Bringing home the Bacon!

Guest betobeto

What he said.

Get out of corporate and into Fine Dining as quick as you can. Or bartending for that matter in a non-corporate joint. Sticking it out in Red Lobster is a waste of time other that the bare minimum time required to move up to a better job. I started out at Friday's myself, moved up into bartending, and then out to make damn good money - enough to easily put myself through school.

And if you are declaring 15% to the gov't you are a fool, unless your corporate employer is making you do that. The most you need to declare is either 10%, or your credit card tips, whichever is more.

+1

As far as my tipping habits. I start out at 15%. If you do the bare minimum, but are pleasant you get 15%. This goes up based on several factors. How busy you are, what time of day, size of my group, etc.

I have left a 10 dollar tip on a 25 dollar meal before just simply because my waitress was SWAMPED with a huge group in our section and she still managed to always make sure my drink was full and ask how I was.

I am also the type of person who will tell a manager if someone does a GOOD job. To many people complain about bad service, but they never commend a person who does a good job.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tip 20% unless the service was outstanding, and then I tip accordingly.

I eat out in Cleveland all the time (Kelly's family lives there) and I would suggest going somewhere like the Bald Headed Bistro if you want a less white-trash clientele and tip structure.

Thats not bad if your bill never goes over $30. Otherwise not so good.

I don't expect $5 tip on a $10 tab but its nice to get them. Its really suck though to get $5 on $50.

Well,my bill is usually around 20-25 bucks or so.

15 for the entree at Hooters,or Chilli's,and two beers,or a tea is all I ever get.

I also tip the same for a 12 dollar hair cut,simply because No one ever forgets me,and I dont want a gap in the back!

Sonic girls,naa....I consider that fast food with no refills

Guest db99wj
Well,my bill is usually around 20-25 bucks or so.

15 for the entree at Hooters,or Chilli's,and two beers,or a tea is all I ever get.

I also tip the same for a 12 dollar hair cut,simply because No one ever forgets me,and I dont want a gap in the back!

Sonic girls,naa....I consider that fast food with no refills

Exactly, no refills, WTF. Oh, and they will only give you 2 packets of ketchup...I mean, that is enough for about 12 french fry's or about 8 tater tots....mmmmmm tater tots......:screwy:

I will have to say that with 3 kids and not a lot of money, when we eat out we eat as cheaply as possible. We get water and no desserts and a lot of times servers will assume I won't tip well because I'm "cheap" on the initial bill. Really aggravates me, especially since my family is in the business. Those who teat us like everyone else I make up for in the tip. sometimes I will tip well even if they don't treat us right, just to hopefully teach them something about service. That and with kids there can sometimes be more to clean up.

Guest db99wj
I will have to say that with 3 kids and not a lot of money, when we eat out we eat as cheaply as possible. We get water and no desserts and a lot of times servers will assume I won't tip well because I'm "cheap" on the initial bill. Really aggravates me, especially since my family is in the business. Those who teat us like everyone else I make up for in the tip. sometimes I will tip well even if they don't treat us right, just to hopefully teach them something about service. That and with kids there can {sometimes} ALWAYS be more to clean up.

Fixed your quote to relate to me! ALWAYS. I was sitting at McAllisters with my family a week or so ago, minding my own business eating my grilled chicken Cesar salad, when it started raining......ham. My 16 month old likes to throw stuff. I had ham on my head, ham in my salad, ham in my lap.....dang sound like Dr. Suess!

Guest db99wj
You talking about the Quebequois? Don't get me started on them...they are a huge pain in the ass for all involved. I'd spit in their food if I served them :D

...eh!

:screwy::D

Guest Rick O'Shay
You talking about the Quebequois? Don't get me started on them...they are a huge pain in the ass for all involved. I'd spit in their food if I served them :)

Without going into any kind on detail, when a member of the restaurant establishment mentions "Canadians" in his/her section, they DO NOT mean any kind of nationality, they are referring to an ethnic group that is notorious for demanding service and little, if any, tip. There is a lot of truth to this stereotype I will attest, however the stereotype disappears within certain socio-economic groups, and actually goes the other direction into highly sought after tables.

I speak from experience.

Guest betobeto

Thanks for all the input. I believe ignorance can play a role in bad tips, hence this post. Although servers can be their own reason for doing bad.

