Bills to be voted on tomorrow 3/19/09

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sstouder

is *HB0070 a removal of making it a crime to use deadly force to protect your land? I read the summary and thats what it seems like it says. I didnt know you couldnt use deadly force to protect your crap

Guest bkelm18
is *HB0070 a removal of making it a crime to use deadly force to protect your land? I read the summary and thats what it seems like it says. I didnt know you couldnt use deadly force to protect your crap

It is illegal to use deadly force to protect property (currently). I don't think there are many states where it is legal to do so.

It is illegal to use deadly force to protect property (currently). I don't think there are many states where it is legal to do so.

The way I understood the Castle Doctrine is that you can confront someone in the act of stealing your property. I would say if they ran you couldn't shoot them legally but, if they threatened to harm you you may have a case to use deadly force.

Now what do they consider is using deadly force? Is simply pointing a gun at someone stealing in your tool shed deadly force or do you actually have to shoot them? I would say pointing a gun at someone is only threatening to use deadly force but I'm no lawyer.

39-11-614 says you can not use deadly force to protect property. However there are times where you might be considered defending property, even if a self-defense situation under 39-11-611. Like a car jacking. If a DA wanted to he might could try to prosocute you under 39-11-614 even though you would have been ok under 39-11-611. This bill removes that loophole, by saying that it is legal to used deadly force while protecting property, IF you are otherwise permited by law (39-11-611).

So....this bill will not make TN like TX by allowing the use of deadly force to protect property :tinfoil: You can still only use deadly force within the self-defense laws. But when/if this becomes law, you won't have to be worried about 39-11-614 even you were protecting property and life at the same time.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Regarding HB 0962, I just got this email back from Rep. Todd's office.

"Rep. Todd held the bill on the desk because he is waiting to pass it with the other gun bills."

Guest TEBISH
Regarding HB 0962, I just got this email back from Rep. Todd's office.

"Rep. Todd held the bill on the desk because he is waiting to pass it with the other gun bills."

Good to know - did he include a timeline?

Guest JHatmaker
The way I understood the Castle Doctrine is that you can confront someone in the act of stealing your property. I would say if they ran you couldn't shoot them legally but, if they threatened to harm you you may have a case to use deadly force.

Now what do they consider is using deadly force? Is simply pointing a gun at someone stealing in your tool shed deadly force or do you actually have to shoot them? I would say pointing a gun at someone is only threatening to use deadly force but I'm no lawyer.

Correct, if they run off, you can't shoot them, but if you contront them and they come at you and "cause you to fear for your life" then you could use deadly force. (At least according to my Carry Permit instructor)

• 2 weeks later...
I dont agree with the curfew but lets get it passed and then we can work on an ammendment

It did pass the House.

If it passes in the Senate with the same restriction and then becomes law, no amendment can change it. There would have to be a new bill introduced in a new session to change it.

Of course which if that happens.....is better than nothing. However...there is at least a slim chance the senate could remove restrictions from it's bill.

If so then the bill would go to a conference committee of the two chambers for the differences to be worked out...which could include the restrictions being left off.

Guest Guitarsnguns

I just received an email from Rep. Tony Shipley assuring me that the restaraunt carry bill will have the 11:00 pm curfew lifted before it is written as law. I am very impressed that he took the time to reply.

I just received an email from Rep. Tony Shipley assuring me that the restaraunt carry bill will have the 11:00 pm curfew lifted before it is written as law. I am very impressed that he took the time to reply.

Tony is a long time NRA member and very pro gun. Was one of my most active volunteers in the 1st District when I was the NRA-ILA EVC for TN 1.