Traffic stop

Guest jackdog

Agreed.

What legal authority does a LEO have to disarm a law abiding HCP holder who has shown the necessary credentials?

39-17-1351(t)

Any law enforcement officer of this state or of any county or municipality may, within the realm of the officer's lawful jurisdiction and when the officer is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties, disarm a permit holder at any time when the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the permit holder, officer or other individual or individuals. The officer shall return the handgun to the permit holder before discharging the permit holder from the scene when the officer has determined that the permit holder is not a threat to the officer, to the permit holder, or other individual or individuals provided that the permit holder has not violated any provision of this section and provided the permit holder has not committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the permit holder.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer to exit the car and let the officer secure the weapon himself. No way do I want to be handling a firearm with a cop in front of me with his hand on his weapon.

If asked by the officer to secure my firearm, I would inform the officer that I am going to remove the gun and point it in a safe direction, remove the magazine, and then clear the chamber leaving the slide locked back to show the gun is safe. Then give the firearm to the officer.

Given that you do not know the skill level of the officer and his/her possible lack of familiarity with your type of firearm, I would prefer to secure the firearm to prevent a negligent discharge.

Guest SouthernSaltine

I was stopped last year by a State Trooper, When asked the usual, Blaa,blaa,blaa, I informed him i had an HCP and was carrying on my person, and where, handed him my extra permit from my visor. He then asked "would you mind disarming slowly or letting me disarm you. I said no, ill disarm myself, so i pulled out my weapon, released the mag, cleared the chamber, and locked the slide back, and handed it to him. He then asked me if i could give him the Mag as-well?? I said yes, gave it to him, he walked back to his car with my XD, Mag, and permit. He comes back hands it all back to me, told me to re-arm myself and SLOWDOWN, and have a nice day.

"reasonably believes there is a danger" thats the key. Too many self important LEOs believe they are the only ones that should carry. When in reality I bet if the stats were available citizens would be shown more competent.

I was stopped last year by a State Trooper, When asked the usual, Blaa,blaa,blaa, I informed him i had an HCP and was carrying on my person, and where, handed him my extra permit from my visor. He then asked "would you mind disarming slowly or letting me disarm you. I said no, ill disarm myself, so i pulled out my weapon, released the mag, cleared the chamber, and locked the slide back, and handed it to him. He then asked me if i could give him the Mag as-well?? I said yes, gave it to him, he walked back to his car with my XD, Mag, and permit. He comes back hands it all back to me, told me to re-arm myself and SLOWDOWN, and have a nice day.

Good stop, good for you!