Traffic stop

Guest jackdog

Guest jackdog

Friday Am I was going west bound on Tn 79 towards Dover. I saw a bunch of flashing lights and slowed down. I saw 4 state patrol cars in the right lane. Traffic cones were set up to corral drivers to the left lane. Officers were stopping all cars. I pulled up and a DPS officer. asked for license ,registration and insurance. When I showed him my license he noticed my HCP.

Officer. Are you carrying a fire arm.

Me. Yes

Officer. You should have informed me immediately.

Me. why state law does require me to inform you.

Officer. Any other reason you failed to in form me.

Me. well yes it is called the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. Tennessee is still part of the United States I believe.

Officer. You are correct, it is just a courtesy if we are informed.

Me. Well you were not being courteous when you demanded why you were not in formed.

Officer. I suppose I was not, I apologize.

Me. thank you, please have a safe day.

Officer. you to.

If the state wants us to inform than make that the law. I have no problem with the law either way. other than it is inconsistent. Never sure which is the best way to go.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post jackdog!!

I'm with you on the law. If it was must inform, I would do it have no problem, but is is not. So if a HCP holder chooses to be courteous by informing immediately, fine. But if one does not then there should be no repercussion.

Also kudos to the trooper for coming around.

I would not, situations like this is exactly why I no longer have my HCP behind my DL but way back under other cards.

Friday Am I was going west bound on Tn 79 towards Dover. I saw a bunch of flashing lights and slowed down. I saw 4 state patrol cars in the right lane. Traffic cones were set up to corral drivers to the left lane. Officers were stopping all cars. I pulled up and a DPS officer. asked for license ,registration and insurance. When I showed him my license he noticed my HCP.

Officer. Are you carrying a fire arm.

Me. Yes

Officer. You should have informed me immediately.

Me. why state law does require me to inform you.

Officer. Any other reason you failed to in form me.

Me. well yes it is called the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. Tennessee is still part of the United States I believe.

Officer. You are correct, it is just a courtesy if we are informed.

Me. Well you were not being courteous when you demanded why you were not in formed.

Officer. I suppose I was not, I apologize.

Me. thank you, please have a safe day.

Officer. you to.

If the state wants us to inform than make that the law. I have no problem with the law either way. other than it is inconsistent. Never sure which is the best way to go.

Good job on handling this correctly. And, I agree that if one isn't going to inform, put the HCP where it isn't seen until asked.

Guest jackdog
Out of curiosity, what time in the morning did this event occur? Were the state troopers performing a sobriety checkpoint?

around 9:30 am. Really have no idea what they were looking for, never thought to ask. Sobriety at 9:00 am..........Maybe but I doubt it.

Good post, it amazes me how confrontational some police get. Why should he expect to be told if he already saw the HCP ? I keep mine with my DL and just hand them both, buts thats me. Whats he want you to do start screaming "IM ARMED" as you pull up. dufus.:D

Guest jackdog

Once again to the young officers credit he did apologize to me, and that makes up for the whole deal in my book. Hey did I mention that guy was the tallest LEO I have ever seen. Man I really don't know how the hell he could fit in a cruiser. Anyone know what the maximum height of these guys are, because he must have bent his knees and cheated.

The troopers were probably conducting a driver's license check point, they do that (and other weird stuff at weird times). Most of the time when I pull someone over they show me their HCP with their DL. I've never demanded it. The only thing I've ever fussed at a few people about is having their HCP, but leaving the piece at home.

Me: "Now what good is it going to do you if you need it and you left it at home?"

Driver: "Hmm, good point, guess I'll start taking it with me."

I usually ask that question after I give the DL back and they're free to go (with no citation the vast majority of the time).

We usually have a good friendly conversation after that and I wind up spending way too much time on a traffic stop just talking and making new friends. I don't mind doing this, though, because MOST of the HCP holders I run into are good decent people.

I've just never understood why someone goes through all the Bravo Sierra to get the HCP, and then won't carry.

By the way Jackdog, you probably know to run under the speed limit in Dover. I'm sure I don't have to tell you what a nightmare speed trap Dover is.:up:

I will hand my permit out of courtsey to any LEO without them having to ask. I could care less if they know I carry or are currently carrying. Every time I have been through a road block, I have never been searched or even asked to step out of the car. Usually all I get is "Sir, your cleared to go. Have a nice day." :koolaid:

Guest db99wj

Cool story. Use to travel Hwy 79 at Dover alot when I was going over to Ft. Campbell for Guard duty.

I have been pulled over twice....gave my HCP with my license etc. Never asked anything else about my gun

I have been stopped twice at road block, sobriety checkpoints, whatever, did not inform, no problems.

The troopers were probably conducting a driver's license check point, they do that (and other weird stuff at weird times). Most of the time when I pull someone over they show me their HCP with their DL. I've never demanded it. The only thing I've ever fussed at a few people about is having their HCP, but leaving the piece at home.

Me: "Now what good is it going to do you if you need it and you left it at home?"

Driver: "Hmm, good point, guess I'll start taking it with me."

I usually ask that question after I give the DL back and they're free to go (with no citation the vast majority of the time).

We usually have a good friendly conversation after that and I wind up spending way too much time on a traffic stop just talking and making new friends. I don't mind doing this, though, because MOST of the HCP holders I run into are good decent people.

I've just never understood why someone goes through all the Bravo Sierra to get the HCP, and then won't carry.

By the way Jackdog, you probably know to run under the speed limit in Dover. I'm sure I don't have to tell you what a nightmare speed trap Dover is.:drama:

I don't carry to and from work because weapons aren't allowed on the property. I don't carry all of the time, and base the decision on where I'm going and what I'm doing. I carried to go shop for a new bed at The Avenue in Murfreesboro, and spent the entire time trying to hide the gun while trying to judge the bed with the gun poking me in the side.

I was told when I took my class that the officer can ask you to step out of the vehicle and clear your weapon if he chooses to do so.

I've said it before:

Be VERY careful before you start handling your handgun on the roadway in the presence of an officer. It could get you shot by unwary back up patrol.

I don't carry to and from work because weapons aren't allowed on the property. I don't carry all of the time, and base the decision on where I'm going and what I'm doing. I carried to go shop for a new bed at The Avenue in Murfreesboro, and spent the entire time trying to hide the gun while trying to judge the bed with the gun poking me in the side.

Yeah, it can get a little uncomfortable at times, I understand that. I've often thought about changing jobs. I've thought that if I worked somewhere that didn't allow guns on the property, I'd try to find somewhere for secure storage off-site until I got off work. It's just hard to imagine that being practical for me to actually do, though.

Guest Traumaslave

I have been asked to remove and clear by a county LEO, and did so. This during his report of my single car MVC. I transfered my HCP from Ohio where it is a BIG NO NO to handle while in the presence of a LEO. Only came across it once in Ohio where I refused as nicely as I could and explained that I would be commiting a felony if I did so. He didn't know that and decided to allow me to retain my firearm.

Guest kcnative

I would prefer to exit the car and let the officer secure the weapon himself. No way do I want to be handling a firearm with a cop in front of me with his hand on his weapon.

Guest kcnative

I would prefer to exit the car and let the officer secure the weapon himself. No way do I want to be handling a firearm with a cop in front of me with his hand on his weapon.

I would prefer not to disarm at all.

Agreed.

What legal authority does a LEO have to disarm a law abiding HCP holder who has shown the necessary credentials?

Agreed.

What legal authority does a LEO have to disarm a law abiding HCP holder who has shown the necessary credentials?

It was explained to me that they have the right to check the weapon, Most do not for the simple reason they dont want you handling it around them.