Err.....I hate spiders!

strickj

as long as they aren't Brown Recluses or Black Widows they are fine by me. I hate the bugs they eat more!

On a side note. In NW Arkansas the tarantulas used to migrate every so often. Imagine millions of tarantulas moving at top speed like a wave! Freaky!

I'll just have to imagine dropping napalm on that migration. Nuke it from space just to be sure

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VolMickey

Dude, spiders give me the friggin' creeps! Eww... uhm, uh, oh.

Hey, fellow manly, tough guys like me, got anything with the word "tactical" in it that we can talk about?

Guest JeepMonkey

My kid sister used the tactical light on her Mossy while standing on the dining room table to point out a spider about the size of the one in the picture on the first page to me. My combat boot took care of it real quick. ;)

Anyone other than me start feeling a creepy-crawly feeling on themselves after reading this thread?

EDIT: This reminded me of an e-mail my cousin sent me when he was in Baghdad. He didn't find these two, but they weren't found too far from him.

CamelSpider.jpg

Edited by JeepMonkey

Back in 2004 when I lived in Smyrna, my wife and I lived in an apartment off of Sam Ridley.

I saw spiders occasionally, but then almost all of a sudden I'd see spiders everywhere. Under the bed, in the closet, in the bathroom, in the kitchen, in the window sills... every freakin where. These were brown recluses too.

I had a spare bedroom with a closet. I didnt get in there often. One night I opened the door. There was three spiders on the wall, and one on the door that fell off and nearly landed on me when I opened it.

The wife and I told the landlord and she blew us off saying "Oh its that time of year! Hahaha!"

So we put down some sticky boards and caught a few. We printed out some pics of necrotic bites from the internet and took them down there. She changed her story at that point and called an exterminator.

I'm so glad we moved out shortly after that. :cool:

Edited by BenS
Guest Fenris

CamelSpider.jpg

A guy I work with who has been over there said the creepy thing about these guys (they're harmless and make good target practice because they are fast and make a big splat) is that they will follow you to stay in your shadow. They like shade during the day.

He said it wasn't unusual to have one follow you on patrol around the compound staying in your shadow.

I hate bugs. I'm absolutely mortified by them. I can deal with crickets and stuff like that, but roaches, spiders, etc will send me into a fit. I damn near caught our back yard on fire with a can of hair spray and a lighter once trying to kill a spider on my patio. Looked kinda like this actually minus the mask and nifty hat...

rorschachflames3.jpg

Guest FroggyOne2

Last night on Coast to Coast they were talking about a guy whom had a bike accident and became a paraplegic.. and was bitten by a Brown Recluse, over the period of a few weeks.. he began to be able to walk again.. they still don't know what caused it.. but they guy was happy the spider had come along!

My dog was bit by a brown recluse the other day. Took him to the vet and they had to cut out all the infection. So now he has a big hole by his junk on his belly. It hurt him bad, but he is getting better

Hope the pooch recovers...my dog died, of old age (14.5 years), 6 months ago and I still miss her. (sniff)

Guest db99wj
I hate bugs. I'm absolutely mortified by them. I can deal with crickets and stuff like that, but roaches, spiders, etc will send me into a fit. I damn near caught our back yard on fire with a can of hair spray and a lighter once trying to kill a spider on my patio. Looked kinda like this actually minus the mask and nifty hat...

rorschachflames3.jpg

:rofl: You know you were wearing the mask AND the nifty hat!:D

CamelSpider.jpg

More the truth is the following, from:

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/camelspider.html

"The photograph above is a study in perspective. The creatures pictured do, indeed, appear to be camel spiders. However, most accounts describe them as "golf-ball sized" or "about the size of a child's hand," and not the monsters they appear to be above. The composition of the photo draws your eyes to the legs of the soldier in the background for size comparison, rather than the other soldier's sleeve in the right foreground, which is the more accurate perspective. Then, the intertwining of the two insects also complicate getting a feel for their true size. The photo below gives a better indication of the Camel Spider's true size."

camelspider2.jpg

"The narrative included with the photo above is as misleading as the photo's use of exaggerated perspective. Solifugids are commonly called camel spiders simply because they share the desert with camels, not because they eat them. The spiders are, indeed, very quick and frighteningly aggressive. They have a strong bite, but rarely attack humans or larger animals. Primarily, they prey on other arthropods, like scorpions, but have been known to kill lizards, mice and birds.

Many of the rumors about camel spiders (which technically aren't spiders, but are arachnids) commonly in circulation originated from the 1991 Gulf War. Other versions of the text accompanying the photo insist that these creatures scream when they run, are capable of running 25 mph and are extremely venomous. Reality, however, is not as horrifying.

Camel spiders are quick, but far from capable of the speeds attributed to them, and are completely silent. They are fearsome hunters, but are not venomous, though their bite may produce slight numbness and extreme pain. Break this chain.

References: Uniformed Nurse Practitioner Association, 3rd Brigade Family Readiness Group, About.com, TruthOrFiction.com, Snopes.com"

- OS

Guest bkelm18

I can handle most bugs with the exception of cockroaches. If you ever want to hear me scream like a girl, throw a roach at me. Bleh. Though from what I am told they are one of the cleaner insects. Not that I care.

Guest billwilly73

Remember the Dirty Jobs episode where they exterminated the trailer with all the roaches.............That one gave me the eeebie jeeebies:panic:

Guest bkelm18
Remember the Dirty Jobs episode where they exterminated the trailer with all the roaches.............That one gave me the eeebie jeeebies:panic:

Yeah I had to change the channel while watching that one.