Do you ever carry a back-up weapon?

Guest archerdr1

Apperantly I might be the only one whom really doesn't carry a "bug".

I don't feel the need to carry a back up of any kind. I always carry a fairly large folding knife (spyderco or the like) and a small LED flashlight but never really felt the need to carry anything other than my primary firearm. I am quite confident in my Kimber Pro Carry II as well as both of my Glocks. They all have gone bang from day one with absoutly no issues at all. Every round, every time with tons of different types of ammo. The Kimber is the only pickey firearm and that's just because of the "tight" (sometimes to tight) tollerances which can lead to having to fire premimum ammo all the time (of which I do). This was a lesson learned on a previous Kimber as well as knowledge gained from some fanatics....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I don't feel the need to carry a back up of any kind. I always carry a fairly large folding knife (spyderco or the like) and a small LED flashlight but never really felt the need to carry anything other than my primary firearm. I am quite confident in my Kimber Pro Carry II as well as both of my Glocks. They all have gone bang from day one with absoutly no issues at all. Every round, every time with tons of different types of ammo.

All it took was attending a good defensive handgun class for me to see why thinking like that could get me killed. I'd recommend you do the same.

All it took was attending a good defensive handgun class for me to see why thinking like that could get me killed. I'd recommend you do the same.

Yar that thar be mighty good advice.:down:

I trust my primary with my life, I also trust my BUG with said life should my Kimber betray my trust like my no good ex-girlfriend...:lol:

Guest Fenris

I do not carry a BUG simply because I cannot afford one at the moment and the only thing I have that would serve as a BUG I barely trust at the range.

I just can't imagine having to conceal two guns during the summer time. If i planned to open carry, it may be a different story.

I will continue to carry one of my spydercos.... Looking forward to relying more on my GlockFu skillz though :down:

...still waiting on my hcp.

I just can't imagine having to conceal two guns during the summer time. ...

Yeah, especially if you walk a lot.

I just don't have any more room on bod: XD IWB, extra mag, multi-tool, flashlight in left pocket, wallet and main knife in left back pocket, keys w/knife and flashlight, magnifier, eyedrops in right pocket, comb and "2nd" wallet in right back pocket, neck knife, cellphone on belt. Reading glasses around neck, pen and Sana clipped to collar, watch on wrist.

Whew! That's a LOT of stuff, but I need it all!

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Grout

+2,Ain't a make or model I haven't seen puke at one time or another.That includes Glocks and revolvers.:D

I wouldn't think that a BUG is necessary for the average citizen who is confident that his handgun will work.

I'm all for defensive handgun schools, etc., but really, I see no need to carry two guns for most civilian situations.

Caveat: I do, on occassion, carry a separate concealled handgun. For instance, when I go to a forest range, I always have a BUG that never gets shown or used and I hope it stays that way.

My idea of a back up gun rests behind the seat of my truck. My EDC's only purpose is to cover me long enough to get back to the truck. From there, I will run if at all possible, if not and I'm not dead yet, out comes something a little louder. This is all dependent on one of those off the wall, never gonna happen, mutant zombie thug gangster wars I find myself in the middle of:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I don't go many places in the first place, and the places I do travel, I can't see where I will be trading lead enough to need a back up gun. Now if I had to go to town everyday and work amongst the sheeple like many of you, I'd certainly take a BUG more seriously.

Light weight 38. I agree though, my 1 or 2 EDC's are there to get me to my truck and the companion behind the seat.

Reckon that there's a nice picture of Carl there Astra, mmmm-hhmmmm! Reckon a feller ort not go without a backup, mmm-hhmmm

Edited by res308
Yar that thar be mighty good advice.:up:

I trust my primary with my life, I also trust my BUG with said life should my Kimber betray my trust like my no good ex-girlfriend...:(

Hey, I resent that comment about the "ex-girlfriend." I've had many ex-girlfriends. Naturally I've found guns MUCH MORE RELIABLE!:bow:

• Administrator

Again, those who say they see no need for a BUG really should consider taking at least one good instructor led defensive handgun class. Even barring an equipment failure, you may find that it is faster to resort to your BUG than reload; you may suffer a debilitating injury or find yourself in a position physically where accessing your primary weapon is impossible; or you may need to quickly arm a companion to help in the fight.

