen off their hip; and that is way more embarrassing, because you have to live through the shame. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Thearmededucator said:

Has been proven to happen many times. Plenty of cops have been shot before they knew about there was a robbery going on. 

More often though, open carriers get their guns stolen off their hip; and that is way more embarrassing, because you have to live through the shame. 

So I assume you do not approve of open carry-

20 hours ago, Thearmededucator said:

I would be interested in the stories of cops getting shot during a robbery that the did not know was going on.  I have seen a few guns stolen off the hip but not many. Most were very poorly attached.  

On 7/7/2024 at 4:59 PM, leroy said:

To each his own, but I never thought the open carry thing wuz a good idea unless ya were goin hunting, working on the farm or woods, or goin to a shooting event. 

To me, it's a relic of times passed and it opens the door to lotsa potential problems; not the least of which is panic calls from the " less reasonable and informed " to police that an armed madman is on the loose.

I would much prefer that my pistola(s) be much like my sainted mom's petticoat slip n bloomers; very demure and out of sight of prying eyes...

leroy... 

The times I have Open carried I never experienced any problems at all.  Not sure anyone even noticed. 

13 minutes ago, 45guy said:

The times I have Open carried I never experienced any problems at all.  Not sure anyone even noticed. 

Just because nobody started a conversation about your gun doesn’t mean they didn’t notice.  I bet somebody took note.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, 45guy said:

I have seen a few guns stolen off the hip but not many. Most were very poorly attached.  

I doubt there's much reliable "proof" either way, but my experience with members of the OC community aren't pleasant. I get a sense that most (not all) OC'ers are seeking attention and like @deerslayer said, most often have junk holsters you can buy at Walmart and almost zero sense of situational awareness. Plus, I'm all for our rights, but I feel like it's a game of trying to scare teh anti-gunners and/or wanting a confrontation.

• Like 3

Way back in 2001 I was visiting a friend in Missouri. At that time. there was no concealed carry, but open carry was legal. So I open carried while I was there. Nobody said a word, but I could feel all the eyes on me everywhere we went. At one point I was standing in a line with a Police Officer. He gave me a real hard eyeball, but didn't say anything. Frankly, it made me uncomfortable. I have not open carried since and likely never will. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I carry openly when out in the woods, but never in a public place where I expect to meet other people. Generally speaking, I think that those who are in the OC crowd want to be noticed. I prefer not to be.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Just because nobody started a conversation about your gun doesn’t mean they didn’t notice.  I bet somebody took note.  

It did not seem to be a problem for them then. What's to be afraid of? I see people open carrying and all I think is what are they carrying and do I need one. 

On 7/8/2024 at 7:13 PM, krunchnik said:

So I assume you do not approve of open carry-

I believe that open carry is a great law, because you don’t get arrested for a wardrobe malfunction, but believe it to generally be a poor tactic. 

There are circumstances where it’s a great choice; such as hiking, hunting, while at home, etc. 

I do also believe there is an argument to be made for carrying openly as a political statement and effort to normalize guns in public in a positive manner (not talking about long guns and plate carriers in Macys, those guys are tools); but in this instance the gun is more of a billboard than a defensive tool  

There are those bad actors who will be deterred by a gun openly carried, this is true. But there are also those who aren’t, and those are much more dangerous attackers. Prepare for that guy, and you’ll be prepared for the other one too. 

Edited by Thearmededucator