Vet Denied Gun Permit Over PTSD Care

Guest nraforlife

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty crappy. Glad they reversed the decision and gave him his permit. I could see it if he had been committed or something MAYBE, but I don't know a single person who hasn't had to go through some type of counseling after Iraq/Afghanistan.

It may be the standard now to "decompress"..but it hasn't always been so.

When I returned from Iraq/Kuwait in the first gulf war, I got off the bus and the only 'decompression' I received was in the form of 3 (yes 3) bottles of 28% by volume, bottles of beer..(gotta love EKU28), a hot shower and my bunk.

I'd say the Military has come a long way in this sort of thing..but please understand. PTSD will be with that man, and many others, for the rest of their lives. One of the reasons that many vets won't speak of things is because of the reaction it invokes in them...they don't feel like being "the weirdo" that acts funny when he talks about his time in the military...

or..the popular term when I was in the Army was "he's shot out"...meaning worthless..defective in some way.

I'm not familiar with decompression but I'm willing to bet that many soldiers will keep their mouth shut around strangers if they bring this stuff up.

I know I do.

Guest gunslinger707
It may be the standard now to "decompress"..but it hasn't always been so.

When I returned from Iraq/Kuwait in the first gulf war, I got off the bus and the only 'decompression' I received was in the form of 3 (yes 3) bottles of 28% by volume, bottles of beer..(gotta love EKU28), a hot shower and my bunk.

I'd say the Military has come a long way in this sort of thing..but please understand. PTSD will be with that man, and many others, for the rest of their lives. One of the reasons that many vets won't speak of things is because of the reaction it invokes in them...they don't feel like being "the weirdo" that acts funny when he talks about his time in the military...

or..the popular term when I was in the Army was "he's shot out"...meaning worthless..defective in some way.

I'm not familiar with decompression but I'm willing to bet that many soldiers will keep their mouth shut around strangers if they bring this stuff up.

I know I do.

I agree Tower Vietnam Vet's seldom if ever talk about their experience's ther except with another Vet. PTSD is FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!

Guest JeepMonkey
PTSD is FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!
Sad but true. My Grandfather fought in WWII (Pacific) and Korea, back in the days before PTSD was even a thought. Until his dying day he never spoke a word of what he saw. The slightest bang or surprise to him made him hit the floor. It scared the living :wave: out of me when he did it until I was old enough to understand why he did it.

The GOA warned of this when the VA dumped over 11,000 names into the NCIS computer. Attempts made to stop this discrimination were thwarted by anti-gun groups and surprisingly the NRA opposed effects to stop the VA from giving out veterans names treated for PTSD.

As stated in the article there are specific parameters for restricting gun ownership defined by the BATFE and that is what should be used by states for carry permits.

Guest shadow12

I had to go see a shrink upon my return, The shrink asked why I was there. I told him the Guard made me come to make sure I wasn't crazy. He asked questions I gave him yes and no answers. He asked me why I was being so short with my answers, so I told him, "if you write PTSD on anything in that file, you will kill my career".

I know guys that came home and never left the FOB in Iraq, they claimed PTSD and got a bunch of VA bennies for it. But the guys that actuallyy saw ****, can't say anything because it will kill their career, so we stay quiet and fix it ourselves.

This is the ****ty part of it, but if I want to keep doing what I do, I have no choice.

I agree Tower Vietnam Vet's seldom if ever talk about their experience's ther except with another Vet. PTSD is FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I thought. My Grandfather never, ever talked about his experiences in WWII. He was a POW. After he died I found a map that showed the route the Nazis marched them across toward the end of the war. The coworker always talked about it in explicit details. I'm not squeemish at all but some of the things he talked about still make me sick to my stomach. Always wondered if it was BS or his way of working through it.