Anyone own a Ruger SR9

Volzfan

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i've had 2 of them... the first one i had was awesome, put over 3000 rounds through it w/ maybe 3-4 hiccups... trigger was so-so (not horrible, but far from what you'd call a good trigger), however the trigger did improve slightly as the round count went up.

It was very accurate, very easy to shoot, and the ergos/thinness and balance feel excellent in the hand...

I decided to trade it in towards a "blackened" version based purly on aesthetics and had a totally different experience with the 2nd one.

While i learned an easy trigger fix that improves and lightens the trigger by leaps and bounds, the 2nd one shot over 6" left @ 7yrds (YIKES!), so since i was putting a hiviz sight on it anyways... , i brought it to a gunsmith to put on the new sight... well, because of a manufacturing defect, the slide went to HiViz were their top gunsmith found the problem and custom fitted the sight.

Got it back took it to te range to zero the sights... still WAY left, ended up with the front sight almost falling out of the dovetail for POA=POI! Off to Ruger.

Ruger's customer service was great... after i applied some pressure (it took an angry email to the CEO to get expedited service... waiting the normal service period of a month or two on a brand new gun had me pissed!) and in under 2 weeks i got it back w/ a new slide.

So, new slide, smoothed over trigger... fantastic gun for about 2 weeks... Until the tab on the bottom of the striker assembly snapped off while dry-firing it one morning before heading to the range!

I was furious, i had owned the gun for not even 2 months and it had spent most of that time in someone else's hands.

I called my (upper tier) contact at ruger, explained i was pissed, and that i wanted a brand new gun over-nighted to a local gun shop for me to either pick up or trade in towards a different gun... and sure enough, they sent a new gun.

I'd had it. I'd really enjoyed the gun when i had a good one, and really feel it was real close to being a better feeling glock, but it was clear that even w/ trigger work it was not going to ever be as good as i wanted, and i had seen first hand that the build quality, at least in my case, was suspect.

I went home with a different gun.

if you want to stay in that price range, and don't require a manual thumb safety, i'd say get a steyr m9-a1 (most gun for the money you can get on this planet).

if you need a manual safety, get an FNH FNP9 (you can get a thumb safety as an option, and currently they have a promo where you get a free blade-tech set-up).

if you've got a little more loot, get an M&P w/ safety or w/o.

just my opinion.

Edited by CK1
I've had/have one. Best handgun I've ever owned, period. Accurate, flat and light for CC... I haven't experienced a single problem. It is, IMHO, "perfection" perfected.

in all fairness, that's exactly how i felt about the first one i had...

starting to wonder if you have the gun that i traded steelharp!