ARs in 5.7 x 28?

Guest slim

Seems lately these have shown up all over, either as complete rifles or uppers. Even S&W has a comlete rifle out for $1500. no sights and all the uppers of which the cheapest i have seen was $700. also no sights, a good set of BUIS is easily $400.-$600.

Does anybody have any exp. with either of these or any thoughts on this?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith and Wesson doesn't offer a factory rifle in 5.7x28, so you must have seen an AR57 upper that had been mated to a S&W lower.

We have sold around a dozen of these, and havent received any negative feedback.

We have at about 6 of these in stock, along with tons of 50rd. magazines if you are interested.

*I will go on record and tell you that I personally think they are goofy and even MORE expensive to operate than a standard 5.56mm AR, which makes no sense to me...but to each his own :censored:

flattop57a.jpg

Guest Astra900

5,7 is goofy. I wouldn't enjoy being shot with it mind you, but it does seem to be a paltry little thing. The AR in 5.56 does it's job well enough as it was meant to be.

I can't imagine any benefit the 5,7 could possibly have, the cost compared to the 5,56 is ridiculous.

Guest Linoge

Still, the ingenuity of this particular design is somewhat impressive... Using already-available magazines, with the spent casings ejecting through the magazine well? That either took copious amounts of drugs to come up with, or some serious imagination.

If I could actually afford the ammunition (and had not already sunk megabucks into 5.56 ammunition and magazines), I would have one just for the kicks of it. As it is, though, it is pretty much an interesting curiosity.

Still, the ingenuity of this particular design is somewhat impressive... Using already-available magazines, with the spent casings ejecting through the magazine well? That either took copious amounts of drugs to come up with, or some serious imagination.

If I could actually afford the ammunition (and had not already sunk megabucks into 5.56 ammunition and magazines), I would have one just for the kicks of it. As it is, though, it is pretty much an interesting curiosity.

I agree, it's a very slick design, but considering what the cartridges role is, I would NEVER choose it in an AR platform over an SBR'd PS90

That’s only .0055†bigger; really not worth mentioning. I’m not really familiar with this round but isn’t its claim to fame the ability to defeat body armor?

with the correct AP-rated ammo which is virtually unavailable to civilians

they also make a pistol chambered in this round that has 20-round magazines, and the PS-90 carbine has 100-round magazines i believe

The ps-90 has a 50 round mag, the pistol has a 20 but a extension to 30 is available, the AP SS190 ammo is available and can be legally owned, but is like $10. a cartridge.

As far as converting an ar mag to catch empties, i guess that could be done but you would want a 30 round AR mag and simply pull out the spring and follower but at some point maybe 30 rounds it could cause the upper to jam!

I do agree i dont think this is practical for an AR, but it seems to be very popular!

Guest Linoge
Kind of a silly question, but since it ejects down the magwell, could a modified AR mag be used as a brasscatcher?

From what I understand from reading about this upper, yes.

It requires dremeling down the feedlips of the magazine, removing the follower and spring, and can only hold about 20 rounds reliably, but yes.

I have one of these. I really wanted a PS90 but should have bought one when they were $1000-$1200 used since it seems like they are selling for $1700+ now days. I decided that this would be a fun one to have.

It is a really solid, reliable upper that allows you to carry 50 rounds of ammo in a very compact package. The cost of shooting is not much more and less in some cases. I am paying about .44 cents a round and sometimes less when bass pro shops has it on sale. Also it has a pretty low recoil.

I built my own brass catcher out of an old magazine (had to cut the top off with a cut off wheel). I dont reload 5.7 at this time and I am not sure if it is practical. There is some sort of coating on the brass that the last time I looked was not reproducable in the aftermarket.

A review and some pictures at the link below:

http://22tactical.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=317