Err.....I hate spiders!

strickj

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest flyfishtn

Yep, I don't mind spiders as long as I don't see them, but when I see them out, they gotta go.

We have this strain of spiders in our house that look like a brown recluse. Ugh.....

Guest dkirby

I used to work for Orkin Pest Control. Believe me, I've seen my share of freaking huge spiders, snakes, and houses infested with roaches (millions of them). I don't like spiders much, but after working there I fear them less. I have seen wolf spiders (the ones that look like brown recluse but have light brown stripes on their backs) that are about the size of my hand. I've been in some of the basements of the older houses in east nashville, and seen hundreds of black widow spiders in every imaginable corner and hole they can fit in. And I've walked into houses that had so many roaches you could actually hear the patter of their feet as they walked around. Now that was gross. Nothing like opening up a kitchen cabinet, and having a few dozen roaches fall on your head, down your shirt, and crawl up your pants. Ahh.. don't miss that job much :screwy:

Guest db99wj
(regarding camel crickets)

Good fish bait, though.

- OS

I always figured they would, but still can't get over the general ickiness of them..:screwy:

I always figured they would, but still can't get over the general ickiness of them..:cool:

When I was maybe 12 years old, my dad and I rented a boat and went fishing on Reelfoot Lake for crappie. Cane poles. What was the recommended bait?

ROACHES! (they called them "waterbugs".)

BIG black roaches in wire bait cages, bigger than the cylinder ones for crickets. White smooshy innards oozing out when you put hook into them.

Now THAT's icky.

But all the big ole slabs we could catch.

- OS

Guest billwilly73

I hate bees........Wasps, Hornets, YellerJackets.........Hate em all

My fat butt can outrun most spiders, but I hate being chased by some friggin bees. Some of the sobs don't give up

Guest TennFarmer

spider1.jpg

Man, I hate spiders too. We have one plant in Tullahoma that is overrun with spiders. We I leave the place, I can still feel them crawling on me. Big honkin' ones too.

So any of you guys have scorpions? I hate them! One night i woke up and felt something crawling across my chest so i brush it off really hard (in the dark, didn't have my night vision handy, lol) but I wasn't fast enough it stung me on my hand, it swelled pretty big and hurt. But then I had to get up and find it and KILL IT INTO A MILLION PIECES! so I could go back to sleep.

scorpion.gif

Edited by tennessee01tacoma
Guest db99wj
spider1.jpg

Man, I hate spiders too. We have one plant in Tullahoma that is overrun with spiders. We I leave the place, I can still feel them crawling on me. Big honkin' ones too.

So any of you guys have scorpions? I hate them! One night i woke up and felt something crawling across my chest so i brush it off really hard (in the dark, didn't have my night vision handy, lol) but I wasn't fast enough it stung me on my hand, it swelled pretty big and hurt. But then I had to get up and find it and KILL IT INTO A MILLION PIECES! so I could go back to sleep.

scorpion.gif

If I woke up to either one of those, and possibley one of those sprickets I was talking about earlier, I would shoot them.

Guest 70below

A buddy of mine from work used to own a pet store, had every type of creepy crawly thing imaginable in there. He's been a snake owner and breeder (:)) for 25 or more years, has pythons, lizards, tarantulas, all kinds of stuff in his house. He used to freak out FedEx drivers that would come to his store with a delivery and ask to see what was in the box they just delivered only to realize it was an 18" Bird Eating Tarantula. And with all that, he'll wig the heck out whenever one of those crazy legged crickets gets within 20' of him....LOL. We always called 'em Cave Crickets. About a year ago my dad and I were in a garnet mine and I went up a little further and the whole wall was covered with them. At first I thought they were spiders, and when I swore, my dad asked me what it was (he's deathly afraid of spiders) and I told him that he didn't want to go over there....lol. Then I realized they were crickets and he thought I was just saying it so he wouldn't freak out....lol.

These guys, right?

