Hypothetical Question

Guest robert83

Guest robert83

Not sure if I would try this because it could perhaps end deadly for me but here it is.

If someone tried to rob you on the streets and only brings a knife. You draw your gun and have the guy drop the knife. You then tell the bad guy to give you his cell phone. You then use it to call the cops and tell the cops you are calling from the muggers phone.

Could this be considered robbing the mugger or perhaps considered false imprisonment or kidnapping?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lordie.

What if you have him take clothes off: are you aiding and abetting public indecency?

What if you have him howl like a dog: disturbing the peace?

Geez, maybe he's black, or gay: most anything you do might be considered a hate crime, eh?

Truly bizarre hypothetical.

My advice, don't lose sleep over any of those scenarios, including yours.

- OS

Lordie.

What if you have him take clothes off: are you aiding and abetting public indecency?

What if you have him howl like a dog: disturbing the peace?

Geez, maybe he's black, or gay: most anything you do might be considered a hate crime, eh?

Truly bizarre hypothetical.

My advice, don't lose sleep over any of those scenarios, including yours.

- OS

+1

Guest grimel
Not sure if I would try this because it could perhaps end deadly for me but here it is.

If someone tried to rob you on the streets and only brings a knife. You draw your gun and have the guy drop the knife. You then tell the bad guy to give you his cell phone. You then use it to call the cops and tell the cops you are calling from the muggers phone.

Could this be considered robbing the mugger or perhaps considered false imprisonment or kidnapping?

If he has a knife and you have managed to draw without being stabbed/cut, why, pray tell, are you wasting time talking?

OH, and WTF ONLY a knife?

Guest canynracer

LMFAO!!!!

Ok, I will play....after you give him the phone back, throw him a few bucks for the cell phone charges.

Guest JeepMonkey

That's like beating a man senseless and then saying he owes you a new pair of brass knuckles because his tooth scuffed them.

Guest OttoMaddox

The guy will have dropped the knife after I draw because the bullet wounds to his body will require all his attention. This makes any phone usage beside the point.

Guest betobeto

Why talk at all? shoot the terd and help him to not victimize someone less prepared in the future.

Edited by betobeto
Guest DJBiker

If you have to pull your weapon on a man with a knife, you better drop that man with several well placed rounds. He can simply replace the knife in his pocket and then scream about a man with a gun. You will face jail time and will be paying that man lots of money over a long time.

If you are pulling out a weapon, the time for talk is over, bring it out smoking and end the fight as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Guest JeepMonkey
If you have to pull your weapon on a man with a knife, you better drop that man with several well placed rounds. He can simply replace the knife in his pocket and then scream about a man with a gun. You will face jail time and will be paying that man lots of money over a long time.

If you are pulling out a weapon, the time for talk is over, bring it out smoking and end the fight as quickly and efficiently as possible.

+100

No witnesses maybe?

Shoot him in both feet and run.

- OS

Guest DJBiker
No witnesses maybe?

- OS

Unfortunately your rounds placed in the feet of your attacker are your witnesses. You will be charged with maliscous wounding and will pay for the rest of your life to a crippled thug.

He will say that he asked you what time it was, and you shot him! Remember, you don't have any witnesses either, and he has two gunshot wounds with your bullets.

An attacker that was shot and killed during the offense doesn't argue about what happened.

Guest DJBiker
And he knows who I am, how?

And that pistol can disappear for awhile, too, ya know?

Just sayin...

- OS

If you carry a revolver, you might get away with it, but with an automatic, it would be very doubtful. Remember when you purchased your weapon, you gave the dealer a right and left thumbprint, right? Well, when you load your magazine, you probably use a thumb and you leave a thumbprint on the bullet, which will probably be destroyed, but there is a pretty good print on the ejected casing which you didn't stop to find.

Ok, you use a mag loader, well unless you load your mags with surgery gloves on, your fingerprints are all over those cases. The LEO will find the cases and drive right to your door.

Better off to end the fight when you decide to shoot and then call 911 and report the incident. This is the only legal way to handle the situation, and we all want to abide with the law right? That is why we have a permit instead of carrying illegally.

Guest betobeto

Better off to end the fight when you decide to shoot and then call 911 and report the incident. This is the only legal way to handle the situation, and we all want to abide with the law right? That is why we have a permit instead of carrying illegally.

LOL +1

If you carry a revolver, you might get away with it, but with an automatic, it would be very doubtful. Remember when you purchased your weapon, you gave the dealer a right and left thumbprint, right? Well, when you load your magazine, you probably use a thumb and you leave a thumbprint on the bullet, which will probably be destroyed, but there is a pretty good print on the ejected casing which you didn't stop to find.

Ok, you use a mag loader, well unless you load your mags with surgery gloves on, your fingerprints are all over those cases. The LEO will find the cases and drive right to your door.

A little off-topic but...you haven't been watching the legislature in Nashville have you? I say that because there is a bill that would remove the requirement that gun dealers take your thumbprint. One of the reasons stated was because in the nearly 2 million plus transactions since it went to effect a copy of a thumbprint has only been asked for ONCE, and then it was taken so badly it was unable to be used.

So I really wouldn't be worried about a thumbprint on used brass being used to identify someone.

If you carry a revolver, you might get away with it, but with an automatic, it would be very doubtful....

Ok, you use a mag loader, well unless you load your mags with surgery gloves on, ....

Better off to end the fight when you decide to shoot and then call 911 ...

Okay, okay. I'll snuff the guy, I promise. :rolleyes:

- OS

Guest jdavis

is it not true that fingerprints in the united states are 90+% untraceable (i was told this anyway, by an leo)? i would never advise to draw your weapon unless you are planning to defend yourself.......... as far as using someone elses cell phone it wouldnt be a problem for me, dialing 911 to report having to shoot a bg wouldnt be theft i would give him his phone back right after the call.

Guest grimel
No witnesses maybe?

- OS

1) shooting to wound is slight no-no

2) shooting to wound could easily be used to show no fear of serious injury/death

3) you get charged with assault with a deadly weapon

IOW, you ain't John Wayne and this ain't the movies so forget all the shooting to wound nonsense.