Securing a Handgun in a Moving Vehicle

Guest JeepMonkey

Guest JeepMonkey

Not sure if this is a :wave:, but I did a search and didn't see anything similar to this.

I just found out from Mom that this morning, Dad got t-boned and ended up rolling his Commander. He wasn't hurt, but his S&W Model 325 literally went through the side window right in front of his face. He had it in the cubby on the passenger's side of the dash, and the first impact sent it flying. The amazing thing was that it didn't go off. Of course, Mom is freaking out at me about where my SP101 stays in both of my Jeeps when I'm driving, especially in my Commander. Usually I keep it on my hip in a holster. I definitely want to take a second look at securing it in my cars but having it still accessible should SHTF at a stoplight or something. Below are pictures of the interiors of my Jeeps. I was thinking of mounting a holster with some form of retention to the passenger's side of each console up by the dash where the barrel wouldn't point at a passenger's feet. Keeping it low would also keep it from flying as far should it get knocked loose in a wreck. Any other ideas/suggestions/examples of how y'all do such?

Grand Cherokee:

n503369138_869260_6317.jpg

Commander:

n503369138_1093548_2748.jpg

Edited by JeepMonkey
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JeepMonkey

Yeah, he found it in the median...before the cops got there. :wave:

I thought about that, but I don't want to get hit and something cause it to blow a round off with it on my hip.

Guest DJBiker

Why not just lay it in the center console when it is not on your hip. There are companies that manufacture lock boxes that install inside the center consoles. I know there is one for the F-150, not sure about the Jeep.

Guest JeepMonkey

Gun was fine, it landed in the grass. Muddy, but unharmed. He left the rounds buried in the mud there to be safe.

That would be my ghetto iPod adapter since the aux port has the CD changer plugged into it.

I looked into the lockboxes...nothing for my Jeeps.

Gun was fine, it landed in the grass. Muddy, but unharmed. He left the rounds buried in the mud there to be safe.

That would be my ghetto iPod adapter since the aux port has the CD changer plugged into it.

I looked into the lockboxes...nothing for my Jeeps.

LOL.

Guest JeepMonkey
Safe from?
Accidental discharge. The gun had just been jarred hard enough to knock it about 20 feet through a glass window. Same principle behind if your gun misfires...wait a minute or two then remove the round carefully and bury it in the mud.

Anyways, any ideas or examples of how anyone does it?

Edited by JeepMonkey
Accidental discharge. The gun had just been jarred hard enough to knock it about 20 feet through a glass window. Same principle behind if your gun misfires...wait a minute or two then remove the round carefully and bury it in the mud.

Ah, gotcha. :wave:

I was thinking you meant "safe" as in hidden and was mighty confused!

same thing happened to my wife last year. had it in the door easy to reach. rolled our grand cherokee. the weapon went flying out the window para-medic found it. went ballistic. bystander unloaded it and gave it to my wife who was rather stunned from the roll over. she also has a permit. bruised but not hurt other wise. no problems with officer at the scene either.

Guest JeepMonkey

Yeah, Dad had a Maglite in his door pocket that went flying as well. He said that it stayed in the Jeep though. As for the console/lockboxes, I would prefer it be secure in some form and attached to something sturdy, and not be bouncing around.

Guest Rando

also for saftey did he retrieve the rounds or leave them in the median. Wouldnt want someone to hit them trying to put up a sign or diggimg for something etc...... I just dont get it as to why he buried them anyway were any of them marked from a strike or something?

Guest JeepMonkey
also for saftey did he retrieve the rounds or leave them in the median. Wouldnt want someone to hit them trying to put up a sign or diggimg for something etc...... I just dont get it as to why he buried them anyway were any of them marked from a strike or something?
He didn't say if he went back later to get them or not, but I'm guessing he did. He does when we have a misfire at the range, so it would surprise me if he didn't. "Buried" meant he stuck the bullet tip into the ground. It's just one of those better-safe-than-sorry things, really. He survived rolling a Jeep two complete rolls; the last thing he wanted was a .45ACP round in his foot.

EDIT: Just asked him. He said he voluntarily gave them to one of the responding LEO's so that he would not have to worry about safely getting rid of them.

So, any ideas on keeping a handgun secure in a car other than on your person?

Edited by JeepMonkey
...So, any ideas on keeping a handgun secure in a car other than on your person?

Lotta XD folks have mounted those goofy little plastic holsters in vehicles.

'Bout any plastic/kydex belt or paddle job could be mounted without much trouble.

Somebody, Desantis maybe?, makes a seat holster, too, been posted here before.

My gat rides comfortably enough where it always is, in IWB. I just took longest trip with it last weekend, over to Pulaski and back, no comfort issues. Guess if I rolled Little Red, my uber weenie S-10 pickumup, it might hurt me on side, but thinking that's not much to worry about in overall scheme of things.

- OS

Guest JeepMonkey

Tuffy makes good stuff; I had a lockbox of their's in my last Wrangler. Only downside is they don't make much, if anything, for the Jeeps I have now. I Googled the DeSantis holsters and their site is down for right now, so I will check them out sooner or later. I'd take something to that effect over drilling through the consoles, though.