Bringing home the Bacon!

Guest betobeto

Guest betobeto

I've got to vent. For 8 years I've worked at the same place. Its had its ups and downs. The people I work for come and go and usually are not the same from day to day. Pay some days is excellent while others it just plain sucks. I work odd hours in a set schedule but am never sure if I'll work 25 hours or 35 hours a week. Some days I may be held over at work by just one person looking at the wall and other days my employers will understand that my shift ends with them. There are days the people I'm working for feel I deserve a bonus on my hard work and pay me more than I deserve, and other days they either forget to pay me for my services or just don't care if I have worked for them for free. Some days my employers will bring their kids and let them raise holy hell and destroy my work station with crayons crackers and what ever ells they get their hands on. Some times the employers kids are perfect and well mannered and respectful. I never know what a day will bring at work. The government Taxes me the same either way. And my job has not seen a raise in 25 years. My hourly pay is $2.13. What's my Job? Its serving you at Red lobster.

I've been a server at red lobster since I was in college 8 years ago. I decided to stay there after my wife had our first child. She had good benefits and excellent pay at her job, and still does. I take care of my kids so we don't have to put them in daycare. Since my wife's and my family both live far away (Maine and Arizona) neither place we want to raise our kids, this was our only logical choice.

Its "My job" even with all its ups and downs. I give my guests excellent service. I never show emotion at work other than being happy because it makes me more money. People like a happy server and want to be made to feel special when out to eat. I'm a christian but Sunday is the worst day to work! People get out of Church and rush in being mean and hate full. They hand out tracks about hell with a couple of dollars for a tip inside for a $75 dollar check. They ask for a big bowl of lemons so they can make free lemonade, when we have lemonade on the menu. You might as well be a thief in most servers minds if you do this. Water is free lemons are not nor are the splenda packs. 10% is what God asks for A server should be compensated 18%-20% for a good job. If they do a bad job let them know and tip or don't tip according to the job done. No matter what you tip the government taxes us on a minimum of 15% of our sales. So when you tip only 10% because its good enough for God, its about as good as stealing.

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way. I am very thankful for all the good tips I receive every day I work. I enjoy meeting new people, and getting repeat customers that ask for me. This was just a way for me to vent which I never do at work.

Most people haven't a clue what a good server must do to make people happy. We laugh at stupid jokes we keep your kids happy we deal with every kind of personality and adjust our selves to suit your needs. We entertain and swallow our pride and take a bad tip with a smile as not to ruin our mood.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Edited by betobeto
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never worked as a tipped employee so I can't say I know where you are coming from, however as the employer (sometimes), I can tell that if you do a great job you deserve 20% or maybe even more. even a bad server gets something, if you don't tip a bad server then they may think "well he was just cheap" but if you leave them a "substandard" tip then maybe they will think about their service and take steps to improve.

I used to leave between 10 to 15% until I found out that servers are working for 2.13 an hr. I cold not believe that.

Also something else to think about, if you tip your server well, then when you return, they will remember you and in all cases I have had try and give even better service.

Guest db99wj

My basis is 20%. Outstanding service gets more, less than average gets less, usually 15%. Horrible service gets about 10%.

Definitely under appreciated industry.

Guest bkelm18

I know where you're coming from. I used to be a waiter in a german restaurant. You have to portray the happiest person on earth even if the people you are serving could care less if you got hit by a bus or die of the bubonic plague after they get their food. I've been tipped nothing, I've been tipped 1 cent. You could always tell if the person you served was a waiter at some point because they were always real nice to you and gave a big tip. Thats how I am at least. I start with a 20% tip and work down from there depending on service. Comes with the territory as they say.

Guest betobeto
Also something else to think about, if you tip your server well, then when you return, they will remember you and in all cases I have had try and give even better service.

Servers do remember good and bad tippers. Service will sometimes lack because of this reason or be great. Years ago I had a family that always asked for me. They always gave me $60 off the bat then more at the end, but I had to be right there for anything they needed. They where one of the most demanding tables I have ever had but I didn't care because they paid for being demanding.

Many bad tippers will leave what is called a verbal tip. Like "you did a great job! thanks" and follow up with $2.00

Guest KWW67

I have always tried to tip good but my wife is another story. I did not know the gov't taxed you at 15% regrdless. Thanks for your story and I will pass it on to others.