There are plenty of reasons to carry a BUG.

Guest bkelm18
I wouldn't think that a BUG is necessary for the average citizen who is confident that his handgun will work.

Confidence is good for candy and nuts but it does nothing for the mechanical workings of a machine. In other words, your confidence level and the ability of your gun to go bang every time has absolutely noting to do with each other.

I always carry two. XD 45 is my main carry with a Pt11 or PT145 as backup, extra mags and Benchmade folder with 6 inch blade.

Dunno if it's enforced, but i saw somewhere that 4" was the legal limit on blade size. Maybe that's fixed blade(?) You may want to look into it though.

Again, those who say they see no need for a BUG really should consider taking at least one good instructor led defensive handgun class. Even barring an equipment failure, you may find that it is faster to resort to your BUG than reload; you may suffer a debilitating injury or find yourself in a position physically where accessing your primary weapon is impossible; or you may need to quickly arm a companion to help in the fight.

There are plenty of reasons to carry a BUG.

I've been to a few classes as well and I understand the point. I am well aware of my surroundings and "outs" if they were needed to be used. I'm not a cop or a soldier so why do I need to carry extra equiptment? Pocket pistol or not I see no use in carrying 2 guns.(rifle/pistol combo's don't count) I don't have 2 cars cause one might fail. God didn't give me 2 lives cause one might fail. Because something mechanical "might" fail means nothing to me. Hell, all pieces of machinery fail eventually. I've got better things to worry about other than my gun failiing me. Sure, the gun might fail and I might die. What's the point?? I'll die someday when God decides it's time. Until then, I'm paying for life insurance for my family's benifit, I take advantage of everyday to the fullest, I spend as much time as I can with my family and friends and best of all, I DON"T worry about what's gona happen around the next corner or if my gun's gona fail. I'm not paranoid nor do I see the need to have the "what if" mentality. I'm totally comfortable with dying when it happens.

+2,Ain't a make or model I haven't seen puke at one time or another.That includes Glocks and revolvers.:koolaid:

Still not a valid enough point in my mind to worry about it as much as some do. I understand the theory and the worry behind a back up gun.

Confidence is good for candy and nuts but it does nothing for the mechanical workings of a machine. In other words, your confidence level and the ability of your gun to go bang every time has absolutely noting to do with each other.

See my above mentality state....

Edited by kwe45919
Guest bkelm18
I've been to a few classes as well and I understand the point. I am well aware of my surroundings and "outs" if they were needed to be used. I'm not a cop or a soldier so why do I need to carry extra equiptment? Pocket pistol or not I see no use in carrying 2 guns.(rifle/pistol combo's don't count) I don't have 2 cars cause one might fail. God didn't give me 2 lives cause one might fail. Because something mechanical "might" fail means nothing to me. Hell, all pieces of machinery fail eventually. I've got better things to worry about other than my gun failiing me. Sure, the gun might fail and I might die. What's the point?? I'll die someday when God decides it's time. Until then, I'm paying for life insurance for my family's benifit, I take advantage of everyday to the fullest, I spend as much time as I can with my family and friends and best of all, I DON"T worry about what's gona happen around the next corner or if my gun's gona fail. I'm not paranoid nor do I see the need to have the "what if" mentality. I'm totally comfortable with dying when it happens.

I would launch into a monologue on the utter nonsense of all that (I mean if you think like that, then why even carry a gun to begin with...), but I'm not. :koolaid: I'll just say that for me, myself, I will do everything in my power to keep my time of death in my own hands and not someone elses. Not some thug's or one of the various supreme being's.