Suggestions for first handgun

clarky07

I have several rifles already, but I am looking to get my first handgun. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton to spend right now, it probably has to be less than $300. I am open to any caliber, but was sort of leaning to something that is cheaper to shoot right now. I plan on putting a lot of rounds through it as I learn. Also, this may turn into a carry weapon so keep that in mind.

Suggestions?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

If it was strictly a fun gun.....I'd say go with a CZ-52.....you can probably get one + about 800-1200rds of ammo for $300. Something that may become a carry gun, near that price I'd recommend a used .38, sigma, or a PT145 taurus.

Guest gcrookston

First Handgun? I would recommend a Ruger in .22. Any of them. Or about almost any .22. Shooting handguns is a lot different than shooting rifles and I recommend .22 to get down the fundamentals.

a nice little MkII or MkIII should do the trick. After shooting for 20+ years, I always take a .22 with me to the handgun range, to "bone-up" on the fundamentals.

Guest archerdr1

there is a KelTek 9mm here in Chattanooga at a pawn shop I was looking at buying it and the lady told me that she would take 275 for it. It is a nice little gun. Let me know if you are interested and I will let you know where. you can PM me if you want.

I think a Bursa .380 is one of the better guns under $300. It will shoot with many guns that cost twice as much. The drawback is that .380 ammo is pretty elusive. A used Ruger is also a good option. I have a P94 that I love. It is built like a tank and will shoot any type of ammo reliably. You can find one at a pawn shop for close to $300.

Guest Astra900
First Handgun? I would recommend a Ruger in .22. Any of them. Or about almost any .22. Shooting handguns is a lot different than shooting rifles and I recommend .22 to get down the fundamentals.

a nice little MkII or MkIII should do the trick. After shooting for 20+ years, I always take a .22 with me to the handgun range, to "bone-up" on the fundamentals.

Yeah, I agree. One like this one:dirty::

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=802

thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming.

I have shot handguns before, just haven't owned one. that said I don't think it will be a .22. Right now I am leaning towards the 9mm just because it will be reasonably cheap to practice with. I will have to look into the S&W. I was hoping to get that ruger but I noticed it is sold already.

That S&W 40 might also be an option ;). I'll have to think about it.

I will second the nomination of either a Ruger 9mm or a Smith and Wesson 3rd generation 9mm pistol. :tinfoil:

check with CDNN to see their prices on both of these pistols.

+1 to these guys! Really, you are asking too much out of a gun for too little. Find out what you want to use it for (range/practice, OR carry gun) hard to get both out of a gun especially for less than $300. If you were willing to go up on the price (sale some stuff) then I think a Glock 19 would suit you well assuming it fit your hand well. It is probably the best pistol out there for all around range/practice/HD/CCW out there, proven reliability and its in a 9mm. It will run you around $500-$530 when its all said and done.

Guest Dean_JC78

A .22 is the way to go for your first. I also highly recomend the Ruger. But if you can save up a tad more money, you could really have your pick. I would try to get up to $400 if I were you.

+1

If you want to learn to shoot pistols, I can't think of a better way to start.

Guest mn32768

My first handgun was a factory reconditioned 9mm Walther P-1 that Gander Mountain still sells for $275. Not really a concealed carry gun, but it was rock solid and easy to shoot (all steel construction, low recoil).

Go with the Ruger MkI-MKIII series. I am a S&W guy but my Ruger MKII is my main rimfire handgun. Don't waste your money on any of the tricked out other brands costing much more. Start out with the .22 and build skills first. The Ruger is a real "confidence builder" it will deliver lead on paper just where you want it every time if you do your part. Every real shooter should have at least one Ruger MKI-MKII. I have bought and fired other, more expensive brands. They are gone and the Ruger still goes to the range with me for every session.

C8A74F01738A43BAB0282D63C668D407.jpg

My first handgun was a Kel-Tec P3AT, and I chose it on purpose because I wanted to get a permit and carry it 24/7. It was a good choice. The Ruger 22 is fine if you just want to do some target shooting, but it would be difficult to carry, and not very powerful for self-defense purposes.

My top recommendation to people NOW (when p3ats and .380 ammo are both scarce) is to get a GLOCK 27 or 26, if you can find one. The mini GLOCKS are great for concealed carry, and not bad for fun at the range, either.

Guest Guitarsnguns
If it was strictly a fun gun.....I'd say go with a CZ-52.....you can probably get one + about 800-1200rds of ammo for $300. Something that may become a carry gun, near that price I'd recommend a used .38, sigma, or a PT145 taurus.

Gunslingers in Kingsport, TN has a bunch of cz52's to pick through for $219.00. I had to get one. You can't get much of a better pistol for that price. It is about the size and weight of a 1911. Great firearm.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I suggest looking at it from a different angle. Instead of using your budget amount as the 100% deciding factor in the handgun you purchase, I suggest finding the handgun that is right for you and then saving up to get it. A little patience could pay off big time in the end as it could result in you having exactly what you want/need, not just what you can afford at the time. My first handgun was a Sig P229 and I waited/saved for a year to get it, because that is the exact handgun I wanted.

Really, you are asking too much out of a gun for too little. Find out what you want to use it for (range/practice, OR carry gun) hard to get both out of a gun especially for less than $300.

Maybe I worded things a bit wrong. I want to get a handgun for self defense in the home and to carry after I become proficient and confident with it. To become proficient and confident with it, I plan on shooting it a lot.

Just having fun at the range / practice wasn't really criteria as such, just something that I plan on doing. It wasn't about the fun, though I do enjoy it, I was just pointing out that the price to shoot a 9mm is much cheaper than say a .45.

At this point I am leaning towards something like the S&W 5906. That looks like it accomplishes most of my goals around the price I can afford at this point. Probably in a year or so I will be looking for something nicer, a good Colt 1911 for 800 or something, but right now that just isn't an option.

Thanks for all the input, more suggestions / ideas on where I can find good deals are definitely welcome. Keep them coming. That link to summitguns says he is currently out of the 5906 :-(

I suggest looking at it from a different angle. Instead of using your budget amount as the 100% deciding factor in the handgun you purchase, I suggest finding the handgun that is right for you and then saving up to get it. A little patience could pay off big time in the end as it could result in you having exactly what you want/need, not just what you can afford at the time. My first handgun was a Sig P229 and I waited/saved for a year to get it, because that is the exact handgun I wanted.

while i agree to a certain extent, that is more how i would look at my second purchase. right now i am thinking about being able to defend myself if the need arises. if that happens sometime before i can afford my dream gun, well then that isn't a very good solution.