Glock vs. 1911

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A reasonable review of the pros/cons. I'd add cost as a factor in the Glock's favor. A good 1911 will run ya.

I've been pro-Glock as long as I've carried a gun and it is what I feel most comfortable with. There is no denying the innovations Gaston Glock gave us, but there is also no denying the beauty of the 1911 (both aesthetically and mechanically). I know Glockers who disdain my desire for a Kimber ProCarry II since they are purists and see wandering from the pure faith as heresy. I, on the other hand, being the tolerant type, say "the more the merrier, variety is the spice of life, more cool guns for me to collect, etc."

I even (*gasp!*) own a couple of revolvers.

Things I like about full size Glocks:

-Capacity

-Ease of disassembly for cleaning

-Simplicity

Things I like about full size 1911s (Kimber and the like.. higher end 1911s):

-Feel

-I like the external hammer - I like to see mechanical workings of machines for whatever reason

-They are ****ing beautiful guns

-Accuracy and reliability

The only things keeping me from switching from my Glock 36 to a compact 1911 for carry are cost and the fact that I can put this gun in my cargo pocket without worry about it snagging on something. I would only feel comfortable carrying a 1911 in a holster because of the hammer, safety, and sights protruding from the gun.

I own both, shoot both and like both. The slim profile of the 1911 is my I carry one. Glock 36+jelly belly= funny bruising in places where you don't want to explain to the wife why it looks like you have a hickey

My 1st carry piece was a Sig, then a G36, then a G26, then another Sig, now a 1911 or two

OWB=Glock

IWB=1911

Guest EasilyObsessed

I have one of each. I bought the glock because of practicality. I wanted a carry gun that I wouldnt have to worry about keeping "pretty" and that would be completely reliable and simple to operate. For those purposes, it fills the role just fine. That said, I cant wait to replace it with something else. I am pretty much sold on the new Smith M&Ps and will be replacing the glock with one of the 45's as soon as I can afford it. Main reason...the M&P feels like my 1911 while having all the qualities of the glock that I bought it for :D Of all the guns I currently own, my 1911 is the one I enjoy shooting the most (well...maybe second to the AR15).