Do you ever carry a back-up weapon?

Guest archerdr1

Listen, I realize that some of what I said in this post may be conceived as being a bit harsh, but let's be men here and talk about this frankly. We aren't discussing your golf handicap or the weather. We're talking about life and death. Not just yours, but the lives (and perhaps deaths) of your loved ones. We're talking about your decision to go armed to protect yourself and them against some really evil **** that stalks the unaware in this world.

Having a realistic assessment of this fundamental truth and preparing yourself to deal with it should the situation arise is not being paranoid. It's called being prepared. You're halfway there since you have undertaken it to arm yourself. I encourage you... no, I implore you... to consider all of the angles before carelessly dismissing the use of a backup weapon as the domain of police officers and soldiers. That sort of thinking is what the Leftists use to argue against civilian gun ownership in the first place.

So, if I've offended you in this post... good; that means I got your attention. That's all I am trying to do. I'm not trying to offend you for the sake of making a random stranger mad. I'm just trying to get you to reconsider some of the narrow-minded and completely contradictory statements that you made.

Good luck and stay safe.

Trust me, I'm not offended and I always give my attention to others who are chatting with me. Are my "narrow minded and completely contradictory statements" I make wrong?? They could be, but there's always more to it then a few paragraphs typed in and online forum.

I look around me where I live and where I go. Wal-Mart, work, a few choice gas stations, my parents house etc. These areas I'm in are/have not been known for violent crimes much less crimes in general. Seriously, Knoxville isn't like Detroit, Miami, Houston, LA, the Bronx, Philly or tons of other places I've passed through. Sure KnoxVegas and the surrounding sities have "bad/ruff" places....I've naturally never been around those areas in the 33years I've lived in E.TN. The area's I subject myself to in public are not likley targets for robbery or rapes. Who really holds up a Staples?? "Put your hands up and give me all your ink cartriges!!" The actual need to worry about the possibility of something happening is very small. IF somthing was to happen, I am more prepared to deal with the situation then most around me.

I can see the point and usefullness of a BUG. They are needed and a must in certain situations or by personal preference because of job or area of dwellling. My situation is different than others but still well thought out.

Maybe one day we'll chat in person about this subject instead of typing about it. ;)

Geez, the guy gave his reasons, leave him alone. It's

really not fair to be mean to him. Telling him that he ought to have his wife take a gun course class and protect him because he chooses not to carry two guns around in his daily activities? He's already taken the courses and made a decision.

These things are situational. Greater risk of harm requires greater use of reasonable care.

I appreciate that but critisim good or bad should still be listened to and considered at all times. It's only polite. (Besides, my grandmother and father beat listening skills into me) That way, hopefully a sound judgment can be made from the information that will benifit yourself. Because of a small paragraph, it was assumned I'd never attended any type of self defense course when in fact, I've been through a few. I try to explain my thoughts when typing but emotions through words aren't my strong point!!:tough:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if I carried a purse,Id have room for an extra gun! Otherwise I do not have enough pockets.

There is another one near by though!

When its your time to go,its your time to go,plane and simple.

However thats not to stop someone else from changing the "plan".Nobody/thing/higherbeing can or will stop that from happening except yourself in some instances.Ive been there,done that!You gotta help yourself!

• Administrator
.(Besides, my grandmother and father beat listening skills into me)

It suddenly occurs to me that you and I may somehow be related. :screwy:

Thanks for the replies and I'm happy to hear that I didn't offend you. The ink cartridges jab got a good laugh out of me too. I've got to head to Staples today in fact; I may leave my BUG at home this once. :tinfoil:

Guest db99wj
If she's anything like my wife, she WILL show you up at the range.

