Securing a Handgun in a Moving Vehicle

Guest JeepMonkey

.... I just dont get it as to why he buried them anyway were any of them marked from a strike or something?

x2 If the gun didnt go off during the flight I would have just picked it up and went on my way, Why unload and bury the bullets?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JeepMonkey
x2 If the gun didnt go off during the flight I would have just picked it up and went on my way, Why unload and bury the bullets?
:x:
It's just one of those better-safe-than-sorry things, really.

9 years ago I had a drunk driver hit me and roll my jeep cherokee. My pistol was in the center console and went flying while I was rolling. I was injured pretty badly and was surprised when a Miss State Trooper walked up to the ambulance and handed it to me without asking any questions. This was before I was a LEO.

Guest JeepMonkey
I'am looking at the set ups from this outfit www.grassburr.com
I like the way those are set up. Costly, but it looks like it's worth the extra money. I think in my Grand Cherokee I can mount that down further in the footwell, but I'll have to scope out a good place in the Commander because of the way the glovebox opens. I guess I have a new project tomorrow...

Mine is always on me, but I have thought of rigging a holster to my console for a snubby or something that I could get at quick.

Only place I hate wearing mine on me is the bike. I do not want to be sliding down pavement on my ass and Kimber steel.

Guest Boomhower

I have often thought of mounting one of those cheapo Uncle Mike holsters with a velcro retention strap under my seat (zip tie it to the springs or something)......If I ever buy a dedicated "truck gun", that's probably what I'll do.

Guest Boomhower

If you were gifted enough, you could cut out a little pocket in the side of your console and attach a holster to that. Create some type of a hinge system and a latch so that it just folds out when needed.......My only problem is that I don't know how one could finish it out to make it look presentable, much less hidden.

If you were gifted enough, you could cut out a little pocket in the side of your console and attach a holster to that. Create some type of a hinge system and a latch so that it just folds out when needed.......My only problem is that I don't know how one could finish it out to make it look presentable, much less hidden.

There are several custom car interior companies around that can install a hidden compartment like this if you really want one. Just make sure to sit down when they give you the price.

I like the seat mounted holster from above except that its openly visible when the door is open. Maybe some type of cover?

Guest grimel
his S&W Model 325 literally went through the side window right in front of his face. He had it in the cubby on the passenger's side of the dash, and the first impact sent it flying. The amazing thing was that it didn't go off.

What was amazing about it? It is designed that way.

What makes you think jarring the ammo would make it apt to spontaneously discharge? If you think it could really do that, why stick it in the mud where some unsuspecting person can find it, say when they are grading the area to expand the road?

As to covering this, there is a thread on where to keep your gun in the car. I figured the Miami FBI shootout pretty much covered and fixed this, but, it seems people are doomed to repeat it over and over. A gun loose in the car is begging to be lost.

Guest RISC777
Kinda slow, but working:

http://www.desantisholster.com/storefrontB2CWEB/browse.do?action=refresh_browse&ctg_id=4343

Kingston Car Seat Holster

You have to tunnel down to individual guns to see much of a pic...have seen some better ones in a review somewhere I think.

- OS

So, you have to have a seat bottom that has a separation from the seat and back for the belt to pass through?

Great idea, just wondering what car seats it will or won't work with...

edit:

That floor mount system that wdytia post a link for is intereesting, though a side-of-console or similar is actually more attractive to me.

Edited by RISC777
  • 2 years later...
Guest WingMan380

Gum Creek Customs makes a vehicle holster mount for about $35. You put the mount on the bottom side of your steering column and then your holster attaches to it. Don't have one and have never seen one in person so I can not opine on it's validity.

I have always kept mine either on my hip, or in a sholder holster. Never really bothered me much.

The only problem I see with mounting a holster in a car/truck is how visible is it?

How hard to get to is it?

I would think somewhere around the center console and drivers seat would be ideal. Easy to get to, most people would never see it.

Going on the other side of the console, or under/around the steering wheel is just to much work.