I've have no desire to ever get another serving job out side of Red lobster (getting to be king of the hill takes too long). When I'm done there it will be over like a bad drug. Serving is addicting, because of the money you can make, and its hard to break away.

Guest Rick O'Shay
Thanks for all the input. I believe ignorance can play a role in bad tips, hence this post. Although servers can be their own reason for doing bad.

I've have no desire to ever get another serving job out side of Red lobster (getting to be king of the hill takes too long). When I'm done there it will be over like a bad drug. Serving is addicting, because of the money you can make, and its hard to break away.

Dude, get out of corporate. Your income, job satisfaction, clientele, and co-workers will be much better quality, I promise you. King of the Hill might be nice, but more money is always better, not to mention your 8 years of corporate experience will do you well in fine-dining once you learn the ropes. After about six months in my first fine-dining job I was made Lead Server because of age and experience. In addition to making the schedule and having the hot little waitresses all kissing up to me, I was making $6 an hour on top of tips, and that was several years ago.

All of that aside, when you work in an establishment where you make more money per shift, you can work less if you want to and go to school. Additionally, since you are a server, your "on-paper" income sucks so it is easy to get student loans. Doing that very thing I put myself through the Mechanical Engineering program at U of M, and am doing right nicely for myself now. I have never been happier. The work is interesting, pays well, and being an "Engineer" sounds a whole lot better to the ladies than "Server". :)

The hardest part is getting started, after that everything comes in time. All you gotta do is do it.

Don't be like I was: After I got out of the Navy years ago I drifted into the restaurant business, ended up making good money, and had a Hell of time doing it - until I woke up one day and I was 36 years old, and realized I had wasted the most precious commodity we are given, time.

Edited by Rick O'Shay
Guest betobeto
Dude, get out of corporate. Your income, job satisfaction, clientele, and co-workers will be much better quality, I promise you. King of the Hill might be nice, but more money is always better, not to mention your 8 years of corporate experience will do you well in fine-dining once you learn the ropes. After about six months in my first fine-dining job I was made Lead Server because of age and experience. In addition to making the schedule and having the hot little waitresses all kissing up to me, I was making $6 an hour on top of tips, and that was several years ago.

All of that aside, when you work in an establishment where you make more money per shift, you can work less if you want to and go to school. Additionally, since you are a server, your "on-paper" income sucks so it is easy to get student loans. Doing that very thing I put myself through the Mechanical Engineering program at U of M, and am doing right nicely for myself now. I have never been happier. The work is interesting, pays well, and being an "Engineer" sounds a whole lot better to the ladies than "Server". :stick:

The hardest part is getting started, after that everything comes in time. All you gotta do is do it.

Don't be like I was: After I got out of the Navy years ago I drifted into the restaurant business, ended up making good money, and had a Hell of time doing it - until I woke up one day and I was 36 years old, and realized I had wasted the most precious commodity we are given, time.

This Post wasn't about how bad it is working at "red lobster". It was just a way for me to vent about what servers go though no matter what place they work. Considering the economy I feel great having employment. Corporate jobs do suck but I've got three weeks paid vacation a set schedule and I make just as much money as people that work in fine dining. I've got server friends that work all over chattanooga. Most likely I'll be out of serving by next year this time and will be going into a real profession so jumping ship now makes no sense. Thanks for the advice though.

• 2 years later...
Guest brandon_pitt
I think he was referring to another type of Canadian...

I too thought he was talking about the type of Canadians that, lets say, aren't from Canada at all. In the restaurant industry people talk about stereotypes and what not. I'm a restaurant manager, for now, the "Canadian" stereotype usually holds true.

....I used to leave between 10 to 15% until I found out that servers are working for 2.13 an hr. I cold not believe that....

Well, actually, way law reads, employees have to make at least minimum wage with the 2.13 + tips, or the employer has to make up the diff to equal minimum wage.

- OS

I remember delivering for Pizza Hut earlier this year in the snow. I pulled up to an apartment complex off Premier. When I got out of my truck with the food, a woman on her balcony siad "You must hate your job right now." I said "no, I pretty much always hate my job". I've been telling myself I need to get out of work that depends on tips, especially in the Charlotte Pike area of Nashville. I'm thinking of trying the pizza places around town soon to see if I can snatch a kitchen/CSR job from a high school kid about to leave and go to college. I get stiffed a lot more often in this area then I did in Bellevue when I was with Domino's, but I don't get as mad about it. It really pisses me off when people in rich neighborhoods don't tip.