S&W PPK & PPK/S recall

Guest PerazziTM1

Guest PerazziTM1

I don't think this has been posted... I did a search. Smith and Wesson has issued a recall for the PPK and PPK/S.

From the S&W website:

"Smith & Wesson has identified a condition that may exist in certain PPK and PPK/S pistols which may permit a round to be discharged without the trigger being pulled. When the manual safety is disengaged, Smith & Wesson’s Product Engineering Group has determined that the possibility exists in certain firearms that lowering the hammer may cause a chambered round to fire."

Link to notice mash on link for complete info.

Mods could you make this a sticky ?

Shoot good,

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I registered on line via the website on February 22 thanks to S&W Forty's original post. I received an email on March 26 letting me know that the next email I received from S&W would be the mailing label. It came a couple of hours later. First thing I noticed right off the bat was it was UPS 2nd Day Air. Now dealing with BROWN in the past, I know their Company Policy is to send all Firearms Next Day only so I called S&W. They confirmed that they had worked out special arrangements with UPS. So I proceeded to box up my PPK as instructed and took it to the Massman Drive UPS hub since it is 1/4 mile from my office, waited in line and listed to two customers in front of me swear they would never ship UPS again. I finally get my turn only to get the run around from the retard (no offense to the mentally disabled as they usually have more tact and mental capacity than this nimrod) behind the counter once I informed him there was a firearm in the package. He then informed me that it was their corporate policy that all handguns must go Next Day Air. I told him what S&W had said and asked that he confer with his manager. He walks in the back room, calls the supervisor on the phone and says " I've got a customer here trying to send a handgun 2nd day, isn't it our policy that all handguns must be shipped next day?" I then hear "that's what I told him" and he hangs up and comes back out front in informs me that he is right, I'm wrong, and they they cannot ship this package 2nd day. I told him I heard is whole conversation and asked why he didn't inform his supervisor about the S&W agreement. He aid point blank" It doesn't matter what anyone else told you, this is our policy." I ask to use the phone so I can call S&W back and he points out one across the room. I dial the number and am waiting to speak with them when the little prick come over with a printed piece of paper with the UPS Policy Highlighted. He points to it, and gingerly whisks it on the table in front of me. I damn near lost it. I said "HEY!, dummy bring your highlighter over hear and allow me to finish highlighting the last line so maybe your feeble brain might be able to understand." That last line read "In certain circumstances where prior arrangements are made, firearms may be shipped 2nd Day Air" He said "uh, wa, uh, da" and I left. Once I got back to my office, I called the number for UPS Pickup that was on the email (800 654-3848) and the nicest lady answered. I told her about my troubles, informed her that this is the last time I'll use UPS (I already switched to FED EX years ago :mad:) and she apologized and told me she was faxing the Supervisor now and that If I gave them about a half hour, I could go back and they WOULD accept the package. When I went back 29 minutes later, retard was wasn't anywhere in sight but a nicely dressed lady (most likely a supervisor) was there. I told her I was shipping a Handgun and she smiled, looked at the package and said "No problem". Scanned it, printed out my receipt, smiled and said "Is there anything else I can help you with?". I should have complained but by this time it was 5:00 and I was ready to head to the house so I said no. Anyway, I sent my PPK off on 03/26 so I'll post when it arrives to give everyone an idea of the time it took. My advice to everyone else is to call the number above and either schedule a pick-up or be sure the place you are going to drop off your pistol knows what the hell is going on. :P

Edited by DavidD
  • 2 months later...

Update:

I called Smith and Wesson yesterday to find out the status of my PPK. Spoke with a really nice Customer Service Representative who told me they were waiting on springs. She could not offer my any estimate on how much longer it would be. I sent it off 12 weeks ago today.....:D

Guest PerazziTM1

Thanks for the update, they've "had" mine for 12 weeks TODAY. I've been thinking about how to get the status but hadn't had to the time to call, so you've saved me that hold time.