Guest EasilyObsessed

I know where you are coming from. I worked in restaurants (server, cook, expo and bartender) all through college in corporate restaurants, "bars", and fine dining. That said...get out of the serving gig as soon as you can and get into bartending if that is an option. Most nights serving I would be lucky to clear $100. Bartending I would be disappointed if I didn't clear $250. On the other hand, bartending hours are generally worse than serving hours.

Not sure what your options are in Cleveland, but if you can find a finer dinning restaurant, you may substantially increase your job satisfaction if you stick with serving. Not only will you make more per table, the customers are also generally less demanding, the kitchen will less frequently mess up food, and selling $50+ bottles of wine or other high priced liquor really helps bring in big tips. People are also much more likely to get a dessert and appetizer at nicer restaurants because they are either really rich or out celebrating and are willing to splurge. It is really easy to clear $1k in sales in a night, of course you will end up tipping more of that out, but it still ends up much better than corporate.

Good luck!

Guest betobeto
I know where you are coming from. I worked in restaurants (server, cook, expo and bartender) all through college in corporate restaurants, "bars", and fine dining. That said...get out of the serving gig as soon as you can and get into bartending if that is an option. Most nights serving I would be lucky to clear $100. Bartending I would be disappointed if I didn't clear $250. On the other hand, bartending hours are generally worse than serving hours.

Not sure what your options are in Cleveland, but if you can find a finer dinning restaurant, you may substantially increase your job satisfaction if you stick with serving. Not only will you make more per table, the customers are also generally less demanding, the kitchen will less frequently mess up food, and selling $50+ bottles of wine or other high priced liquor really helps bring in big tips. People are also much more likely to get a dessert and appetizer at nicer restaurants because they are either really rich or out celebrating and are willing to splurge. It is really easy to clear $1k in sales in a night, of course you will end up tipping more of that out, but it still ends up much better than corporate.

Good luck!

I've done it all as well. I personally don't like working bars. Im a family guy now and just don't have a use for bartending. I'm a very lucky server. Im alowed to take as many tables at a time as I want because My guests are always happy and the managers can cut labor. So my sales usually run about $700-$1000 per 4 hour shift. So all in all I do good at work.

Guest canynracer

I tip 20% always...if the service sucks, I let the waiter/waitress know it sucked, but they still get 20%....I have my bad days at work, it would REALLY suck if my employer cut my pay for it.

but my employer DOES let me know when I am having "one of those days"

I do the same for the server.

Guest Angel 24/7

I feel you. I hate working Sundays. I don't get tips but, I do understand the church people. They want a whopper cut in 4th & 4 cups of free water. They fill our dining room & kill our dine in business. Complain the whole time. I give a 20% tip when Our family goes out to eat.

I've got to vent. For 8 years I've worked at the same place. Its had its ups and downs. The people I work for come and go and usually are not the same from day to day. Pay some days is excellent while others it just plain sucks. I work odd hours in a set schedule but am never sure if I'll work 25 hours or 35 hours a week. Some days I may be held over at work by just one person looking at the wall and other days my employers will understand that my shift ends with them. There are days the people I'm working for feel I deserve a bonus on my hard work and pay me more than I deserve, and other days they either forget to pay me for my services or just don't care if I have worked for them for free. Some days my employers will bring their kids and let them raise holy hell and destroy my work station with crayons crackers and what ever ells they get their hands on. Some times the employers kids are perfect and well mannered and respectful. I never know what a day will bring at work. The government Taxes me the same either way. And my job has not seen a raise in 25 years. My hourly pay is $2.13. What's my Job? Its serving you at Red lobster.

I've been a server at red lobster since I was in college 8 years ago. I decided to stay there after my wife had our first child. She had good benefits and excellent pay at her job, and still does. I take care of my kids so we don't have to put them in daycare. Since my wife's and my family both live far away (Maine and Arizona) neither place we want to raise our kids, this was our only logical choice.

Its "My job" even with all its ups and downs. I give my guests excellent service. I never show emotion at work other than being happy because it makes me more money. People like a happy server and want to be made to feel special when out to eat. I'm a christian but Sunday is the worst day to work! People get out of Church and rush in being mean and hate full. They hand out tracks about hell with a couple of dollars for a tip inside for a $75 dollar check. They ask for a big bowl of lemons so they can make free lemonade, when we have lemonade on the menu. You might as well be a thief in most servers minds if you do this. Water is free lemons are not nor are the splenda packs. 10% is what God asks for A server should be compensated 18%-20% for a good job. If they do a bad job let them know and tip or don't tip according to the job done. No matter what you tip the government taxes us on a minimum of 15% of our sales. So when you tip only 10% because its good enough for God, its about as good as stealing.

