Danger of Intervention

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest you Google: evan marshall fackler

There are some questions about the "data" Marshall and Sanow used in coming up with their one-shot stopping power ammo analysis.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/afte.htm will get you started. Here's what was written in one review of the Marshall/Sanow book:

It is unfortunate that the authors did not take the time to adequately research and document their material and that the book’s editors did not demand correction of the confusing mistakes in evidence throughout the book. As a result, this text has far too many errors, inconsistencies, and a blatant disregard for scientific truth to be recommended as a wound ballistics reference book. The reader is asked to believe, on faith alone, a field "data base" derived from unpublished "secret sources." No clear thinking person should fall prey to this nonsense, but some individuals with no background in science or those too indolent or busy to do their own thinking could be misled. This book is a bad joke, a joke which may get law enforcement officers killed.

I am not a fan of Marshal-Sanow. After reading that piece I am even less a fan of his.

But he does make some good points. Intervening in an unknown situation is very very dangerous. The good guys and bad guys dont wear badges identifying themselves. The story of "man beating woman, cop/passerby restrains man, woman knifes passerby" has been told all too many times.

Two guys fighting? I doubt I would do much. Guy beating on a woman? Call the police, be a good witness.

However, I am more apt to intervene than Mr. Marshall appears to be. Maybe it will end up being the wrong decision but I could not sleep well at night knowing some guy's daughter got raped and murdered and I sat by and did nothing.

There have been instances of undercover police officers being shot and killed by people trying to "help" the nicely dressed bad guy. I wouldn't intervene unless I was absolutely, positevely sure of the situation.

I think the article makes some valid points. Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.

We aren't the cops. For me to intervene in a crime in progress requires a real threat to myself or someone else. Knowing the consequence of such intervention is part of being an informed citizen.

I just wanted to point out that you need to take anything Evan Marshall says with a grain of salt. Trust but verify? Marshall is mostly good at self-promotion. When it comes to wound ballistics, I'll trust Marty Fackler instead.