Nashville mayoral race...

Guest Chuck McDaniel

Guest Chuck McDaniel

Since early voting is ready to start up, as a new Nashville resident I thought I would ask if there is a pro-Second Amendment candidate in the mix. I have been trying to do some research but haven't been able to come up with any answers.

If no RKBA candidates are out there, who will do us the least damage? Thoughts? Opinions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every one of those s***heads says the same thing: they're for better schools and less crime. No one wants to tell anyone how they actually propose doing that. Although you can bet more money will be thrown at it. Not one of them has a clue what to do.

Briley is anti-gun (so I am told). Dozier is probably pro-gun. But it doesnt make a bit of difference.

It is the most depressing election I can remember. It is so bad I will probably not vote.

And I am considering running for council next year.

Barring the bizarre, Clement will win. He's a pretty conservative Democrat and does not have much of an anti- or pro-gun history. Says all the usual platitudes. I doubt as Mayor he will do much in regard to guns (or anything else for that matter.) Clement is best known for his thoroughly unremarkable career in Congress, his last name and the butt-whuppin he got when he ran for the Senate a few years back.

I agree with The Rabbi (probably a first) that this is shaping up as a sad mayoral election in Nashville. (Although I will say we probably think this for completely different reasons!)

On the plus side, some of the term-limited members of the metro council will no longer be with us. Probably the most inept legislative body I have ever witnessed in action (or inaction, as the case may be.)

Look for 4 years of mediocre Nashville govt, coupled with a property tax increase to pay for something most Nashvillians probably wont want...

Guest Chuck McDaniel

Rabbi,

I got the impression that Dozier was one of the more conservative candidates, but I saw him quoted as making a statement that could be characterized as anti regarding guns on the Tennessean.com profiles.

I saw in another thread where you mentioned the possibility of throwing your hat in the ring in the future and hope that you do. You will get my vote.

Thanks.

Guest Chuck McDaniel

Len,

Thanks for the straightforward commentary. So is it safe to say that Clement will be the least undesirable in regard to RKBA?

Guest Chuck McDaniel
...coupled with a property tax increase to pay for something most Nashvillians probably wont want

Len, I got this impression as well.

Fortunately RKBA is not a big issue at the city level. There isn't much they can do about and there isnt anything they will do about it.

I suspect Len and I agree more than we disagree here.

<rant>

My biggest beef is that the city is not sticking to what it is supposed to do. The city gov't is no good at property development, sports promotions, or facilities management. As a result the taxpayers get hosed whenever one of these things comes up.

Fortunately there are people who are actually professionals in this area. Those are the people who need to be running sports teams, etc.

Meanwhile things like water need serious attention. I was told (albeit some years ago) that in Nashville a good bit of the underground pipe is actually old cypress trees hollowed out. That is how it was done in the 1890s. The city loses tons of water through these old pipes every year, but it is too expensive to repair.

I'd say, privatize the other stuff and use the money to improve the infrastructure. That is something the city is supposed to be doing. With better infrastructure and lower taxes, sports teams etc will naturally want to make Nashville a home. This will eliminate the need for bribery.</rant>

• Administrator
Barring the bizarre, Clement will win. He's a pretty conservative Democrat and does not have much of an anti- or pro-gun history. Says all the usual platitudes. I doubt as Mayor he will do much in regard to guns (or anything else for that matter.) Clement is best known for his thoroughly unremarkable career in Congress, his last name and the butt-whuppin he got when he ran for the Senate a few years back.

I agree with The Rabbi (probably a first) that this is shaping up as a sad mayoral election in Nashville. (Although I will say we probably think this for completely different reasons!)

On the plus side, some of the term-limited members of the metro council will no longer be with us. Probably the most inept legislative body I have ever witnessed in action (or inaction, as the case may be.)

Look for 4 years of mediocre Nashville govt, coupled with a property tax increase to pay for something most Nashvillians probably wont want...

Wow... after that diatribe I think I'm going to go hang myself with my own underwear unless someone sends me an FTD Pick Me Up Bouquet and does it stat. :D

You're a ray of sunshine, Len. :shhh:

No, mediocrity is actually a good thing. It means they wont get to do much, which is preferable to them doing something stupid.

As for property tax increases, voters have limited that avenue by passing a measure requiring all increases to be approved by public vote. The last time they put a tax increase to public vote, it went down by a landslide.

That wont stop people (esp the teachers' union) from predicting Armageddon if a tax increase isnt passed, for the children. Of course.

Make sure to use clean underwear...that way you won't be embarrassed when they find you

I have to agree...this election cycle is junk. Clement has the name...Briley is trying to run off his family name. His kin in the TN House/Senate is part of the reason the bill that would have given us back our rights to carry in restaurants that serve booze died.

Carl Dean and Gentry are part of the problem now. Carl Dean's phone people don't know what "please don't call me anymore" means until it's wrapped with several F bombs and discussions of their mothers integrity.

Dozier has been part of the problem as well. I'm scared whomever we get in office would turn into another Bloomburg

Rabbi...I think the city is ready for new blood...you got my vote as well.

Guest Chuck McDaniel

Dunndw,

Thanks for the additional info. on the Briley family name. Regardless of the worth of voting, I'm going to exercise my right. If I can do my part to at least put off this place drifting more towards becoming "New York City Lite", I will and will have the right to gripe about it later. Otherwise, I'll have to pack up my family again and...

Tungsten, I'm calling FTD for you. Where should I send the flowers? Just in case you have a relapse, maybe you should go "al fresco" for the next few days! :D

Of the candidates with a chance to win, yeah probably. But, as Rabbi said, in TN gun issues are not big at the city level. The state govt. does not allow cities to do much on their own. This provides the benefit of state-wide consistency on rules & regs, but does not allow cities much leeway to blaze their own trail or adopt to local conditions. I suppose there are good and bad aspects to this approach.

Len,

Thanks for the straightforward commentary. So is it safe to say that Clement will be the least undesirable in regard to RKBA?

I live to serve! :shhh:

Wow... after that diatribe I think I'm going to go hang myself with my own underwear unless someone sends me an FTD Pick Me Up Bouquet and does it stat. :D

You're a ray of sunshine, Len. :D

That's the spirit Danny! Voting is important, even if its just to insert "The Rabbi" as a write-in candidate.

I've been generally impressed with Nashville since I moved to TN (with a few notable exceptions) now 13 years ago. I just don't see a Clement administration as the best way to keep me interested. Who knows, maybe I'll be proven wrong. I sure hope so.

Dunndw,

Thanks for the additional info. on the Briley family name. Regardless of the worth of voting, I'm going to exercise my right. If I can do my part to at least put off this place drifting more towards becoming "New York City Lite", I will and will have the right to gripe about it later. Otherwise, I'll have to pack up my family again and...

Tungsten, I'm calling FTD for you. Where should I send the flowers? Just in case you have a relapse, maybe you should go "al fresco" for the next few days! :D