Have you ever had to use your weapon you carrY?

Guest Rem_700

Guest Swamprunner

No offense taken on my part, but as an earlier post mentioned, if you lived it you probably don't want to re-live it. That is very true. I remember when I was a youngster, and was looking at my Father's WW2 photos, and I asked questions. My father, who was a very humble man, became very sad, and avoided any eye contact with me, refusing to talk about the photos. I suppose you can tell a real vet from a wannabe by the sadness reflected in a person's eyes when reliving a life changing moment. There is no honor in causing harm or death to another, even in war. Defending freedom and family is a just cause, but the consequences can be long lasting, even if lethal force if justified.

It is truly a different world that we live in, different from the world I lived in as a child. Nothing is held sacred anymore. And if nothing is sacred, anything goes. The liberal elite can rail against weapons carry all they want, but it is a sad fact we must do so in order to protect our families. I applaud your decision to protect yourself and your family by obtaining your HCP. Godspeed.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

Oh yeah. I assume we've all hit deer with some kinda cannon and watched them run off without falling over.

I would say that a 12ga slug at close range is going to deliver about as much wallop as anything can. And I did hit a doe with one and spun it around in a 360 that was pretty interesting.

I've never had to use any kind of weapon on a person. There have been a few times I was glad I was armed, but not in years.

Guest bkelm18

Newton's Third Law: For every action, there is an equal but opposite reaction. If its knocks your opponent down, it'll knock you down as well.

Guest KWW67
I see.

I just couldn't imagine anyone having to much left on top of their feet after taking even just one 12G slug to the chest.

Most certainly. Worked a home invasion homicide one night where the h/o squeezed one 12 ga slug into the intruder and there was not even an exit wound. Very mininmal blood and just the hole to center mass (chest). He was lying approx 15-20 ft inside the house face down on the floor......

Fact #1 - Doesn't alway drop them like on TV

Fact #2 - Rounds do not explode the target

For you guys who went to the state police academy, did you ever see the picture in one of those books in your dorm room of the guy on PCP or something that officers shot (can't remember exactly) but somewhere 30-40 times maybe more with a 9mm before he dropped? Face and all. Guy looked like a pice of swiss cheese. Literally. It has been a very long time since I went (almost 20 years) and don't know if they still have those books or not. Seems like they remodeled the joint since then. But those of you who went a while back probably remember what I am talking about..

Edited by KWW67
Guest archerdr1

For you guys who went to the state police academy, did you ever see the picture in one of those books in your dorm room of the guy on PCP or something that officers shot (can't remember exactly) but somewhere 30-40 times maybe more with a 9mm before he dropped? Face and all. Guy looked like a pice of swiss cheese. Literally. It has been a very long time since I went (almost 20 years) and don't know if they still have those books or not. Seems like they remodeled the joint since then. But those of you who went a while back probably remember what I am talking about..

saw something like that in Chatt. PD. One of the instructors told a story (not sure if it was true or not) of a guy that tried to hold up a bank and the security guard shot him with his .45. They said he ran a block before actually falling...they said his heart was in pieces...in the bank!

Most certainly. Worked a home invasion homicide one night where the h/o squeezed one 12 ga slug into the intruder and there was not even an exit wound. Very mininmal blood and just the hole to center mass (chest). He was lying approx 15-20 ft inside the house face down on the floor......

Fact #1 - Doesn't alway drop them like on TV

Fact #2 - Rounds do not explode the target

I saw them. One in particular was a shoot-out in Commiefornia at a motel, (I think). The one I remember was a film to demonstrate what someone can do under adrenalin. If I recall it was to demonstrate the contrast between this and the "Good Guy" syndrome where a policeman died from shock after being struck with a grazing wound to the forearm with a .22 short.

But for the original intent of this thread, I do not have a problem telling about the one time I came close to killing someone. I believe that it's important to share such things so that others can learn from your experiences - be it good or bad. It was before I became a police officer when I was working armed security in a bar district in Kansas City, Missouri in 1986. The area is called "Westport", and at the time had about 16 bars in a 3 block radius. During the weekends, the Kansas City police did not come down there unless they were called, so for all practical purposes, the security was the police.

We responded to a fight in progress with armed combatants. When I got to the scene, I saw a white guy with a baseball bat, and a black guy with a tire tool fighting. The black guy was clearly defensive. Since both subjects were armed and I was within a few yards of them, I drew my Ruger .38 and yelled at them to drop their weapons. The black guy turned his head and dropped his tire tool immediately. The white guy, who was a couple of yards further away, decided to take the opportunity to swing for the fence. I aimed at him, yelled to drop the bat or else, and pulled the trigger to half-cock. I did this because I learned this was back in the day when most PD's carried revolvers, and I had learned beforehand that people won't pick-up on much, but they will pick-up on the turning of a cylinder in a revolver. They white guy, (through the alcohol), realized that I was serious, and dropped the bat.

I was so pissed at the guy that I couldn't deal with him. I had one of the other guys hand-cuff him while I dealt with the black guy. I was seething with anger because the guy brought me so close to ending his life for something so stupid: He was driving the wrong way in the parking lot, and the black guy blew his horn at him. The white guy grabbed the bat and started wailing on the black guy's car. When he went after the glass, the black guy grabbed the tire tool more in an attempt to protect his girlfriend who was in the passenger's seat.

It was sort of odd to be so angry yet so grateful that I didn't have to end that man's life. I never would have imagined that I would have felt that way. This was a rough area, but I never REALLY gave thought to EVER having to come that close to killing someone. i think it was because I was planning on becoming a police officer for years before this happened that helped me through this situation.

Some may think this is nothing but a story, and that's fine. Whatever. I know it's real. I can guarantee you that I'm no where near 19 years old, and have no reason to BS anyone.

Thanks for the information. Well stated. I don't and the group as a whole, do not call BS unless warranted. I definitely do not want to hinder anyone from relating their experiences. That's what the OP meant for this thread to be. I apologize for its direction but not my intent, which in the big picture was something I felt had to be done. Time will tell.

Guest Irish_Red

Never had to use it at all. When I was working outside of Memphis one time I did see a car get jacked on Lamar Ave. at a gas Station it was kinda of scary for the lady with the car she was very worked up but was unharmed.

Guest TennFarmer

I did pull mine, caught a guy in my shop. I was walking down the hill to the shop and he ran out, was about 40 feet away. Told him to stop, he runs back in the shop, he runs back out...looks at me and says "where is she?" Finally figured out he was wacked out on something.

Yelled to the wife to call the police...you know they will show up fast when they are told the owner has the perp at gun point, and they will show up in large numbers too. Sliding in sideways and all too. Service with a smile.

Anyhow, I was far enough from him I did not feel threatened but I picked a point where I would have to do something. He never crossed it. The deputy thanked me for not shooting him. They knew him pretty well, said he was screwed up really from birth and crack had not helped matters. The kid died from an OD about a year later.

I was shaking like a leaf the rest of the evening. I did not have to fill out one piece of paper for it.

So, Jeep Monkey must not have taken well to being called out.

Certainly seems that way. I was willing to give him a little slack at first when the stuff just seemed above average, but Rightwinger is right. Bond doesn't lead as exciting a life.

I know I certainly don't lol

I thought he would at least stick around to pull the "I dont have to prove anything to you because I'm awesome" response...

I really thought his responses to the question might have outdone a certain thread pertaining to a faux SF/Recon veteran w/ an internet gunsmith's certificate...