Camel crickets is what they are really named.

camelcricket2a.jpg

- OS

When I was started rehabbing my house, I sent my buddy under the house to help me with some plumbing. He started yelling and when I shined the light down he said it look like a million little demons were looking at him! The whole underneath of the house was covered in those buggers!:)

I used to work at a place that had a dark,dusty warehouse.This place was perfect for them little ****ers! I mean it was like the Playboy house for spiders!

I would see wolf spiders the size of my hand on a nearly daily basis.

Anyhoo,one day with my work truck pulled into the warehouse,I pulled all the trash out of the passenger side floor,and went to through it in the trash,when I looked down and saw the biggest gd spider Ive ever seen. :panic:Not sure what kind it was,but I **** you not,that damn thing looked up at me,stood up on its hind legs,stuck its fangs straight out,and hissed!

Frickin hissed!

I'm not too sure what happened next,or who killed that sucker,as it took about 20 minutes to to scrape my britches clean

Errr,I'm glad I dont work there anymore!

Edited by strickj
Did you have necrosis or not? I've seen some NASTY wounds from the necrosis following a brown recluse bite.

I was bitten by one back in the summer of '04 and while I had a strong allergic reaction (eyes itched terribly and were so bloodshot my eyes were completely red, no white to be seen), there was zero necrosis. Turns out I'm (apparently) part of a smallish percentage of folks who are somewhat tolerant to the venom. The doc recommended I not try to get bit again to test that theory and I've done my best to follow his advice. :screwy:

I didnt, I shrugged it off for the first day then I started having some terrible headaches and the area around the bite started turning a nice shade of colors I never thought possible. Went to the hospital and the doctor was just "Meh" about it and gave me some antibiotics. It did eventually heal up, but remind me never to go to Northcrest agian if I have an emergency :censored:.

scorpion.gif

I bet most people don't realize that there are two types of scorpions that call Tennessee home. One is native and one was introduced. I didn't realize it till I was at Davidson County Sportsman Club and saw one crawling across the clubhouse floor. My daughter wanted to catch it and keep it as a pet.

Eh... scorpions are cool. They're all over south Florida (where I grew up) especially in the Keys. Hold them down with a double-gloved hand and snap the stinger off with a knife blade and you've got a harmless, fun, creep-crawly pet for a little while.

However, they're not fun to find while you're crawling under a house in the dark. Ugh. That's part of the reason I decided not to move houses for a living. I freakin' hate crawling around on my belly in the dark! (Keep the comments to yourselves!)

I saw one in Memphis, none around this area (thank goodness). Now those are some creepy buggers!

There are plenty of scorpions, the small pretty much solid brown ones, around Watts Bar Lake and Ocoee River/Parksville Lake, two of my stomping grounds growing up.

I got popped by one (stepped on it barefoot) as a kid. Not too much worse than a wasp sting, except it hurt for a couple of hours instead of just a few min.

But then, I'm not allergic to any of the common stingeroos, have been pegged by yellowjackets 20 or 30 at a time, stuff like that, no probs.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest frankcostanza

I never knew we had scorpions here either until last summer when one turned up in the bathtub of the cabin me and my wife were staying at in Gatlinburg. It was sorta cool, but sorta creepy. Of course she made me kill it, but all night long I kept imagining them crawling all over me while I slept. Yeeeesh. I cant stand those big fuzzy brown spiders either. I dont know if theyre wolf spiders or something else, but they always seem to find their way up into our bedroom.

I never knew we had scorpions here either until last summer ...

They're very concentrated in certain type areas ... biggest bunches I've always found around man-made habitat: loose rubble stone, strewn-around flat stuff, like roofing shingles, paving stones, lumber, and whatnot.

- OS

They have some spiders over here where I am right now you have to see to believe. I think they call them camel spiders. If I saw one at home, I'd have to go to Lowes to fix the buckshot holes in the floor. Some pretty good size scorpions, too - a good 6-8 inches long. Not sure I'd want to try stomping them. A local runs a little gift shed (kind of like a gift shop, only not so fancy) and sells 'em framed.