Glock 29 or Keltec PF9

Guest slim

For many yrs. my glock 27 has been my main carry weapon, but since i got a PF9 last yr. it now is my main carry gun, due to its light weight and easier concealability.

However i do sometimes worry that with the PF9 i really would not feel as comfortable in a shoot-out as i would with the glock!:rolleyes:

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RopeS

I would list your 'reasons' that you would not feel as comfortable with the Keltec, then some might be able to either agree or disagree with you. I have never shot either a Glock (how sad is that) or a Keltec.

But I would say, that 'shootouts' are even less common than having to use your carry piece. I know I know anything can happen...

I like the PF9 as a backup and pocket gun but prefer something a little "more" for primary carry. I currently carry a 19 and have had two PF9's in the past. I wouldn't and haven't felt uncomfortable with the PF9, but really like the peace of mind the 19 gives me as far as reliability, capacity, sights, etc. go.

Thats how i feel also, am in the rest. business in some bad areas and i sort of cant help but think of the PF9 along the lines of mainly a backup!

Thanks

for me, the PF9 works out better in times when i have to carry a subcompact than my G26 (same dimensions as a G29) ever did, since due to it's thickness, it really isn't much easier to conceal or carry than my usual Steyr M9-A1 or G19...

been thinking, at those times, if i didn't want to feel so "neutered", due to the PF9's lightness/slimness, maybe i should just get another one and carry two of 'em...

reliability/dependability-wise, i still haven't found the right answer on this one though...

Edited by CK1

Slim, Maybe your problem with your G27 can be solved by buying a better holster that makes your Glock feel lighter and conceal better. I carry a Glock 21 or 30 most of the time, but sometimes I carry a little J frame revolver if I need to be less conspicuous. I prefer the 45 auto, but 38 Spl is OK sometimes. To me, I feel it is a little underpowered. Some would argue. It's all in what you feel comfortable with. The 38 spl is a great backup just as I'm sure the Keltec would be.

ftncityfatboy, did you read my response to your thread about the dropping mag?http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=246551#post246551

yes, thanks for the info, i have sent email to kel-tec, will be calling today. most likely it will make the trek back to florida for a factory job. with it being so new, i don't know that i want to attempt that surgery on my own. thanks for post

Guest sling
The GLOCK weighs a full half-pound more than the PF9, and is quite a bit thicker.

compare.jpg

Thats what quality does. Makes things heavy and solid. ;)

Glock ftw.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Micromancer

I understand my outlook is a bit extreme in this regard, so please take this with a grain of salt.

Does the Pf9 suffer from the same problem as the other Kel-Tec model that randomly ejects the recoil spring out the front of the gun? Personal defense isn't something that should be half-assed in any form, you want the Glock as your primary.

More specifically, you want a G23 as your primary. Your G27 should be your backup as it can share magazines in a pinch from your G23.

I am all about using guns for fun. I also completely support purchasing gimmicks and guns that are generally unsafe, hell that's half the fun (Ask me about my WASR-10!). At no time should they be considered for personal defense. If you do not value your life enough to use something that can be almost guaranteed to assist in it's preservation, then don't carry. By using a gun that is more likely to fail, you exponentially tip the odds against your chances of survival. The odds are stacked against you as it is between reaction time and proficiency. Why make things even worse for yourself by choosing something that isn't absolutely reliable?

Edited by Micromancer
Clarity
Guest Micromancer
Never heard of any keltec ejecting a recoil-spring. The first PF-9s did have a lot of problems and basically were Junk!

http://www.gwamp.com/images/jeep/stuff/guns/keltec/k1.jpg - Linked to prevent image leeching.

From this thread: The Something Awful Forums

While it may not be atypical of Kel-Tec's performance, hearing a lot about worn recoil springs and then seeing things like this kind of turn me off when considering it for a carry piece. Again, I have no idea if the PF9 suffers from this issue - that was what I was asking in the first place.

Thanks, thats an old p-32, keltecs biggest problem is all the guns they release are proto-types and they improve as they go. The pf-9 had tons of major issues & problems in the 2 yrs. they been around, from recalls to being up-graded on a normal base, bought their newest version in april last yr. and still had the plastic mag. release and the old-style hammer-block, i upgraded both issues myself with free parts from keltec.

What's the commercial on Direct tv. about needing an upgrade?:hat:

Guest Micromancer
Thanks, thats an old p-32, keltecs biggest problem is all the guns they release are proto-types and they improve as they go. The pf-9 had tons of major issues & problems in the 2 yrs. they been around, from recalls to being up-graded on a normal base, bought their newest version in april last yr. and still had the plastic mag. release and the old-style hammer-block, i upgraded both issues myself with free parts from keltec.

What's the commercial on Direct tv. about needing an upgrade?:hat:

This is precicely why I try and discourage people from buying 1st run pistols for CCW. You want something that already has the bugs worked out of it before you can trust your life to it.

I wont lie, but when the p-32 first came out about 97 or so, i had just bought a new Ruger redhawk 454 and as i was leaving the p-32 caught my eye, and i also got it.

Went to the range and pulled the trigger and nothing happened, so i cycled slide a few times and trigger would reset sometimes, took it home and fixed that, but within 100 rounds the rails on the slide wore out, sent it in a yr. later when they had been upgraded and got the newer version.

The sad part is though and i dont care who made what, the first ones from

all companies in the last few yrs. are either recalled or have problems.

Just to name a few, SIG, FN,S&W, Arsenal,Ruger,etc.........:hat:

Guest twelvevoltman_69

I have both the PF-9 and G27. My daily carry is the G27. You didn't say, or I missed it on how you are carrying. I carry mostly IWB with a MTAC at 4:00. This is the best position for standing, sitting, and riding in a car. I got the PF-9 mostly as a summer gun for when I'll be wearing shorts that don't have belt loops. Clip it IWB and tie that drawstring tight!!!!

On my 27, i carry it in an inside the waist Galco deep cover, so you dont see the gun at all, just a clip on my belt. Or sometimes the 27 goes in a leg-holster.

The pf-9 goes in either a leg-holster as a back-up, but most of the time,

i have a belt clip on it and bought a cheap black Uncle-Mike inside the waist-band holster for about $10. it had a belt-clip, which i removed and simply put the pf9 into it and then use the belt-clip on the gun to put the clip on the outside of my underwear, stays in place and i dont have to worry about body moisture coming in touch with the gun, just now remembered i did have to use a piece from a second holster and attach 2 1/2 inch piece on to 1 side of the holster, since a part of the slide would still be touching my body.

Works great and is a lot more comfortable and less heavy the the glock!

Well, i always feel safer with the glock due to a .40 to a 9mm, but as well as the extra rounds in the glock and my laser-max inside the slide.

But the pf9 is so much lighter, have been considering a laser for it, but just dont know, however on both i have the finger-grip extension, just make sure your pf-9 is updated, since if it has the old mag release it will cause probs, and the new hammer-block solves a ton of probs, which mainly Glock users

have, since the pf-9 has a long trigger reset and after the first shot some folks did not let the trigger reset fully and pulled it again and nothing, so you have to rack the slide which isnt something you want do do if your life hangs in he balance.

You can check here for the latest updates or call the company, they will do it free including shipp. but might take a while!

KTOG Forum - Is my pf-9 updated?