OH, I'm prepared and expecting that, I have never gloated to her about my shooting, because after 12 years of marriage, she will, and she will point this out.....a lot!:D

It suddenly occurs to me that you and I may somehow be related. ;)

Thanks for the replies and I'm happy to hear that I didn't offend you. The ink cartridges jab got a good laugh out of me too. I've got to head to Staples today in fact; I may leave my BUG at home this once. :rolleyes:

Glad you got a kick out of the Staples comment. My wife actually said that to me one day when I grabbed my paddle holster and put it on while getting ready to head to Staples. My only reply was , "I paid $210 and 8hrs of my time to be able to play cowboy when ever I want to. Where's the keys to my horse?" And I ducked out the door....:D

Glad you got a kick out of the Staples comment. My wife actually said that to me one day when I grabbed my paddle holster and put it on while getting ready to head to Staples. My only reply was , "I paid $210 and 8hrs of my time to be able to play cowboy when ever I want to. Where's the keys to my horse?" And I ducked out the door....:wave:

:D

Glad you got a kick out of the Staples comment. My wife actually said that to me one day when I grabbed my paddle holster and put it on while getting ready to head to Staples. My only reply was , "I paid $210 and 8hrs of my time to be able to play cowboy when ever I want to. Where's the keys to my horse?" And I ducked out the door....:rolleyes:

ROFL that's superb

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bill Lumberg

The average ccw'er is most likely to live a full and natural life without ever having needed a weapon for self defense. That said, do what makes you feel good if it's legal. A little more realistic is carrying an extra magazine if your gun is a semi-auto. While you're even less likely to need the extra mag than the gun, many semi-auto stoppages can be remedied by the application of another mag.

Guest Todd@CIS
The average ccw'er is most likely to live a full and natural life without ever having needed a weapon for self defense.

Averages are a tricky thing...especially when discussing self defense.

If I put one hand in a bucket of icewater and the other in a bucket of boiling water, the law of averages says that I should be comfortable...

Guest Bill Lumberg

Quite correct.

The average ccw'er is most likely to live a full and natural life without ever having needed a weapon for self defense. That said, do what makes you feel good if it's legal. A little more realistic is carrying an extra magazine if your gun is a semi-auto. While you're even less likely to need the extra mag than the gun, many semi-auto stoppages can be remedied by the application of another mag.
Guest kingtone

my gun is my backup weapon.

my superior intellect, good looks and fists of steel are my primary weapons.

(half joking... my common sense and intelligence and spidey sense are first and foremost... martial arts training second.. gun.. is backup for when my feet and brain can not get me out of the situation)

i know its not the answer you were after

To answer original question: No I don't carry a bug.

I carry a revolver as EDC. It gets a patch through barrel and cylinder every morning. At that time it also gets a basic function check.

I will try to hide or avoid first, so I don't see a "Dodge City Shootout" with three to five adversaries as so popular at "gun schools." If lucky enough to even be able to return fire, I will have time to use only one gun.

I amazed by the same posters that scream "it isn't a gun if it doesn't start with a 4" bunch who recommend a .32 or .380 for a weapon that they may have to depend on. .380 ballistics aside, their dependability sucks!

My opinions are not based on my training at GunSite (yes I went twice for different courses) but on 6 years in combat. And I have killed men and I have watched good men die. I have been shot. Three hits in the "4" zone doesn't always score as a "good kill" in real life, sometimes that is just enough to really anger your adversary. I firmly believe that our best bet for survival in a street situation is to isolate down to one bad guy and empty the gun in him. Anything else is a pipe dream.

Edited by wjh2657
Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
I would simply play the odds. The odds of getting into a firefight are pretty small to begin with. Carry the gun, defend yourself if the situation DOES arise...but the odds of your (presumably dependable, otherwise why carry it?) gun/ammo malfunctioning at that specific time and place?

Astronomical.

You're probably more likely to get killed by a bee sting on a Tuesday afternoon.

I'm not going to bash a person either way, but for me the odds of my gun failing in the unlikely event that I'm attacked are so low that, to me, it's not worth worrying about.

+1

Guest Tn.Mitch
I was just wondering, does anyone carry a back-up weapon? I carry a Ruger P345. It is a great weapon, plenty of power, thin, so it is easy to carry concealed. Sometimes I will carry my Ruger P95 as a back-up. It usually is in my glove box, but many times, especially if I feel uncomfortable in a place, I will carry the 9mm on the small of my back (I have to put it there because it is so wide and bulky that it becomes hard to hide. I was asked by a cop friend Why I carry a second weapon. I replied "Don't you?" He said, "good point!"

Yes I do..My exwifes Bg Mouth!! :rolleyes: