TVA "parks"

Guest abailey362

Guest abailey362

Are the TVA recreation areas, like by the damn in chatt/hixson, considered federal or local or private property?

TVA is a federally started and funded agency, but is a business. The areas have a generic "No firearms" sign, but I want to know exactly how the property is classified.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TennFarmer
Are the TVA recreation areas, like by the damn in chatt/hixson, considered federal or local or private property?

TVA is a federally started and funded agency, but is a business. The areas have a generic "No firearms" sign, but I want to know exactly how the property is classified.

Man, that is a good question. TVA is a federal agency...BUT, they no longer take any federal money. The agency is self funded now thru power production funds. Easy...no? yes? None the less, dang good question.

I work for them and travel thru the 7 state region to the hydro plants...and several of them are out in the boonies. Saw my first wild cat at one, bears and wild hogs at another one, and a couple of guys that were in "Deliverence" at another ;). I would feel so much better to have my carry in the truck.

I know that the facilities would be considered Fed Govt. buildings so they'd be no go. Not sure about the project grounds.

Do you mean like the RiverPark down by the Dam?

I get out on the (Ill call it the River Walk ;) ) fairly often,but I always assumed those areas were city parks and such.

At any rate,I wouldn't want to be caught out in those areas without something!

I get out on the (Ill call it the River Walk :screwy: ) fairly often,but I always assumed those areas were city parks and such.

u

You wouldn't want to be in front of a Federal Magistrate either.;)

u

You wouldn't want to be in front of a Federal Magistrate either.:P

Then again....the old debate of "if I'm concealed, how would he know?" comes into play.

Consider all of TVA's property to be Federal. No matter what state they are in. Every park or parking lot on TVA property is considered Federal. Remember, TVA has Federal wetlands and "eco" parks on some of thier property.....:D

Guest archerdr1

Definitely don't get caught with it there. Some of those officers and park rangers can be really great, but I have seen some that are outright JERKS! I used to work for a company that took care of Mentally and physically handicapped students. We would take them to the Riverpark and let them get some fresh air. I remember a couple of times there was a park ranger that told us we needed to hurry and move our bus while we were unloading Wheelchair bound individuals from the bus. How rude can you be... definitely not the officer that you want catching you with a weapon!

Guest Grout

I get out on the (Ill call it the River Walk :rofl: ) fairly often,but I always assumed those areas were city parks and such.

The River Park falls under the Hamilton Co. Parks and Recreation division.They have Park Rangers who are sworn LEOs with the HCSD.

Guest abailey362

well if it is federal property, and called a park, wouldn't it fall under federal park carry then?

I guess if I go into the buildings to take a leak it's a federal bldg at that point, but i can just piss elsewhere.

Not sure if we are talking about the same places. I'm referring to the park area with the "swimming area" that is marked as not being a swimming area on the northeast shore of the dam

well if it is federal property, and called a park, wouldn't it fall under federal park carry then?

No. The new carry regulations only applied to parks under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service. TVA property would not fall under that regulation. They would make their own rules and regs.

Guest TennFarmer

btw... the dams are under the control of the US Army Corp of Engineers.

Got to be specific about where you are talking about.

On the Tennessee river ( + the Duckriver and Elk river), TVA owns and controls the dam & power plant. If it has a lock, the lock is a TVA facility, but it is operated by the US Army Corp of Engineers.

On the Cumberland river, the dams, power house, and locks are owned and control by the US ACOEs.

I'm going to talk to a couple of officers to find out what they understand as the law now.

I guess if I go into the buildings to take a leak it's a federal bldg at that point, but i can just piss elsewhere.

Not sure if we are talking about the same places. I'm referring to the park area with the "swimming area" that is marked as not being a swimming area on the northeast shore of the dam

Ah,gotcha! I also do not think that is part of TVA.

But knowing TVA,if its their property,it will be well documented on signs about every two feet..

there are, you just have to look.

LOL. I got unlazy and looked. I have full confidence that a HCP gives the legal right to carry while boating on Tennessee lakes and waterways.

The Glockmeister's research was really helpful. I haven't got a letter from TWRA, though.