Anyone shot at the Stones River Rifle range??

Guest johnmattwill

Guest johnmattwill

Has anyone ever been to the Stones River Rifle range?? Want to take my AR there to shoot.......

Nice place? Good rangemasters? Opinions?

Thanks..........

(If this question is in the wrong area, please move it , thanks)

Edited by johnmattwill
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good place. Cheap, I've never had a crowd problem, range masters are genrally pretty good. I have heard of some RM that are jerks, but personally the times I've been I haven't seen anything that would turn me off.

I shoot there all the time. You will get mixed reviews here. I live about 15 minutes

from there and have never had any issues. The range guys are usually an older group

of guys. I just give them my Drill Sergeant look and get left alone.

Guest mustangdave

Good range....been going off and on for about 3 years...minor draw back...no place to shoot the shotgun...need to go out there and fire my new MINI 14 and the wifes Henry repeater

Guest JHatmaker

Great outdoor range, but just like everyone else has said, follow the rules. They are strict, but that's a good thing. My bud got a little attitude from a ranger b/c he took his weapon to the bench without putting it in it's case. But for $5.50 for two hours, you can't beat it.

Been there many times...sighting in rifles, plinking 22's (with my 10 yr old and 15 yr old), firing handguns...never a bad experience. Check out their website...they follow the rules strictly. Eye protection, ear protection are must haves and they have some you can "rent" if you forget..all weapons must be unloaded and action open for inspection upon entering...remember, if you have your HCP, its a no-no to attempt to carry on premises! No tape for the targets...you must use tacks, which they have plenty of....have fun!

From their site...it is a TWRA range.. sorry for the format...tried to edit but it wouldn't take..

Stones River Range Rules

RULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE!!!

It shall be the duty and responsibility of each shooter to know the

range rules and regulations and to abide by them. Failure to adhere

to these and other posted rules can be cased for removal from the

range and forfeiture of all fees.

1. IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY DISCHARGE YOUR FIREARM, YOU WILL BE IMMEDIATELY REMOVED FROM THE RANGE BY THE RANGE MANAGER. ANY OTHER ACT DEEMED DANGEROUS OR RECKLESS BY THE RANGE MANAGER IS CAUSE FOR REMOVAL FROM THE RANGE. THE RANGE MANAGER HAS THE AUTHORITY TO REMOVE ANYONE FROM THE RANGE AT ANY TIME FOR ANY ACT DEEMED UNDESIRABLE AT STONE RIVER HUNTER EDUCATION CENTER.

2. ALL firearms must be unloaded and in a case. No magazine allowed in the firearm. Magazines can be loaded as long as they are not in the firearm.

3. No concealed firearms allowed. This applies to EVERYONE, including firearm carry permit holders.

4. Always point the muzzle of the firearm in a safe direction (up or downrange).

5. Always keep your FINGER OUTSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD until aiming down range ready to shoot.

6. Always keep the firearm UNLOADED until ready to shoot.

7. Load firearms only at the firing point when the command is given to load. (Except muzzle loaders.)

8. Shooters will uncase and case FIREARMS on the firing line when the range is hot. IF THE FIREARM IS MOVED OFF THE FIRING LINE, THE FIREARM WILL BE UNLOADED; THE ACTION OPEN AND MAGAZINE OUT.

9. All class III (fully automatic, silenced, etc.) firearms must be declared upon entering the inspection station and the range. All BATF paperwork must

accompany each applicable firearm and must be presented to the RSO in the inspection station.

10. NO pistol grip shotguns allowed. Shotguns shooting slugs may be fired. Shotguns with tight choke tubes shooting heavy shot loads may be patterned. No small shot (7-9 shot) allowed.

11. RSO assigns all shooting points. Once a shooting point is assigned you cannot move to another without authorization from the RSO.

12. Always keep the target frame on your assigned lane number. You can move it

closer or farther, but never sideways. No shooting across lanes.

13. All targets must fit inside the provided target frame. NO silhouette targets are allowed.

14. No self adhesive targets may be place directly onto the frame backing. Place stickers on paper targets only and then affix the paper target to the backing with the push pins.

15. NO staple guns allowed. (Use push pins that are provided by the range)

16. After finished shooting and the range is declared COLD and told to proceed down range by the RSO, the shooter must retrieve their target and pick up all fired casings in front and behind the firing point; report to the RSO with range ticket to mark down the number of rounds fired and turn in ticket to RSO before you leave the range.

17. All casings put in the yellow buckets become property of the Stones River Range Safety Officers Association.

18. Muzzle loaders must LOAD BEHIND the firing line and CAPPED on the firing point. All caps/primers will be maintained in separate locations from the powder at ALL times. NO EXCEPTIONS!

19. No spectators allowed on the firing point when line is hot. (Parents/guardians/coaches not included)

20. An adult, 18 years of age or older, must directly supervise all juvenile shooters under the age of 10 years. This means the adult must be INSIDE the caged station area with the shooter and must remain so as to be able to take immediate control of the firearm if the need arises. All juveniles between the ages of 10 - 16 must share a shooting station, or have side-by-side shooting stations with the supervising adult. Any non-shooting juveniles must sit on the bench as near as possible to the parent or guardian.

