Have you ever had to use your weapon you carrY?

Guest Rem_700

Guest Rem_700

Just curious,im waiting on my permit to get issued and was wondering how many people actually has drawn their weapon?Doesn't mean kill/shoot them,but just pull it out,to mabe deter someone.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My carry weapon is just like my seatbelt. Thankfully, I've never needed it, but I put it on every time I leave home, just because if I ever do need it, I want it to be there.

Just my two cents, but in my experience talking with some friends who are in law enforcement and the military, those who have 'been there and done that' generally don't care to bring it up or relive moments that they thought they would die. I figure the same would apply to 'civilians' who carry handguns. Your mileage may vary.

Your gona get some mixed answers on this one. You'll get some "big, brave" types who have to carry in the projects every day and will admitting to "having to pull" thier weapon often. There are others whom, even if they have pulled thier weapon, they don't care to share the detals because of the bold experiance that took place. Yet others will admit they have "used" thier weapons but don't even own a gun or a permit to carry. :P

The realization and truth is, hopefully, you'll never be in the situation to where you'll have to pull your weapon much less actually use it againt someone attempting to do you harm. Keeping aware of your surroundings and staying on the alert when your in a bad area usually keeps you from being the target.

So with that being said...good luck on your permit and don't worry about what others have or haven't done. Worry about what your gona do when the situation arises....:D

Guest Rem_700

I don't want to offend anyone.Kinda like asking a vet if how many people he killed?I didn't think this question was like that,so if i did offend anyone,I truely apologize..

Kinda reminds me of Gran Torino.

"What's it like...to kill a man?"

"You don't want to know."

You may have asked the question innocently enough, but I'd wager kwe45919 gave you the most honest answer you'll get here, save for the people who say they have never had to draw/fire their weapon.

Guest archerdr1

never have had to pull it on anyone, however, one day I came home from work and my wife was out with our son. The front door was standing open. I did draw my weapon when I entered but after I cleared my house I called the wife and she said she thought she might have left the door open. It can be hard to remember to close the door when you are dragging around an 18 month old. I do think the guys are correct thought. If I had to pull it on someone I don't think I would really want to be reliving it.

I don't want to offend anyone.Kinda like asking a vet if how many people he killed?I didn't think this question was like that,so if i did offend anyone,I truely apologize..

I'm sure you didn't offend any of us.

You may have asked the question innocently enough, but I'd wager kwe45919 gave you the most honest answer you'll get here, save for the people who say they have never had to draw/fire their weapon.

Hopefully most of us will never know what it's really like. Mentally, I think I am prepared to find out, emotionally I think I can deal with it. With that said, after a lot of thinking and reading about the subject, I know I can and will pull the trigger and end a persons life if it comes down to "that" type of situation where my family or I are threatened.

Guest GhostHunter

Nope, me neither and hope to God I don't ever have to. But it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. You never know when it's going to be your turn to have a bad day.

Guest JeepMonkey

I have had to use a weapon on someone in defense, but it was the sister's Mossy 500 and not my EDC. It's not something that I am offended by when asked and I don't mind discussing it, but it's not an event I like to think about all too often. Long story short, late at night I was cleaning guns after a day at the range upstairs in my room at the end of the hallway. Glass door gets broken open at about 0030 and I hear more than one distinct voice. When they all got to the bottom of the stairs I met them at the top and drew on them with the forend light focused on them. All but one threw their hands up and backed away; the one that did not pulled out a 9mm Beretta. He got two slugs through the chest and was D.O.S.

(Some exact details on the actual breaking-in, number of shots fired, and time may have been changed for obvious reasons. Date, total number of those who broke in, and number of my family in the house will not be divulged.)

Not too long after that, my Dad and I applied for our carry permits. Mom recently submitted her application. The sister and brother will have one from ND when they turn 18. A lot of my neighbors followed suit after that happened as well. I hope and pray every day I never have to use any weapon fatally again, but I still refuse to become a victim.

• Administrator

Regarding the second question asked by the original poster, about using your firearm as a deterrent...

Conventional wisdom is that your handgun should remain holstered until you're ready to pull the trigger. Brandishing a firearm can be a punishable offense, plus it can take a mildly heated situation and cause it to escalate into a potential manslaughter case.

Firearms aren't deterrents. They are a final line of defense.

Guest KWW67

Duty related only.

Word of caution: If you pull it and point it, you better be justified and ready and willing to USE IT!

Edited by KWW67
Guest Rem_700

When I asked if you had to pull it to deter somebody,I meant it in a life or death situation,but I do understand that I should only pull it if im going to use it.Out instructor at out class told us to only pull the weapon if we was planning on shooting it.

Guest bkelm18
Yea but its a fed law that you have to 21 to buy a handgun. I think a minor can be given a handgun by a perent but i dont see a state issuing a handgun carry permit to someone under 21?

-Jason G

There are states that allow people under 21 to get carry permits. New Hampshire being one.

Guest JeepMonkey
I might be wrong I think he's the one that jas a permit from another state going to school in Tn.
Yup, that's me. ME/NH non-resident permits and waiting for the ND one to come in.

What City/St would that be in Jeep Monkey? I suppose it would have to be in the last 2 or 3 years as well correct? There will be a record of it by LEO and probably in the local papers so we can verify.

Otherwise I call BS on this. Only Jack Bower lives a more eventful life.

EDIT

I say send the DETAILs to Mr. Stegall, our resident lawyer, that way you may remain "anonymous" but I'm tired of it getting higher and deeper. If your details are already public record "back home" then lead us to the newspaper online article that has it.

Then and only then will I believe the veracity of what you claim.

Edited by Rightwinger
Guest bkelm18
What City/St would that be in Jeep Monkey? I suppose it would have to be in the last 2 or 3 years as well correct? There will be a record of it by LEO and probably in the local papers so we can verify.

Otherwise I call BS on this. Only Jack Bower lives a more eventful life.

EDIT

I say send the DETAILs to Mr. Stegall, our resident lawyer, that way you may remain "anonymous" but I'm tired of it getting higher and deeper. If your details are already public record "back home" then lead us to the newspaper online article that has it.

Then and only then will I believe the veracity of what you claim.

Wow. Classy. ;)

Have you followed all his posts? This kid has more action than James Bond plus he is always here! What 19 year old in Knoxville sits around on a Fri or Sat night hitting TGO when he could be out riding around in one of two jeeps with his hot girlfriend.

As has been the case with a couple of others before, when you throw information out there that is on the verge of extreme, don't flinch when verification gets asked for.

Maybe it's all true! If so I'll publically apologize for asking for verification of information he put out to the group.

Rightwinger, that wasnt nice, i have like many a semi rare gun and when somebody asks about that model, i will them my experiences but when they asked for pictures, no luck since i never learned how to post pictures and really dont even want to! Does that mean, that i dont have said gun?