Be safe and shoot well,

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PerazziTM1
Wow, that sucks bad. It doesn't seem like they thought through the logistics of this recall very well.

(And many more days later)..... I was thinking the same thing, I would have thought they would have seen this coming and have springs ready. Well maybe they will be able to take care of some of the other things I ask them to do.

Perazzi

• 2 weeks later...
I bought one from the ASP in Nashville and AFTER the sale was complete and i as i was walking out the door with it in my hand...he told me about the recall. Will not buy from them again.

That's almost unbelievabable, lol. I wouldnt buy from them either if thats the way they operate. I get great customer service from Philip at Goodlettsville Gun Shop, and Guns & Leather is pretty good too, when they aint so busy, lol.

Edited by barewoolf

Wow! Way to go S&W! I sent my S&W Model 22A. off to S&W last week for the recall and it came back today. One week turnaround! A form enclosed with it says slide and barrel replaced to meet S&W standards. Yup, the serial number matches, it's mine. I feel special after reading some of the other posts on here. I'm nothing but impressed.

Wow! Way to go S&W! I sent my S&W Model 22A. off to S&W last week for the recall and it came back today. One week turnaround! A form enclosed with it says slide and barrel replaced to meet S&W standards. Yup, the serial number matches, it's mine. I feel special after reading some of the other posts on here. I'm nothing but impressed.

In all fairness, yours is actually a Smith & Wesson; the others aren’t.

They didn’t have to wait on parts from Walther for yours.

:D

In all fairness, yours is actually a Smith & Wesson; the others aren’t.

They didn’t have to wait on parts from Walther for yours.

:D

Not that I'm not happy with the service I received but it does seem like they should have been able to anticipate an approximate number of Walthers and had parts on hand. Good explanation though.

I just received my PPK back from Smith & Wesson. Well, actually the enclosed letter says Smith & Wesson by Houlton Repair #5 whatever that is. It took exactly 17 weeks, very disappointing...... :D

My previous experience with Smith and Wesson was similar to what Motasyco stated but is was also for a Walther. A couple of years ago my P22 developed a problem where it would not fire in DA mode. You had to cock the hammer. Smith and Wesson replaced the hammer free of charge. I sent it off on a Thursday and received it the following Tuesday.

Well, actually the enclosed letter says Smith & Wesson by Houlton Repair #5 whatever that is.

Houlton, Maine is where S&W made some stuff like handcuffs, etc. They put the Walther stuff there. I think they may even make some PPK’s there.

Guest PerazziTM1

UPDATE: Mine came back yesterday (23Jul). I had asked that they install new grips because mine were cracked and to also "clean up" a couple of rought places and bill me or contact me about charges if they exceeded $x.xx. They installed new grips NC, polished the feed ramp and test fired (which I didn't request), but didn't do much if anything about the "rough" places.

Anyway, glad to have it back.

Perazzi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PerazziTM1

Darn... They could have kept mine another week for a hat and two extra mags, GOD CATCH.

I did get to take mine out and shoot it for the first time.... I LIKE IT !!

Functioned perfectly.. I think it's a keeper... If I can keep it from the wife :tough:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sgt. Joe

I bought mine NIB from a Friend back in Mar. with full knowledge of the recall....It has about 500 rounds thru it now and I can not duplicate the problems they described.

I will send it in anyway but not until the backlog and response time changes. It is also a stainless version and I have read on some other forums of guns coming back all scratched and dinged up. I will not accept such treatment of mine.

They will be getting a nice long letter when I do send mine in. I have had the mailing label for months and dont even know if it will still be any good. I guess I will find out when the time comes. And as of right now the word is they dont have all the parts to fix all of them. I am also pretty sure my label says Houlton ME and that is the folks I spoke with back a few months ago.

As I said it has worked flawlessly at the range but then I read that the de-cocking device problem develops over time?...I have tried it everytime I have gone without an AD.?.....So far....

I love it and will hate to send it off but I will when the timing and return reports get better.