UNATTENDED CHILDREN ANYWHERE ON THE RANGE WILL

SUBJECT THE PARENT/GUARDIAN TO IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL

FROM THE RANGE AND THE FORFEITURE OF ALL FEES. THE

RSO’S AND THE TWRA STAFF ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR

UNATTENDED NON-SHOOTING JUVENILES.

21. No tracers or incendiary type ammunition allowed.

22. Eye and ear protection is MANDATORY. EVERY PERSON, shooters, nonshooters, volunteers, etc. after passing through the inspection station will wear BOTH eye and ear protection at all times.

23. No alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs allowed on range or Stones River Hunter Education Center property. Us of any such drug or alcohol including prescription medications that would cause the potential customer to be considered “under the influence” prior to coming to the range is prohibited as well.

24. No tobacco products, drinks or food allowed on the range. The incidence of lead ingestion or inhalation increases significantly by doing such.

25. If you leave the range for any reason (smoke, beverages, bathroom, etc) other than to checkout, you well need to notify the RSO prior to leaving the range.

26. Women wearing low cut blouses, men and women wearing open toed or slip on shoes are subject being burned by hot brass. If you are wearing this type of clothing be aware of this problem and be prepared to control your firearm in case this situation arises.

27. Shooters are authorized to issue two (2) range commands: (a) CEASE FIRING: when a dangerous situation arises, such as seeing someone down range when the line is called hot. And (;) MISFIRE: common with muzzle loaders.

28. COMMENCE FIRING: (Line is HOT) No one allowed in front of shooting point. This is when shooters can touch their firearms, move the firearms from the shooting point to behind the firing line as long as the firearm is unloaded and on safe, action locked open, magazine removed, and the muzzle pointed in a safe direction (usually UP).

29. CEASE FIRING: (Line is Cold) Stop firing immediately, put the firearm on safe, unload the firearm, lock the action open and wait for instruction.

DO NOT TOUCH OR HANDLE AND FIREARM AT THIS TIME.

30. Be considerate of others and above all - - - - - - KEEP IT SAFE

Edited by tbuford
Guest johnmattwill

Thanks all for the replies, Im gonna try to take a Friday and get over there to shoot soon......

Thanks TBuford, your posting of the rules helped me out a bunch..... :drama:

Guest JHatmaker

Word to the wise, if you go on a Saturday or Sunday, get there right when it opens (especially Sundays) or you will be waiting. At least from my experience when the weather's nice. Sat @ 10am, and Sun @ 1pm

Have fun!

Guest JHatmaker
I usually hit the place around 2-3PM...no lines...plenty of lanes

The Sunday before last I got there at 1 and in 10 mins both the pistol and rifle range were full. When we walked out at 2:15ish, there were like 50+ people waiting just to get in line.

So I guess it's hit and miss. When I'd go during the cold months, there was never a wait, but I imagine with the weather changing it'll get more crowded. Unless that day was just an anomaly.

Guest macmonkey

I'm there every weekend. It's really nice and safe. MOST of the RO's are great but a few turds on deck. The rifle range is set to 50 / 75 / 100 / 200 yds.

As previously noted it gets crowded quickly and they have a waiting list (which you don't want to get stuck on). Probably won't be too bad this weekend since there is a gun show.

A mixed bag of shooters from young women (some hotties) to good ole' boys. I've received a lot of great help from most of the shooters.

If you plan on shooting 200 you will need to test by putting 5 rounds (only) in 3" at 100yds. They won't let you go any further unless you test into their 200yd list.

Relays are approx 15min with 5min target changes. I like going late in the day when they pretty much let you just take the last 20-25 minutes to finish out the day.

Also - make sure if you are policing your own brass to have a baggie stuffed in your bucket. I frequently get in arguments because each RO has their own protocol for how you are to police the brass. Their excuse (respectfully) is that "We don't get paid - rather we get paid in brass so once it's in the bucket it's ours".

Guest bang-flash

I went one time last year on a nice weekend and it was quite busy. They were holding a class of sorts on the pistol range and there were lots of gawkers.

I like that is "safer" compared to say Cheatham, but I also like the freedom to do other things when I go to a range. Because of this I usually go to Cheatham or Natchez trace so I can do my own thing.

Guest johnmattwill

I made Stones river this past Friday... Got there right at 10am, probably with 1/2 dozen others...... by noon the rifle range was getting pretty full. I put 200 rounds thru my new AR 15, talk about fun!!!!!!!!!! :D All zombies watch out!!!!!!!! I am prepared!!!!!!!!!!

Was very pleased with this facility..... The RSO's were really nice, although very strick... I was reminded a couple times not to let my finger in the trigger guard of my DPMS until ready to fire.... They were also very helpful, with suggestions for better shooting and help with sighting in a scope.

Altogether , a great facility, especially for $5.50 for 2 hours..... I'll be back there the next chance I get!!!!