There just aren’t enough people carrying

I carried for years, but when I moved to Tennessee I didn’t feel the need to get a carry permit. Seeing more and more of these stories is changing my mind.

These guys that start shooting over an argument and start shooting in road rage incidents need to die right where they stand.

“An armed citizen killed the suspect†needs to be included in all these stories.

Maury County man wanted in double shooting

Columbia Police are looking for an attempted murder suspect, a man they are calling “extremely dangerous,†according to Columbia Detective Jeremy Alsup.

The suspect, who police believe to be Sederick Tremaine Armstrong, opened fire on three victims Saturday night at about 8 p.m. in the parking lot of a Shell convenience station on West 7th Street in Columbia, Alsup said. The suspect and the victims were involved in a verbal argument when Armstrong, 21, shot Buford Oneal Brady, 36, and Stephen Blackwood, 24, both of Maury County.

Brady and Blackwood were both taken by helicopter to Vanderbilt University Medical Center where they underwent surgery, Alsup said. They are now both in stable condition. A third victim, Frank Henson, 21, of Maury County, was not injured.

Armstrong, who is from Maury County, is a black male with black hair and brown eyes. He is 5-feet, 10-inches tall and weighs about 175 pounds. Police believe he is driving a 1999 silver Chevy Camaro with the license plate number 932 DNB. He is wanted on three counts of attempted murder and one count of reckless endangerment.

Police ask anyone with information to contact Detective Alsup at (931) 388-2717.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070708/COUNTY04/70708006/-1/RSS05

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

I agree fully. This is the exact reason why I got a permit and I started carrying. To expect law enforcement to be there before or during an incident is like expecting your boss to give you a 100% raise. It just ain't gonna happen.

I would love to see more stories end with, a permitted firearms owner ended the confrontation. Or better yet, a legally armed citizen that has no need for a permit because the Constitution said he could carry.

Guest ETS_Inc

That Shell station is just a few minutes away from my business partner's house. I drive right by it all too frequently. And people wonder why I carry a gun everywhere where it is legal to do so.

It might be a good time to mention situational awareness and being man enough to dis-engage from an argument. Maybe if the two that were shot had left or not responded to the shooter it may have not happened.

Seems that America's youth is now taught through TV, movies and video games to be the tough guy and do not hesitate to pull out that illegally carried pistol they got off the street.

I do not get out of my truck anywhere without checking my surroundings first. I do not enter the convenience store if something seems askew. I actually have sat a couple of times in the car until what I saw as odd resolved itselfs. Everytime nothing happened. And I am not afraid to back off if something is not right. Pulling the pistol is always the last, and only then a forced option.

Been lucky to date that there has been no need for it.

Guest ProguninTN
I carried for years, but when I moved to Tennessee I didn’t feel the need to get a carry permit. Seeing more and more of these stories is changing my mind.

These guys that start shooting over an argument and start shooting in road rage incidents need to die right where they stand.

“An armed citizen killed the suspect†needs to be included in all these stories.

Some people are reactive, and some are proactive. I decided to be proactive and got one as soon as I turned 21. Guns are like fire extinguishers, you never know when you might them, so they are good to have just in case.

It might be a good time to mention situational awareness and being man enough to dis-engage from an argument. Maybe if the two that were shot had left or not responded to the shooter it may have not happened.

Seems that America's youth is now taught through TV, movies and video games to be the tough guy and do not hesitate to pull out that illegally carried pistol they got off the street.

I do not get out of my truck anywhere without checking my surroundings first. I do not enter the convenience store if something seems askew. I actually have sat a couple of times in the car until what I saw as odd resolved itselfs. Everytime nothing happened. And I am not afraid to back off if something is not right. Pulling the pistol is always the last, and only then a forced option.

Quoted for truth. Avoidance is the best strategy of all.

• 2 months later...
Guest Tombstone

I moved to TN back in 81 (When we still did our art work on cave walls... At least that is what my daughter says. LOL)

When I first moved to Blount county the worst crime that you would hear of was a DUI or a fight somewhere down the road. After I married we moved into town because of the better education for our future family.

That was twenty years ago and boy has time changed things. In the past few years there has been two murders, some gang fights and a stabbing or two. All of these things have happened within a four block radius of our home. So it didn't take me long to realize that these problems weren't going to go away on their own.

That is why I am legally armed and intensely more aware.

well said!!

you just can't beat situational awareness. But it's still nice to have a fire arm available.

As to not enough people carrying, well I think there are a lot of people that should not be carrying a weapon.