Kel-Tec PF9 Magazine

I have a question to anyone willing to help. If I've posted in the wrong place or double posted, let me know and direct me accordingly. Today I went to a TWRA range close to the house. I shot about 25 round of BB FMJ 115 gr, typical WW stuff. Something of concern: After firing each round, the magazine dropped thus causing me to chamber the next round, well maybe not every round, but most. I paid attention to my firing so's to notice if my thumb was pressing the mag release since its on the left side of the pistol. Even with my thumb high/low, it still dropped. Any suggestions??? Only had one mag out of three there, so don't know if all three are that way or not. I would think it would not matter..

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nj.piney

the original mag catches were made of plastic , if you e mail them they will send you a metal mag release . information for changing the mag catch can be found on kel tec . com . or you could send it back and wait .

If you have the plastic catch and have been inserting the mag without pressing the catch you have probably worn the catch down. Like someone else said, get the metal one. Kel Tec has also been lightly grinding the edge of the mag on the catch side when they install the metal catch. After that you can slam them in without problems.

thanks all, i had read after i purchased this little monster that one problem was inserting the mag into the pistol and wearing the release out. i have always pressed the release prior to inserting mag to reduce wear/tear. i have emailed kel-tec concerning this, surely i can replace the pin :rolleyes:

Had the same prob. with my Pf9 which was bought in April last yr. and was one of the newer ones, so i got the updated metal mag release as well as the new hammer-block for free and i installed both also ordered a new hammer block for my p-32 for free and installed it!

The new hammer block is a great asset and please check this site http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1222695590

it shows how to replace all this stuff as well lets you check if your gun is up to date, since the early pf9s have been updated on a lot of things.

Guest bazookazilla

Have you had any problems with the slide not locking back on an empty magazine. Mine has been doing that since i got it. I keep meaning to send it back, but I never seem to get around to doing it.

No, never had that prob. go on link 2 posts up and you can learn about various problem with a lot of the older guns, Keltec has done so many upgdades due to problems on this gun, which only has been around 3-4 yrs. which is really unbelieveable! I love the PF9, but all that were made prior to March 08 did have many serious problems to numerous for me to list.

I bought mine in April as one of the new ones, but even it had the plastic mag. release and old hammer-block which i fixed myself and i got the parts for free.

I am not a smith but on the link it will tell you how to do a lot of the updates

with pic. All the latest. updated ones now come in a plastic case.

I even upgraded my p-32 which i got in 02 with the new hammer-block, they will upgrade any gun free but it may take a while.

I would not have any of their guns unless it had all upgrades due to safety and reliabilty concerns, they rush the guns out and then repair problems as they happen, which is a shame!

Have you had any problems with the slide not locking back on an empty magazine. Mine has been doing that since i got it. I keep meaning to send it back, but I never seem to get around to doing

it.

Call Kel tec and have them send you a mag follower. They wear down to the point that it does not engage the stop. Call the service dept. and they will send it to you free.