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way. I am very thankful for all the good tips I receive every day I work. I enjoy meeting new people, and getting repeat customers that ask for me. This was just a way for me to vent which I never do at work.

Most people haven't a clue what a good server must do to make people happy. We laugh at stupid jokes we keep your kids happy we deal with every kind of personality and adjust our selves to suit your needs. We entertain and swallow our pride and take a bad tip with a smile as not to ruin our mood.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

I have a great amount of respect for your job, I waited tables for over 6 years at places such as Sheraton Music city, and I know how it can be, My wife and I leave at minimum 20% tips, if warranted sometimes more, believe me when I say that I understand, we live in the Mount Juliet area and we frequent Red Lobster, if we ever run into you, you will know as we reward as we should for excellent service, you have my respect to say the least :D

Edited by willis68
Guest c.a.s.

I see I'm not the onl one who has witnessed the "Church Phenomenon" on lunch time during Sunday. I haven't been cussed or yelled at as bad by ANY OTHER customer than some that come in from church.

I tip generously depending on service. We got EXCELLENT service at a korean restaurant for my birthday, and they happily dealt with all our problems and anything else we needed. We had a large party, and everyone pitched in on tips. They ended up with a little bit short of $100 in tips.

Guest GhostHunter

I generally tip 20% if the service is good. By good service, I mean not letting my tea glass or my coffee cup get empty, a warm cheerful smile, and checking on me often to see if I need or want anything. Anything less than good service gets significantly less, but I always leave a tip.

Guest betobeto
I hear you, betobeto. I've been there, done that.

Nothing like a rowdy crowd of canadians who's party is one member short of an auto-grat to ruin your night :)

LOL, you have been there, and done it:D Love the canadians........

Betobeto,

I feel for ya man. I used to be a poor to fair tipper. That was until I got a second job delivering pizza. A little different situation from yours but not a lot. I worked hard to get people their food to them hot and fresh.

Nothing is more frustrating than delivering someone $40 worth of pizza and not getting a tip. Or delivering pizza to section 8 housing and seeing the peoples big screen tv and not getting a tip. Or delivering in the pouring rain or snow and...well you get the picture.

I definitely tip a lot better now.

LOL, you have been there, and done it:D Love the canadians........

Yeah, we're a bunch of tightasses ;)

In fairness, tipping is not as big a part of Canadian culture as it is here. Servers in Canada earn at least minimum wage if not more, so they don't depend on tips like servers here do. After living in NY for a couple of years I learned the importance of tips so I tip a minimum of 20% now.

My family is in the fine dining business and I have worked everything from busing to hosting. It does change ones perspective when you see the other side. That being said, I don't think most people realize how servers are paid and think that tips are on top of a "living" wage. Not to defend poor tippers, as some are just jerks and it wouldn't make a difference, but I think most poor tipping is done in ignorance.

Guest m&pc9

I tip 20% unless the service stinks, then its about 10% and on a few rare occasions less. If 10% is not good enough then the server needs to do a better job, or find a different job.

Guest betobeto
I usually just tip a 5 across the board.diner to hair cuts.

If the service is bad,I leave pocket change just so they'll know I didn't forget

Thats not bad if your bill never goes over $30. Otherwise not so good.

I don't expect $5 tip on a $10 tab but its nice to get them. Its really suck though to get $5 on $50.

Guest pjblurton
Yeah, we're a bunch of tightasses ;)

In fairness, tipping is not as big a part of Canadian culture as it is here. Servers in Canada earn at least minimum wage if not more, so they don't depend on tips like servers here do. After living in NY for a couple of years I learned the importance of tips so I tip a minimum of 20% now.

I think he was referring to another type of Canadian...

Guest Rick O'Shay

Good luck!

What he said.

Get out of corporate and into Fine Dining as quick as you can. Or bartending for that matter in a non-corporate joint. Sticking it out in Red Lobster is a waste of time other that the bare minimum time required to move up to a better job. I started out at Friday's myself, moved up into bartending, and then out to make damn good money - enough to easily put myself through school.

And if you are declaring 15% to the gov't you are a fool, unless your corporate employer is making you do that. The most you need to declare is either 10%, or your credit card tips, whichever is more.