Question about HCP

Guest Rem_700

Guest Rem_700

I posted this back when it happend and its nothing that im proud of and I am embarassed to even talk about it,but I need to know.I think im fine,but I would hate to pay the $115 application fee just to be denied.Not this past xmas but the one prior to that,me and my fiance got into an arguement and the nieghbors called the law,they come and to make a long story short,they had seen some ruts in the drive way where i was spinning the gravel a few days prior and he called that a violent act and said i had done it that night.He takes me to jail and i get charged with Domestic Violence.I get out of jail in 12hrs and go to court a week later and the DA says that since it was my first time getting in trouble and that he thought it was a mis understanding that he would postpone the court date for 6 mons and if I didn't get in no more trouble he would drop the charge.Well 6 mons went by and I didn't get in any trouble and he droped the charges and i went ahead and got an expungement of the arrest,even though I wasn't convicted,I didn't want it showing up at all.I know the law says you can't own a gun if you have been convicted of a misdemenor domestic violence charge.But i wasn't charged and I had it expunged.I have since bought 2 handguns and had background checks ran both times and I was approved both times.The last one I bought was last week,and I was approved.Do you think this will prevent me from getting my HCP?Sorry for such along post.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Astra900

I suppose anything could happen, but I think you will be alright.

Think about this, look at all the convicted felons that have slipped through the system and received a HCP in the past???? You done it right, by getting it all off your record:up: I don't blame you for sweating it, but I think it will all be for nothing, You'll be fine bro.:koolaid:

Guest canynracer

you should try paragraphs, and that long thing at the bottom of the keyboard is called a space bar, use it after punctuation. :D

ROFL...I am kidding....in all seriousness, you should be fine...you could spen $20 bucks and run your own BC and see what comes up

I'd say you're fine..

But the department of safety will see this in your BG check.

JFYI if you were booked into the jail and charged then you will still have an arrest record, even if the charges were dropped and expunged. Expunged records are only expungement of public records and do not effect records at the Sherrifs office or the FBI and TBI. (TCA 40-32-101)

The TBI has an "expunged offender and pretrial diversion database" where it keeps charges that have been expunged only for law enforcement purposes, and any future courts issues a person might have. But they are not public record and cannot be looked at by anyone other than LE or courts for investigative purposes only. So if someone runs a criminal history on you that is not law/government related, it will not show up.

But the key word is CONVICTED. Arrested and charged, Yes.. Charges dropped= not convicted.

It's not a big issue, I wouldn't worry...